Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can editor prefab updates be batched?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Silly_Rollo, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I've been using the new prefab workflow for level chunks and it has mostly been working. One thing that's a headache is how slow updates can be. If you have a prefab that is used in many other prefabs even on a high spec machine (current gen intel cpu, 32gb ram, fast ssd, etc) the updates can be pretty slow. This can be particularly aggravating if you need to update a couple values on a prefab. Say you want to change the scale manually. You type in the X hit tab (wait for update), type in the Y hit tab (wait for update), and then type in the Z (wait for update).

If updates can't be quicker if they could at least batch up updates and only update when no changes have come in X time that'd be a huge improvement. In the previous case if I could at least type in all my scale values and then wait I wouldn't mind so much.

2. halley

halley

I haven't got so many scenes or prefabs to hit this yet, but I already wondered about the timing and adjustability of the "auto save." If you step into one prefab, there is a checkmark above the prefab scene view to turn off auto save. But it's not clear if you can turn it off when doing the batch updates (select multiple in project), as there is no such button in the inspector.