Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

camera is tumbling

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by polyphobia3d, Nov 26, 2010.

1. polyphobia3d

polyphobia3d

i am currently digging into javascript and writing some small scripts, but i'm currently having some problems with a camera script. I read out the MouseX and MouseY and use it to change the cameras local rotation

Code (csharp):
    1.     if (Input.GetMouseButton(2))
    2.     {
    4.     var verticalrotation : float = horizontalSpeed * Input.GetAxis ("Mouse X");
    5.     var horizontalrotation : float = verticalSpeed * Input.GetAxis ("Mouse Y");
    7.     transform.Rotate (Vector3.right*horizontalrotation);
    8.     transform.Rotate (Vector3.up*verticalrotation);
    10.     }
    and

Code (csharp):
    1.     if (Input.GetMouseButton(2))
    2.     {
    4.     var verticalrotation : float = horizontalSpeed * Input.GetAxis ("Mouse X");
    5.     var horizontalrotation : float = verticalSpeed * Input.GetAxis ("Mouse Y");
    7.     transform.Rotate (horizontalrotation,verticalrotation,0);
    8.     }
    of course do the same, but when i move my mouse in circles over the table it rotates the camera on its local z axis and creates a tumbling motion around the horizon, but i always want the camera to be upright

2. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

you need to distinguish between global/local rotations

3. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

To elaborate a bit, cumulative local yaw and pitch (which is what you're doing) can indeed result in perceived roll. If you want typical 'FPS-style' mouse control where the object always remains essentially upright, you'll need to use a different method (such as tracking the yaw and pitch angles yourself and then building the orientation from scratch each update, e.g. by assigning to transform.eulerAngles).