Search Unity

Camera freeze with Vuforia AR under Android with 64 bit

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by mj321, Jun 17, 2019.

1. mj321

mj321

I'm in the process of developing a small AR app. Everything worked fine with Mono as scripting backend. But then i had to learn that the Google Playstore requires 64bit App bundles. In order to enable the "ARM64" option i had to switch the scripting backend to "IL2CPP".

With this setting, the App still works, but whenever a marker is detected, the camera feed freezes for about 0.2 to 0.5 seconds.

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Unity 2018.4.0f1 (i can't use a 2019.x version, because the auto-focus for the camera under Android doesn't work.)

Vuforia version 8.1.11

2. mj321

mj321

Additions:

- The effect is also visible in the Vuforia samples, but not as strong. I believe this is because the sample uses fewer markers. I have around 60 in my project.

- it happens with both image markers and VuMarkers

- The effect is much stronger in 64bit mode (ARM64) than in 32bit mode (ARMV7)

3. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

What device are you using when this is observed? Settings->About phone/device->Model number. Or is it across multiple devices?

This will help us to better replicate. Also, if you can share your device database, that would be very helpful. Feel free to DM me a link if you don't want to post here.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

4. mj321

mj321

I tested this on:
    Xiaomi Mi A2 (Android 9)
    Bluboo S1 (Android 7)

It happens on both devices, the effect is much stronger on the BluBoo (much weaker CPU).

Would it still help to get the device database? If yes, where do i find it?

5. mj321

mj321

Addition #2:

Today i made a quick test with Unity 2019.1.8f1 and the new Vuforia 8.3.8.

In a minimal sample, started from an empty scene (not from one of the Vuforia samples), i could not reproduce the problem. Currently i don't have time to longer experiments, but as soon as i get to it, i'll report back.

meedabit likes this.
  6. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @mj321,

Unfortunately, we don't have either of those devices. Keep us informed if you run into the issue again and we'll take it from there.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

7. skdev3

skdev3

Have some problem on:
    Oppo realme 3 (RMX1821)(Android 9.0 Pie)
    Oppo F11 Pro (OP4883) (Android 9.0 Pie)
    Mi8 lite (Android 9.0)

8. meedabit

meedabit

9. skdev3

skdev3

Need Used other version NDK ( "android-ndk-r16b")

meedabit likes this.
  10. mj321

mj321

Thanks, but changing the NDK did not have any effect for me.

11. cgydev

cgydev

Hi, Having the same problem with 64-bit builds. Following are my parameters,

Number of Image targets are about 500.
    Phone Pixel 2 XL.
    Vuforia 8.1.10
    Unity 2018.3.8f1

By making a build in Mono, the loading time for the scene with these targets is about 4-5 seconds. While making the same using IL2CPP then loading time is more than 20 secs.

While checking the logcat when the scene is loading I can see the log messages of Image Targets being loaded, once they are loaded the scene becomes responsive again.

Unfortunately while developing the APP I was only testing on Mono, so did not see the affect of this till the Deployment stage arrived. @meedabit , Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

12. karitall

karitall

Hi, Do not know if this is connected to above problem but it is still a problem for me. Latest weeek I have recognized issues where I need to make overrides in Android Manifest. But when uninstalling the package ARCore XR plugin the manifest issue solves.
    But the issue with no animations dissappear.
    Another issue that has come up is total freeze of camera when I run the Android app. This camera issue is also solved by uninstall of ARCore XR Plugin. But I still not get animations going but just text boxes initiated via script when gameobject detected..

13. Sika_MC

Sika_MC

Vuforia

Hi @cgydev,

The issue described has been solved with 9.1.7.

Thank you.
    Vuforia Engine Support