Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Bugs with Unity Ads 4.0.0 in Unity Editor

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by tessellation, Jan 20, 2022.

1. tessellation

tessellation

I found several problems while upgrading from 3.7.5 to 4.0.0. These problems do not occur when running on the Android device, just the Unity Editor (2020.3.25f1 LTS in our case).

1. While testing in the Unity Editor, the [Skip] button on interstitial ads reports UnityAdsShowCompletionState.COMPLETED to the OnUnityAdsShowComplete listener instead of UnityAdsShowCompletionState.SKIPPED.

2. For each ad you show, listener callbacks accumulate and are sent multiple times. Unlike when testing on the device or calling Load(placementId, listener), where listener.OnUnityAdsAdLoaded() is called only for the current load operation, when you call Show(placementId, listener), you get one callback to listener.OnUnityAdsShowComplete() for every ad you ever showed.

3. As mentioned in other forum posts, there's no support yet for Domain Reload disabled, which significantly improves iteration time for in-editor testing. As discussed in the other forum post, the fix would be quite easy for Unity Ad developers to make.

Thank you!

2. LIU_Hanyang96

LIU_Hanyang96

Unity Technologies

Hi tessellation,

Thank you for your suggestions. About the ads showing the editor, they are just dummy ads. Therefore, it may show a different result from the actual devices. Sometimes they may not be correct. We suggest you test your ads SDK on real devices.

We will also send your suggestions to the development team. Thank you for that.

3. tessellation

tessellation

Yes, I'm aware these are dummy ads, but the API should still function and be consistent when possible with the operation in a built app (the Unity Player). I do test in both cases but this is just broken and looking at the Unity Ads C# code, an easy fix for most programmers. Also as I said these are new bugs, introduced with the 4.0.0 version, except for the Domain Reload problem which has been around since the feature was introduced in Unity 2019, 2 years ago.

Thank you for passing these bugs on to the development team. I've also submitted a formal bug with these issues.

PeachyPixels likes this.
  4. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

I can verify both these issues. The second is particularly frustrating.

@LIU_Hanyang96 Is there a timeline for the first 4.0.0 bugfix update please?

I've migrated a project from 3.7.5 to 4.0.0 and would rather not revert, given the large amount of breaking interface changes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  5. LIU_Hanyang96

LIU_Hanyang96

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thank you for these suggestions.

We have already reproduced this issue in our test projects. Our team already knows this issue and will publish the fix as soon as possible. However, I am not able to share the timeline.
    You can test your project on real devices temporarily. I am sorry for your experience.

6. nindim

nindim

Just tried upgrading to 4.0.0 to fix an audio issue and encountered the multiple callback firing bug. I'll wait for these issues to be fixed and upgrade when the new release comes out.

7. nindim

nindim

Hi @LIU_Hanyang96 ,

Have you got any idea when we can expect a release that fixes these issue?

Thank you.

8. LIU_Hanyang96

LIU_Hanyang96

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I cannot give you an exact time, but our development has already known this issue. It will be fixed in 4.0.1 or 4.0.2.

9. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @LIU_Hanyang96,

Please could Unity consider issuing a hotfix for the accumulating listener bug on its own? (assuming the next version is weeks away)

It's such a fundamental bug in a key workflow path (for monetisation)

It really is making life very difficult to test any ad related code in the editor. It's resulted in having to debug builds on device which is harder and way more time consuming.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    nindim likes this.
  10. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @LIU_Hanyang96

I just updated to 4.0.1 and the accumulated listener bug is still occurring. Six weeks and one release later, yet this fundamental and simple to fix bug still exists.

Given that 4.x includes many breaking changes over 3.x, reverting to 3.x is going to be just as painful as living with 4.x

Could you escalate this and ask if a 4.0.2 fix (with only this bug) be released ASAP please?

11. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi @LIU_Hanyang96

Further to the above, I can also confirm the skip bug is still present.

So skipping the ad results in a status of completed.

12. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

13. LIU_Hanyang96

LIU_Hanyang96

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I think you can wait for the SDK v4.1.0 which will be published at the end of March.

14. nindim

nindim

I'm going to reiterate again how essential functional test ads in the editor are. Most development in the real world is done in the Editor, that is a key advantage of Unity over many other engines, on device builds are created much less frequently. If the Editor ads are broken, the game in the Editor (where most of the development work is actually done) will be buggy at best and completely broken at worst for the whole team.

Can the Editor Test Ads be added to the internal Dev/QA sweep sheets you have to ensure that a release never goes out again with these Editor Test Ads broken, please?

With that out of the way and with all due respect @LIU_Hanyang96 , I feel like the level of service we are getting here is not really good enough for an issue like this. If our customers were encountering a blocker, we would try and get a hotfix out in 2-3 days, not 2-3 months.

Given that the packages are standalone and delivered via the Package Manager, the speed at which the devs should be able to update things should really be a lot quicker than this. If QA is the bottleneck because you need to test against so many versions of the engine, you could just roll out unverified packages to speed things up.

Tx, denis_bogdanov and PeachyPixels like this.
  15. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

I just tested the 4.1.0 package that was released yesterday.

Happy to report that both the accumulating callback and skip status issues have now been fixed.

Thank you!

16. CSGamesDev

CSGamesDev

I just updated to 4.1.0 aswell, and I definitly keep getting accumulating callback in the editor, so please do not close this issue yet.