Search Unity

Feedback BUG: Deactivated TextMesh Pro input fields show blinking caret

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sinister-Design, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Sinister-Design

Sinister-Design

I've run into the following situation using Unity 2018.2.9.f1:
    • A TMP_InputField has focus and a blinking caret.
    • I call ActivateInputField() on a new TMP_InputField.
    • Result: both the prior TMP_InputField and the newly activated TMP_InputField display blinking carets simultaneously.
    This issue never arose when I was using default Unity InputFields, which makes me think that this has something to do with how TMP_InputField behaves with the ActivateInputField() method. I attempted to solve the issue by calling DeactivateInputField() on the prior TMP_InputField, but it did nothing--the deactivated field would just keep displaying the blinking caret anyway.

(Note: a related issue was raised last year, but it seems as though it was only raised with respect to TMP_InputFields losing focus due to user clicks or keyboard button presses. Here, I want to force a TMP_InputField to cease displaying a blinking caret programmatically.)

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filled a bug report?

3. Sinister-Design

Sinister-Design

Not within the editor, no. First I wanted to see if this truly was a bug you didn't know about, or if this was a known issue with an established work-around.

Edit: I have now submitted one!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    karl_jones likes this.
  4. Sinister-Design

Sinister-Design

Out of curiosity: any update on this? Has anyone looked into it yet?