Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Adjusting the actual light might help; make sure that your project is set to Linear instead of Gamma rendering and consider using Tonemapping.

Hey,

-What renderer and Unity version are you using?
    -What type of lighting setup?
    -Any post effects?
    -Forward rendering?
    -Is the tower shader opaque?(does it write to depth)

Please update to the latest ASE version(You can check it under (Window > Amplify Shader Editor > About) and re-save your shaders.

http://amplify.pt/download

The problem is very likely related to your Unity version, we do not support Alpha, Beta, or experimental releases.
    That said, if you removed ASE and you still see a drop in performance, it's probably not related to our editor.

What do you see on your console?

And to elaborate, our Editor does not influence the performance of your final build.(I'm referring specifically to editor work) Always profile a development build, not the Unity editor, as this will not be accurate due to editor specific functions.

2. Innovine

Innovine

This issue went away after I rebooted my computer. Restarting unity had no effect. Maybe something with the video card drivers, or steam vr compositor? :/

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hard to tell when using Alpha Unity versions, not something we're familiar with in this case.

4. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey guys,

Having an issue I'm trying to figure out.

I'm working on a shockwave distortion particle shader and starting out by setting up a simple unlit, transparent screen colour passthrough shader.

upload_2020-12-29_20-56-46.png
    upload_2020-12-29_20-57-15.png

The colour doesn't match what's behind as you can see in the shot above.
    If I use HDRP's own unlit shader with the distortion option, it works perfectly (I've offset the result so it's visible).

upload_2020-12-29_20-58-9.png

Any idea how to fix this?

5. grossimatte

grossimatte

Hello,
    Is it possible to recreate the following effect with AS?

Shader breakdown/source code can be found here:
    http://crazybitsstudios.com/rim-lig...h=d521bf36f0fca6abf3b6aa196fd78c6f#comment-79

Specifically, I am interested in the following functions:

- Rim Light to be applied to the sprite contour only, even if the light is not on the same Z as sprite;
    - Controlling how much of the ambient/direct light affect the sprite;

Goal is to have artistic control over the character's lighting, to achieve a more cinematic/dynamic look.

Thanks!

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, not sure what could be happening but we'd be happy to check it out as soon as possible.

Can you forward us both the ASE and Shader Graph versions to support@amplify.pt?
    Along with details on Unity and SRP version used.

Hello,

I don't see why not, you can actually create your own template if you need to.

Do you have any specific questions in mind? I should point out that you wont get lit sprites out of the box using the built-in renderer, this involves some work. With URP however, you do get Lit sprites, the 2d experimental lighting is supported.

7. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Thanks, Ricardo!

I'm just doing a few more tests. Initially I wasn't using Shader Graph (just HDRP's own unlit shader), but I've tried a custom shader with SG too and it works for both distortion and screen colour, the key variable for screen colour I found being the exposure toggle (needs to be ON to match the exposure in the scene).

upload_2020-12-30_7-40-16.png

I'll send you guys an e-mail shortly.

EDIT: Sent!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  8. Kokusho

Kokusho

Hello,

I'm having a problem with the new baked GI / shadowmask mode of URP in Unity 2020.2. Distant shadow (baked ones) don't seems to show on AES shader. I tried with the standards templates but to no avail.

Is there a way to make shadowmask GI work with AES made shaders ?

Here's a screenshot to illustrate the issue.
    I'm using Unity 2020.2.1f1 , URP 10.2.2, EAS 1.8.8.000

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  9. Nova-Shade

Nova-Shade

Hi here,
    Been working with amplify since three years ago and love it, but today is the first time i'm posting here for some help :
    I updated to Unity 2020.2 and HDRP 10.2.2 and all shaders fails to compile. I have tried in 2020.1 and HDRP 7.1.1 and it works good however.
    I have tried to open the shaders and compile them again but it doesn't solve it. Even more weird if I create a new blank HD shader it is also pink.

What the console is telling me is :
    " undeclared identifier 'IsGammaSpace' at line 1483 (on d3d11)"
    " ndeclared identifier '_BlendMode' at pink/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@10.2.2/Runtime/Material/Material.hlsl(51) (on d3d11) "

Note : I have the latest ASE version (1.8.8)

Both Lit and Unlit HD shaders templates gives the same result

Thank you in advance for any hints or help concerning this problem.

Liderangel likes this.
  10. Liderangel

Liderangel

We are having the exact same problem! Same solution attempts, errors, all with same version.

11. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Running 1.8.8 shader editor and unity 2020.1.17 and HDRP 8.3.1

Shader error in 'DBK HDRP/Doors': invalid subscript 'previousPositionOS' at line 4233 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DECALS_3RT SHADOW_MEDIUM USE_CLUSTERED_LIGHTLIST DEBUG_DISPLAY _ALPHATEST_ON
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    Disabled keywords: _SURFACE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK DECALS_OFF DECALS_4RT USE_FPTL_LIGHTLIST SHADOW_LOW SHADOW_HIGH _USECUSTOMCOLOR_ON INSTANCING_ON _DOUBLESIDED_ON _BLENDMODE_ALPHA _BLENDMODE_ADD _BLENDMODE_PRE_MULTIPLY _ENABLE_FOG_ON_TRANSPARENT UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  12. koirat

koirat

Some more than 11 days ago I got the same problem.
    They gave me a link to their side (So I can download it from there) and said that new version will be soon available as asset.
    I decided to wait for a "Package manager" version.
    As of today it is not available and we all got this ugly "undeclared identifier" bugs.

So when should we expect it to show, and why it is still not there ?

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we should be able to get back to you with additional details soon!

That's odd, is this using the default URP Lit shader?

Apologies for the inconvenience, we are aware of the problem and currently looking into a solution.

In the meantime, for most cases, opening the shader, making sure that it's set to HDRP and saving it(reconnect any broken connections) should resolve the problem.

However, we strongly recommend that you give us some time to sort this version mismatch on our side.

Not the case, your issue was caused by something else. The version we had recommend at the time as since moved to the Asset Store as well, you should be able to update using the Package Manager. That is if you're not experiencing the Package Manager issue that's being going around, unrelated to our plugin, that would have you delete the cache to properly update.

This newly reported HDRP problem is due to a version mismatch(due to samples created for older HDRP versions) which we are currently trying to work out. In any case, it should still be possible to create new HDRP shader.

We will post details soon.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

@TheOtherMonarch

Hey folks, quick heads-up on one of the HDRP issues. There is indeed a template problem with 2020.2.1 that we're currently tracking out.

However, the previousPositionOS error is likely caused by something else.

If you're seeing that message, check if you're using UV Set 5 or 6; HDRP reserves 5 and 6, you won't be able to use them; go tup to 7,8,9.

nfdev likes this.
  15. Kokusho

Kokusho

Yes the left one (blue) is Unity's stock URP/Lit while the right one is (gray) is Amplify stock template (Universal/PBR).
    BTW because I'm working on a custom lightning shader (unlit) I found an AES node "SRP Baked GI" but can't find a way to make it work, and can't find any documentation about it. Is there an example somewhere of this node used ?

16. TextusGames

TextusGames

Hello. There is some kind of serialization or import slow down in 2020.2.1f (ASE - Version 1.8.8.000 - December 21, 2020)
    Then I ctreate Amplify shader graph it takes 2 minutes. And than I save graph it takes more thatn 1 minute.

If I create built - in shader graph (provided with unity) it is created and saved almost instantly.
    upload_2021-1-5_15-1-50.png

17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, same thing on a new empty project?
    Anything on the console?

18. TextusGames

TextusGames

The issue was not related to ASE.

The issue was happenning even without ASE. Then creating any shader (except shadergraph).

The culprit is enabled AsynchronousShaderCompilation.
    Then it is disabled everything works fast.

Another evidence that asynchronous stuff is broken in Unity.
    upload_2021-1-5_15-27-41.png upload_2021-1-5_15-28-15.png

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Ah, that's great, thanks for sharing.

One of our devs is on it, hopefully we can adapt something on our side.

TextusGames likes this.
  20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Please check the latest update from our website, we added a toggle to our Grab Screen Color node.

21. AndreiMarian

AndreiMarian

Hello. Does the Amplify license expire or it's lifetime?

22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

The license it self does not expire, you're also entitled to all updates for 1.x version.

Details: https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Do you have a specific case in mind?

23. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

1:1 results with the SG version. Thank you!

upload_2021-1-7_8-47-43.png

Distortion still seems to be off, however.

upload_2021-1-7_8-55-31.png
    upload_2021-1-7_8-55-48.png

vs. Shader Graph results:

upload_2021-1-7_8-56-34.png
    upload_2021-1-7_8-56-2.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  24. AndreiMarian

AndreiMarian

Thanks, no, it's clear now.

I'd like to purchase a license and before that I'd like to know how much time in terms of updates would I get, considering the current version is v1.8.8. It would help me pretty much to know when approximately v2 is due.
    Thank you.

EDIT:
    Is there a paid support tier or alike?

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great!

Hard to predict when a v2 would be available but it's safe to say that acquiring it now would be the more affordable option.

26. AndreiMarian

AndreiMarian

I've seen that and indeed, I can say it's attractive. But you know, it would be great to have a general clue about what you pay for. Like would I be covered for at least 2021?
    I apologize if this isn't quite the place to discuss this. Maybe you'll point me in the right direction.

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I understand, please do ask any questions you might have. We have recently added support for 2020.x, as soon as 2021 leaves its alpha/beta stage, it's safe to assume that ASE 1.x would be available for it.

However, we can't know how things are going to unfold with 2021 on Unity's side; if things progress as they did with 2020, it will be a standard update. If not, we'll be sure to post details beforehand.

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

MirzaBeig likes this.
  29. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Do you know what may be off with distortion with the unlit node on HDRP?

30. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Yes, this was a tricky one. The problem is that Unity own Material Inspector for Unlit type shaders ( which we use ) is disabling the shader's Distortion pass if certain internal properties aren't set as they want.
    If you open your material with a text editor (p.e. Notepad++) you'll notice a section called disabledShaderPasses: and over there the DistortionVectors will be among the disabled passes.
    If you edit that DistortionVectors line out the distortion effect will start appearing.
    We are already working on a way to prevent this from happening and will be available on our next build.

MirzaBeig likes this.
  31. AndreiMarian

AndreiMarian

32. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hey, thanks so much for staying on top of things. I can continue with with the updated exposure and LOD update to the grab pass node. Working on some new shaders already. :)

33. FloBeber

FloBeber

Hi there!

I've been struggling with this for some time. I'm trying to figure out how to make a transparent shader that would not show occluded parts of the same mesh. My specific case is a VR hand model.

Any tip would be very appreciated! :)

upload_2021-1-10_14-33-42.png

upload_2021-1-10_14-38-58.png

Attached Files:

34. koirat

koirat

There are such a topics in a forum already, try to draw transparent object with z-buffer write turned on.

35. FloBeber

FloBeber

I already have ZWrite On (if that's what you mean?)

upload_2021-1-10_14-50-45.png

36. FloBeber

FloBeber

Could anyone post an example of a very simple Multi-pass Amplify Template for URP please?
    I constantly get that error when trying:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPass.GetPassDataId (AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateModuleDataType type, System.Int32 subShaderId, System.Int32 passId, System.Boolean addPrefix) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPass.cs:850)

Here my code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader /*ase_name*/ "Test" /*end*/
    2. {
    3.     Properties
    4.     {
    5.         _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    6.         /*ase_props*/
    7.     }
    9.     SubShader
    10.     {        
    11.         Pass
    12.         {
    13.             /*ase_main_pass*/
    14.             ColorMask 0
    16.             /*ase_pragma*/
    17.         }
    20.         Pass
    21.         {
    22.             /*ase_pass*/
    23.             Name "Forward"
    24.             Tags { "LightMode"="UniversalForward" }
    26.             Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    27.             Color [_Color]
    29.             /*ase_pragma*/
    30.         }
    31.     }
    33.     Fallback "Hidden/InternalErrorShader"
    35. }

37. koirat

koirat

Sorry I forget that first you have to make only depth buffer write (fully transparent) and than transparent with z-test less or equal.

38. FloBeber

FloBeber

@koirat thanks, this is what I ended up doing using 2 materials and it works.

First one is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ColorMask A
    2. ZWrite On
    3. Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    Second one:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ColorMask RGB
    2. Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    But this is kinda dirty.. Any idea on how to create multi-pass URP Template by chance?

39. AntonPetrov

AntonPetrov

There is a Bug that TauNode produces invalid code because of string formatting issue.
    You should use Invariant Culture (this is how I fixed the issue):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private readonly string Tau = ( 2.0 * Mathf.PI ).ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);
    For me it produced a value with a comma:

P.S. The fact that you provide a source code is a big plus for me! Thank you so much!

40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

This is common with transparent surfaces, not ASE specific; Koirat recomendation is the way to go.

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPass.GetPassDataId (AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateModuleDataType type, System.Int32 subShaderId, System.Int32 passId, System.Boolean addPrefix) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPass.cs:850)"

Where are you getting this, with a Custom Template?

Multi-pass details are available on our wiki - Template Information

Thanks for the heads-up!

How are you triggering this on the editor side?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  41. AntonPetrov

AntonPetrov

Ah, I see, you set InvariantCulture globaly for threads... so it is not a 100% reproducible thing. Okay, I will let you know when I figure this out.

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yes, we already force CultureInfo.InvariantCulture globally. It would awesome if you could find an edge case that we could test on our end.

Thanks!

43. SuperUltraHyper

SuperUltraHyper

Quick question: What format should I be using when creating a texture array of normal maps?

Texture Array Creator --> Texture Array --> Format --> ???
    ARGB32? RG Float?? RGB24? RG32?

Thanks!

44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

DXT5 is the default compression on most targets for normal maps.

45. koirat

koirat

How long are we still going to wait for 2020.2 working version ?
    My project is totally repulsive right now with all the graphic bugs and pink materials.
    It is really unpleasant to continue when your work is in such a state.

I'm staring to regret not sticking to unity shader graph (with all it's cons).
    If it's going to be like that every update I seriously have my doubt about the future.

46. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Which 2020.2 version are you on? I'm having no issues working with Unity 2020.2.0f1.
    If you're with an older version, why not download from their site? I just delete the entire ASE directory and import the new package.

Amplify_Ricardo and hopeful like this.
  47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Our apologies, there might have been some sort of misunderstanding on our previous posts, or we were not clear enough. 2020.2 support is already available, be sure to pickup the latest version that's been available for some time now; we recommend using our website for the absolute latest.

Side note, you will need to open and save your ASE shaders to update them. As always, be sure that you're using a release version, not a Beta/Alpha/Experimental.

Please do detail any issues you find using the latest version, we'd be happy to help.

Regarding update times: They don't always take this long, this major SRP version update coincided with a major Unity update.

To be clear: Unity 2020.2 was officially released recently, followed by the usual Holiday downtime, we launched our first compatibility update on 17/12/2020 (original Discord update) and have since been improving and adding to it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  48. koirat

koirat

It worked. Thank you. But why you don't put it on asset store ?

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great!

We do, there's an updated version there just not the absolute latest, it's just that updating the Asset Store version can take some time. What we usually do is release an update on our site every week, or multiple times during the week, and group those additions into a stable Asset Store version.

In other words, the site version is what we'd call a dev version, it's a great way to get quick fixes and additions out there.

For you, as a user, this means that you don't have to wait for official updates via the Asset Store. On the other hand, Asset Store updates may be more spaced but they are also the most stable as we might always introduce issues/revert things on a dev build; this is rare, but there's a chance it could happen.

hopeful likes this.
  50. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Quick question: why is the remap node a built in type vs. the inverse lerp node which is a function?

upload_2021-1-16_16-1-39.png

I know that inverse lerp and lerp can be used together to create a remap, I'm just not sure why lerp and remap are built into ASE. With the generated code would the inverse lerp be faster?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021