Search Unity

Best Networking library against cheating/hacking and your experiences

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Alexhalo3115, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Alexhalo3115

Alexhalo3115

Hello, I am looking for, like I am sure everyone else, the safest network library to implement, I am trying to do a card game on WebGL and I read that, I think it was the new Unet, which doesn't work on WebGL.
    I then moved on to PUN 2 but apparently, it's quite easy to cheat in that.
    I have now moved to MLAPI but I am not finding many people talking about it.

So this really is more of two questions:

1) Does the library really matter or is the way that is implemented much more significant against hacking/cheating

2) I would like to ask for your experiences, bearing in mind the library will be implemented in a game running on WebGL so some libraries won't run

2. Alexhalo3115

Alexhalo3115

As an update, something like fishnet how do people feel about that one?

3. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hello,

To share some recent updates. MLAPI is now called Netcode for GameObjects, this is why you might feel like no one is talking about it.

We also have a dedicated Discord server, which you are welcome to join and explore as you are looking to choose your library to work with.

There is WebSocket support for the WebGL platform within the community contributions repository. This allows deploying to the web with the WebSocket transport.

Alexhalo3115 likes this.
  4. Punfish

Punfish

FishNet is the only free library with client-side prediction(CSP).

CSP is a must for preventing movement cheats, and can be utilized for other cheat prevention as well. You may hear 'Xyz can do server authoritative movement too' but they are not the same thing. See this for a quick explanation on how they differ
    https://fish-networking.gitbook.io/...ide-prediction/what-is-client-side-prediction

There's also the huge amount of additional features and performance gains in FishNet which you're probably already aware of.

To further answer your question, yes the library absolutely matters. Netcode, Mirror, FishNet are all server authoritative design which is important for anti-cheat, while PUN is client authoritative making it easy to cheat.

FishNet will work for WebGL.

CreativeChris and Alexhalo3115 like this.
  5. Alexhalo3115

Alexhalo3115

Gonna have a look now thanks

CreativeChris likes this.
  6. Alexhalo3115

Alexhalo3115

yh i still need to do a bit of research but i might go for fishnet and i also just realized i might have been watching one of your tutorials so nice to see you active here.

CreativeChris and Punfish like this.