Search Unity

Best Netcode Solution For A Game Similar to Rust

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GrifDaGreat, Apr 24, 2020.

1. GrifDaGreat

GrifDaGreat

Hello,
    I will try to make this as structured and simple as possible. I appreciate any/ all advice very much.
    Game Design
    My team and I am beginning the development of a large map shooter/ melee combat game. The map would be roughly 8x8km with 40-50 players.
    There would be minimal AI (Just Animals) and a base-fortifying feature (Very Structured Model Changes to Existing Structures).
    Players will have an inventory system and their items will be left on their body upon death.
    Viewing Angle would be 1st/3rd person (Think DayZ/Arma)

Requirments
    Client/ Server architecture just like Rust, Ability for anyone to Run a Server on a Dedicated box or VPS. And users to access a list of available servers.
    Ability to Store player and World information in a database.
    Smooth server fps (Preferably Over 60, I know this will come down to how well we optimize our code)

My Question to you
    What would be the best way of making something like this possible? I've looked into Mirror, RakNet, DarkRift and Socket.io
    In addition, I want to avoid any solutions that do not fulfill my requirements above.

I'm sorry if this is a very common question. I've read posts like this before but the "best" solutions are always different, and with time comes new solutions.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. g_a_p

g_a_p

3. GrifDaGreat

GrifDaGreat

I did see that post, from what I saw there wasn't a very clear option for what I'd like to do.

I looked at SmartFoxServer as well but I'd like server hosting to be available for anyone. If our team were the only ones hosting servers, it would be a great solution. I might not be understanding the platform entirely, but from what I could see the servers would have to only be hosted on there.

4. g_a_p

g_a_p

As it regards SmartFoxServer, we have a dedicated license allowing to distribute the software with your game, so that anyone can host it (up to 100 CCU per server).You will need to figure out how to make the server appear in a global list of available servers, but this shouldn't be an issue.