Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bathroom

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MikeJ3D, Jan 8, 2008.

1. MikeJ3D

MikeJ3D

I am building a new bathroom in my house and I thought: "How about a little pre-viz using Unity"!
    So here it is, I thought I'd share it:

http://www.grayboxgames.com/new/av.html

File size: 9.5MB

Use W,A,S,D or arrow keys to move and the mouse to look around. I added the ability to move up and down with Q and E. It's the same player controls used in SPiRE.

2. nickavv

nickavv

Cool. :) Nice modeling. But there are no colliders, so I can walk out of the scene, or into the mirror world. :p

3. defmech

defmech

Very well done. Would you mind giving a little breakdown of how the scene was created? Is everything self-illuminated with baked lighting or are there any additional real-time lights? Did you just bake AO or is there other lighting as well?

I'm about to start working on something very similar, so anything you learned along the way would be very helpful.

4. MikeJ3D

MikeJ3D

Thanks for the comments. And no I don't mind, I will reveal my secrets :wink:. Yes, everything is lightmapped. I tried adding some lights to the scene at one point, but since I don't have any moving objects or specular maps I didn't need them. But I would recommend them for an actual game environment.
    As for why there are no colliders. Well, isn't it more fun to fly through things? Actually, I felt it was more interesting this way. Now people can see how everything was made. You can see how a reflection can be done without the need for "write to texture". Also, you can see where I have bad lightmaps. Usually behind objects where normally no one can see.

5. jeremyace

jeremyace

I was afraid to click on this thread at first, but awesome work!

-Jeremy

6. shaun

shaun

Your lightmapping is really nicely done - congrats :)
    The towel is cool, I spent 5 minutes just looking at it from a few different angles.
    Are you using/planning to use any normal or bump mapping?
    I noticed the shadows on the underside of the sinks were quite blocky - was it intentional?

7. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Man, take a really high res screenshot of that and size it down. That visualization without the jaggies would be pure hotness. Put it on the internet with a graybox games logo, and you have instant portfolio.

8. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

are you constructing a public bathroom in your house ? why are there two washbasins ?

pretty well done :D

.org

9. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Omar, you must not have a wife! :D

10. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Nicely done.

I must say that the shower glass confuses me. Dunno what technique you use there but the reflection seems odd to me.

Also, what is eating up so much space here in this webplayer? 8Mb is a lot for such a scene. Is there an extreme amount of geometry or did you not compress textures ?
    Just interested to know. The look it gorgeous, even the baked in reflection on the chrome stuff beneath the window.

11. Danni

Danni

Beautiful and impressive work!

12. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

The size could be due to the music :)

Nice work, I enjoyed floating around quite a bit.

I also gather that the block shadows under the sink are parts of the "bad lightmapping" he was talking about.

13. relish3d

relish3d

that looks great and I loved been able to walk through the mirror into the reflection. Wondered what was happening to begin with.
    great stuff!

14. Zante

Zante

Please let me live in your bathroom.

15. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'm living in the mirror world!

What I'm missing: Somewhere to place reading material by the toilet :wink:

16. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Hey Mike ,
    great work, loved the steel material,
    JUst a question though , what would have been the expense on performance if you actually used a reflection shader for the mirrors?

can wait to see the rest of the room:)

cheers
    Steve

17. holmeren

holmeren

Hi great work!

one thing though.. the lightmaps how did you bake them (application)?

Try make them brighter..

Cheers

18. dock

dock

Well, both good news and bad news is that this loaded on my crappy laptop. My laptop is XP, Pentium M 1.6GHZ, 512mb RAM, and Intel Extreme Graphics. The bad news is that some of the objects were completely white, so I assume there wasn't enough allocated graphics RAM. I'm always impressed that anything works on this laptop at all. :)