Search Unity

batchmode multiple server instances

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Djik, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Djik

Djik

Hello,

I'm trying to run serverals server instances in batchmode on windows.

It appears that when I execute more than 1 server instance, all other instances doesn't seem to execute their flow.

If I run them in "normal mode" with rendering/input, everything goes fine but once i run them in batchmode, only one instance is processing.

Any idea?

2. appels

appels

are they all running on different ports ?

3. Djik

Djik

Yes they Do.

In fact, if I launch 2 instances of the server (with different ports) in batchmode, In the windows task manager, only the first instance is using CPU (about 50% due to dual core), the other one takes 0%.

When I launch theses 2 instances without batchmode (so with rendering process), in the task manager, one instance is using CPU at about 30% and the other at 20%.

The result in batchmode is that the client cannot switch from 1 instance to another because the second instance cannot process client connection.

4. appels

appels

did you enable 'Run in background' under Edit/Project Settings/Player ?

5. Djik

Djik

Yes I did, that's why everything goes fine in "normal" mode, but why doesn't it work in batchmode ? -_-

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

it does work in batchmode, we have multiple ones running in parallel, during testing it were over a dozen.

likely you don't have code that handles the situation without a user giving input correctly or an endless loop which eats 100% cpu time

7. Djik

Djik

Thanks to you! I could solve the problem.
    It was the Camera Gameobject that was enabled in server build and then was eating all the CPU. When I disabled it, everything worked.

I'm still curious why the camera component give this behaviour in batchmode. Thought it was skipped.

8. appels

appels

are you on v2.6.1 or one of the betas ?

9. Djik

Djik

We're using v2.6.1