Search Unity

AWS are blocking port 80 on my EC2 instance

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ultraviol3nt, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

Trying to use EC2 to run a Windows Server 2008 instance. On this instance, I have an NGINX stack that serves at the backend for a login system. Game makes a wwwform request for a PHP page, which queries the user database, and Unity parses the result.

I know I should use a Linux distro instead of Windows for something like this, but I don't get along with Linux at all.

The problem I'm running into is that AWS are blocking port 80 to that instance. I've created a security group to push HTTP traffic to that instance and even disabled Windows firewall, but I cannot get port 80 to be visible from the outside. What's more, sometimes the connection times out, sometimes the connection is outright refused, and I have no idea what it's doing that.

port 20: closed (also supposed to be open)
    port 21: open
    port 80: closed

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

I'm not familiar with AWS, but on Azure they have in the management portal something called 'Endpoints' which let you configure the port and protocol to be opened on that server. This needs to be configured on top of the additional firewall settings on the actual server.

Perhaps AWS has something similar in their management portal that you need to configure?

3. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

Yeah, Amazon call the same thing Security Groups.