Search Unity

Official Asset Store site upgrade

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JanisAssetStore, Apr 29, 2019.

1. JanisAssetStore

JanisAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

We have been listening to your feedback and today we have released the first part of a major update to the Asset Store, which has the purpose of improving your discovery and browsing experience on the store.

The improvements that we have completed so far include:

• Search and Filtering
      • Faster search results - we have introduced instant search/filtering
      • Search suggestions - help you search for the right keyword
      • Recent search - you can now see you 7 most recent searches
      • More filters and filters available on the homepage and category pages - e.g. you can now find free assets with one click or search for specific publishers
      • Typo tolerance, plurals recognition and synonyms
      • Algorithm improvements for more relevant search results
    • Responsiveness
      • Improved experience on different screen sizes - especially mobile
      • Filters available on all screen sizes - previously they were hidden on mobile and in the Unity editor
    • New Homepage and Category pages
      • More curated content on the homepage
      • We have removed the giant banner on the homepage to show you more content above the fold
    • Other minor changes
      • My Asset Page - Improved search, minor UI changes
      • Navigation - cleaner navigation e.g. with easier access to popular categories/services
      • Limited site width for a better overview

What’s next?
    We will continue to work on improving the Asset Store, as we plan to retire the old store in the coming months once we have solved all major pain points on the current site.

Here are some of the things that we are working on and are planning to release in the coming months:
    • Product detail pages - including an improved gallery view to make it easier for you to browse through images
    • List view on listing pages - to enable you to see more assets at a time
    • Quick look - better way to preview assets from search results pages
    • Publisher page
    • My Assets Page - e.g. improvements to manage large amount of assets
    • Search - we’ll continue to work on improving the search algorithm

Have Feedback?
    We would love to hear your feedback on the new and existing features.

You can add your feedback in this thread or use the feedback button on the site, which lets you select specific areas on a page that you want to give feedback on.

For those of you who are avid old store users, please do try out the changes we have made and give us feedback on what you are missing. We are listening and will address the main use cases in our updates over the coming months.

Trying to find the old Asset Store?
    The old Asset Store is still available and you can find the link in the footer at the bottom of each page.

We are looking forward to hear your feedback!

Thanks,

The Asset Store Product Team

*****Update*****
    We have just released the below update to the My Assets page. We will still work on a bigger overhaul of this page, but the update should solve some of the main problems that have been reported.

The update includes:
    • If you have more than 100 assets, you can now load up to 500 more assets and the page does not freeze while you load more assets
    • My purchased and my local downloads is merged to one tab and and the "update all" button is available right upfront
    • Sorting/filtering is now being displayed on all screen sizes
    • My Assets Search: algorithm has been improved
    • Performance improvements

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. roykoma

roykoma

All in all I am happy with the way you are going with the store and especially happy about your list of coming features.
    Great job, you are going in the right direction now I believe! Especially the speed of searching is much better now.

I only have two small things to add that for now bothered me while using it for 5 minutes (still testing, will update in the next few days if I find more):
    • On mobile the categories filter should be either collapsed by default or it should save the state over sessions (using a cookie maybe). On desktop you have the space to have it always shown, but on mobile it is just cluttering the available space and makes it a chore to get to the more important filters. I think most people know what kind of stuff they are looking for and will use some filters like release date and sort by rating or popularity together with a search term, not a categorie. And the ones that are not sure what they are looking for yet will probably start using the recommendations or featured lists on the start page anyway.
    • On quick preview and the asset page you should show the date of the last release/update of an asset. This is always the first thing I want to know when looking for assets other than art to see if the asset is still receiving updates and the author is still active for support.

Greetings,

Roy

3. chingwa

chingwa

The horizontal scrolling navigation on the main page needs to be fixed so the arrows don't disappear when you reach either end of the list. It should be turned into a circular carousel that resets to either end, rather than the user having to choose to go back and forth. The way it is now artificially favors the assets at the ends of the list, simply because the user will absolutely accidentally click them once the arrows disappear.

TeagansDad and roykoma like this.
  4. tcmeric

tcmeric

I want to say something positive. I know you guys have put in lots of hard work, but its so so hard. The "My Asset" page is still the worst. I need to keep clicking "show more" to see my assets. You are punishing people who buy more assets (your best customers). So much wasted space here. It needs an overhaul, not minor changes. Please.

5. DebugLogWarning

DebugLogWarning

I think the filters should scroll with you. Otherwise it leaves some unused white space that looks out of place skewing the content to the left.

white space.PNG

6. JBR-games

JBR-games

Why have mobile if you cant zoom in to look at an image or wording..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    TeagansDad and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  7. PWPeter

PWPeter

I'm not 100% sure if it is connected to the layout changes, but I can't play back asset store videos in the editor anymore, it gives me this error message:

HTML5.JPG

When visiting the asset store page directly in Chrome or Edge playback works as intended.

8. JanisAssetStore

JanisAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Thanks for you feedback!

@roykoma Displaying the release date is something we have heard from quite a few users and will most likely be added, when we release the update to quick look and product pages.

@tcmeric Agree that this page is not good enough and we are working on improving it.

@PWPeter We know that this is annoying. It is not related to the recent update though, but to the in-editor browser. For now, you have to open the page in a browser to view videos. There is a new "View in Browser" link in the header, which at least makes it easier for you to open the page in a browser.

Lars-Steenhoff, tcmeric and PWPeter like this.
  9. Metron

Metron

Ok... just an advice: DON'T REPLACE SOMETHING THAT WORKS WITH SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T!!!

We, as users, have complaint since several month about the new asset store. Wasted space, missing functionality, bugged handling, ...

You better start listening to your customers.

10. chingwa

chingwa

Well to be fair, you can (so far at least) still go to the old asset store, they just moved the link from being obvious at the top of the page all the way down to the very bottom where very few will see it.

11. JBR-games

JBR-games

Ill try to be positive here and say that They seem to be listening atleast better than last time.. And are atleast acknowledging some but not all the issues..

hopeful and KarlGG like this.
  12. petero_unity

petero_unity

Head of Asset Store Unity Technologies

Hi, we totally agree with you. As mentioned with the original post we'll be tackling my assets in subsequent updates over the next couple of months. Key updates mentioned below, but then we also have capacity to work on other feedback.
    • Product detail pages - including an improved gallery view to make it easier for you to browse through images
    • List view on listing pages - to enable you to see more assets at a time
    • Quick look - better way to preview assets from search results pages
    • Publisher page
    • My Assets Page - e.g. improvements to manage large amount of assets
    • Search - we’ll continue to work on improving the search algorithm

transat, hopeful and tcmeric like this.
  13. JBR-games

JBR-games

Im on the asset store usually several times a day on lunch/coffee breaks. Browsing on my phone, please give mobile zooming some thought as the new store is not usable for me. (the old store can)

TeagansDad likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I sent my feedback by clicking on the blue icon down right of the page but the blue icon is still there. How do I get rid of ti?

tcmeric likes this.
  15. snacktime

snacktime

It's better. For those of us who use Unity professionally and 99% of the time just want to get at the information we want and know what we want, the old asset store is still better by far.

My assets, I check that regularly. Still in this version it's unusable inside Unity due to poor performance. Release notes was generally the first thing I looked at, does it have something worth using. So now release notes expands forcing me to scroll down like up to a couple of pages to close it.

The whole taking up real estate for partial data is I think a loser overall. Or at least stop trying to do that for as much information as you are. I'd rather see more results in a search with a good/quick way to drill down, then see a bunch of information that I either don't need, or will have to drill down into anyways because the partial data is not enough.

It feels like your designers really have no clue how a lot of us use the asset store and are just guessing. Like you fixed a lot of the obvious to everyone issues, but missed so many little things that I have to think just talking to professional Unity developers would have surfaced.

16. LaneFox

LaneFox

If anything there has been a huge overabundance of that very feedback. It's just a matter of believing it and getting it implemented. IMO they've moved in the right direction and listened to a lot of the feedback to catch the low hanging fruit so maybe down the line they'll get more below the surface and address the QoL and usability issues. They still have to redesign the product and publisher pages first, so it's probably still going to be a while.

Unity-Frank and JBR-games like this.
  17. KarlGG

KarlGG

Being able to sort downloads by update status, not just "publish date". At least previously, the two didn't seem to match 1:1. Currently, the NEW new "my assets" page spins forever if I try to see "my downloads". When I gave up on it, it took less time to close the asset store window, re-open it and switch to the old store, then go to the downloads page.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with that for another year of "Long Term Support"

Arkade and JBR-games like this.
  18. JBR-games

JBR-games

Yes hopefully they deal with most of the issues before they kill off the original and still currently best version of the asset store.

Arkade likes this.
  19. Metron

Metron

That's the thing... Recently Unity has adopted the bad habit of forcing half-baked features onto their users. Put the "new" store into alpha (it does NOT have all the features WE need) and keep the old one until the "new" store is ready to get out of BETA.

There is too much which doesn't work the the "new" shop... Imagine we publish a game with half the features missing and the other half not completely working as expected and telling our player base: "Wait for it... we'll fix it in the oncoming month..." (followed by a whispered "eventually").

KarlGG and mgear like this.
  20. JanisAssetStore

JanisAssetStore

Unity Technologies

JBR-games likes this.
  21. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

The new asset store locks up my unity for unacceptable amounts of time. > 4 minutes. It takes a few minutes to load and then when I switch to filter by status I might as well quit. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain?

Zeitcatcher, dreb4o and Baronmarcus like this.
  22. TonyLi

TonyLi

^ I'm having the same problem with the Asset Store window inside the Unity editor. It essentially hangs Unity. In a browser, it works great. And the UI is very nice!

Zeitcatcher likes this.
  23. MrGky93

MrGky93

its so laggy cant update assets and the editor its so hard laggy.

Zeitcatcher likes this.
  24. immergity

immergity

Why did you combine the 3D models section with Characters and Others? Now it is almost impossible to find ordinary 3D characters. Since you now shows a ton of all sorts of cartoon characters:(

And under "Human" not only are the cartoon characters, but Creatures.

For some reason, this package: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/enemy-soldier-pack-127995
    not in the Human category.

25. MrG

MrG

Old store showing assets updated in April 2019

upload_2019-4-30_11-37-30.png

New store doesn't show April at all

upload_2019-4-30_11-35-45.png

jeremedia and JBR-games like this.
  26. TonyLi

TonyLi

Counts are a little strange, too:

upload_2019-4-30_11-43-15.png

tcmeric likes this.
  27. MrG

MrG

Feature Request:

When looking at a page of assets by a publisher, have some visual indicator of the ones I already own.

28. MrG

MrG

Feature Request:

Check boxes in the editor to select a bunch of assets and a Download All Selected button so I can go to bed while they're downloading for the next few hours.

29. KarlGG

KarlGG

Fix the HTML markdown so <P>aragraphs have white space and the text isn't smooshed together into a wall. People have to go back and edit all of their listings to add whitespace where it used to be and your new pages suddenly don't have it.

TeagansDad likes this.
  30. MrGky93

MrGky93

its impossible to download new assets because unity will freezing :(

truefx001, Zeitcatcher and XCPU like this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Which new assets?

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

One question, why on mobile version images browse normally from left to right and in desktop the images carousel is in left side and browse from top to bottom ?

34. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I just wanted to echo two points already mentioned regarding the asset download page being broken (and needing much functionality and speed improvements) and adding assets to favorites not working.

In addition, the new method of viewing images on an asset page with the thumbnails being to the left of a preview image is not near as nice as the old way. The thumbnails are better placed below the preview image along with left and right arrows for easier navigation through the available images.

Not everything is terrible in the most recent new design (it's a big improvement over the "original" new design) but my above point are definitely sore issues for me. Once these issues are addressed I'll stop my complaining and stop reverting to the old store. :)

35. mgear

mgear

nice to see those speed improvements! (on main page, search)

other feedback so far:
    - search box: location seems a bit weird, old one was good
    - search box: it resizes/animates on click, please remove (can make full size all the time, as its too small by default)

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  36. ashul

ashul

I love the new design! What is the best way to have a product listed as "essential" or even featured. It seems like while the new store is much more organized, there isn't a clear way for lesser popular assets to have the spotlight without the "hand picked by asset store curators." There isn't a clear way to define how this process works, or at least I can't find it.
    Any suggestions, Unity?

37. Hertzole

Hertzole

I like the new design, but I still have stuff I find lacking and annoying, such as:
    • Having to click my icon and then notifications to see if anything has updated. Move it out of the submenu and place it along with favorites, cart, etc.
    • Not actually being able to see any notification number unless I click on the notifications.
    • Middle clicking to open in a new tab inside the notifications menu only opens the same tab with a slightly altered link.
    Overall, I'm happy to see speed improvements in this new store. A good step towards a better store than the previous quite messy store.

KarlGG likes this.
  38. mischa2k

mischa2k

:eek: Love it!
    A lot better than the two previous stores.

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  39. MrGky93

MrGky93

i mean asset that i bought today .

40. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree! Once the asset download page is fixed (and adding to favorites is fixed) I'll stop reverting to the old store.

41. jeremedia

jeremedia

Also missing April in My Assets when sorting by Publish Date.

JBR-games likes this.
  42. JBR-games

JBR-games

Over all the main load in page im ok with now, sorting seems to work and i can view recently updated/ added assets (main complaint about v2).

Per asset (page hasnt changed ?)is still spread out too much with important info hidden like latest release date. Way to much empty space.. Should i really have to scroll that much to look at an asset.

Owned assets doesnt sort properly, hides stuff i own !!.. (I have approx 1000 assets).for instance if i sort by type it only shows the first 200 it loaded even though i want to look at say humans.(might show none..) I got to keep loading and resorting.. Think this is the same issue with people not seeing asset they just bought....Thats a major fail. Havnt had any hanging issues inside unity yet although have only used it a small amount.

Mobile needs zooming ability please !!! Old store has it why not the new one??

43. hopeful

hopeful

The first thing I do when I log into Unity is I check the recent activity on the asset store. I see the new assets and the ones that have been updated or re-priced.

There's no way to do this in the new store. The closest you can get is to filter for 1 day on release date, and that is really far from the mark on what's needed.

I can get the results I want on the old store very easily by clicking "packages" (not lists) and "updated," with a blank search term. Immediately, I get the last 36 updates / adds to the store, and I can go page by page through the whole store catalog, if I want. The whole list appears in chronological order.

That's the main way I stay on top of what's happening in the store. Without it ... I would feel practically blind.

KarlGG and tcmeric like this.
  44. hopeful

hopeful

As far as the in-editor version of the UAS is concerned, when I'm downloading or importing an asset, I often like to know how big it is without clicking to the asset's page.

If asset size can be added to the header along with the current release version and release date, that would be helpful.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    KarlGG, TeagansDad and JBR-games like this.
  45. hopeful

hopeful

As a general comment about asset sample photos, not only do I prefer the horizontal carousel for its ease of preview and click-through, but I want the sample pictures to be bigger, and without all the wasted white space in the new store version. One of the most eye rolling things, often encountered, is when we have a picture for the asset in the header, and then in the samples the first sample we get is that same picture, delivered at the same size / resolution, with no opportunity for zoom. That's useless.

While, sure, the asset makers should not be using the same picture twice, the UAS should be helping out the asset maker and customer by showing us sample pictures that are larger / higher resolution than the one used in the header. A lot of what is being sold in the store is art, and customers would like to see the fine details in the artwork. Yes, some assets don't need really big pictures, but many do.

I often like to have multiple store pages open, with a key picture or Sketchfab selected, comparing art to see which styles, details, and quality will work together, or are best for my needs.

KarlGG, TeagansDad and JBR-games like this.
  46. JBR-games

JBR-games

Doesn't using the sorting option "Recently Updated" work for this in the new store ?

Edit: ok after checking into it further, you can use sorting by updated date with nothing in the search bar... Gives 52,xxx assets (20 per page) in order of last update. Still be nice to have a recently newly added assets filter as well though. And 20 per page is well about 5x to little...

Edit 2: so my phone has a sorting feature which computer browser doesn't have ? Phone layout is actually much better than PC browser layout how is that??

47. JBR-games

JBR-games

Ok i can confirm that asset store inside unity lags to the point that i can not use it at all... Multiple reloads of Unity and completely locks up Unity everytime.. Trash..

Edit: So last time it locked Up Unity Editor i walked away for 10 mins and came back. Appearently it takes 10 minutes to load 400/of 1000 images of my assets,and completely locks up Unity while it does. Completely not acceptable performance..

Asset store 1 is much faster and doesnt lock up the editor.

Zeitcatcher, Baronmarcus and KarlGG like this.
  48. Catacomber

Catacomber

I cannot use the new Asset Store as where normally I'd have words made up of letters, I have squares with x's. Using Windows 10 and Unity 2018.

dreb4o likes this.
  49. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

The URL below will give you the updated/released assets in the past week, ordered by release date: https://assetstore.unity.com/?categ...audio\templates\vfx\tools&release=7&orderBy=3

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  50. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

The new Asset Store is UNUSABLE! Why you replace a proven system?
    The LAGS like hell.
    I never buy 1 Asset again, before i can use it without LAGS!
    Scrolling freeze with Windows 7 and the browser in unity 2018.3.12f1

nasos_333, Pilover, truefx001 and 5 others like this.