Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Store version 1 is closing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopeful

hopeful

I followed a forum link to the v2 store today, and was trying to look at assets on a publisher's page. I couldn't get it to filter by price or sort by price.

To test this again before posting remarks, I went to a fresh v2 store page, selected a publisher at random, and I was able to get the page to sort contents once (by price). But it would not sort (by name or popularity or updated) again after that.

I can't see how anybody who has actually used v2 can think it's ready to go. It is totally not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    S4G4N, TeagansDad, KarlGG and 6 others like this.
  2. KarlGG

KarlGG

Unity Connect was their Google+, trying to force people to use something miserable that just resulted in most people avoiding it entirely (or forgetting it's even there). And now Asset Store V2 is like Google+ ^ 2. They just keep hoping there's a magic way to "attract" users to what they're already set on doing, instead of doing things that people have and continue to ask for.

Of all the issues that V1 had (like doesn't show owned assets until you click them), V2 fixes none of the things people complain about. Instead, it gives so many new complaints that V1 seems like a Holy Grail of things we wanted.

I mean, it breaks the standard HTML <p> tag so every paragraph is jammed together in one huge block of text. Some creators have gone back and added more white space to their descriptions just to fix something that the internet has done for thirty years. How can you even pretend to be thinking of users and usability with that?

a436t4ataf, mgear, Pandur1982 and 5 others like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Antypodish and JBR-games like this.
  4. chingwa

chingwa

@APSchmidt Wow, that's awful. I feel like I'm in the large-print section of the bookstore (do young people know what bookstores are anymore?) The tags are bigger than the page content. :D Web design as an occupation should be age restricted. But who cares as long as it loads on my phone amirite?

KarlGG and JBR-games like this.
  5. joshcamas

joshcamas

Woah that's... horrifying. Does Unity not realize that a lot of Unity developers use computers...? As in 100% of them?

6. JBR-games

JBR-games

That may be even worse than the current store design..

KarlGG likes this.
  7. JBR-games

JBR-games

I've been giving the Asset store way too much money anyway... This will definitely solve that problem.:(:eek:o_O

Unfortunately ill still have to deal with it loading already bought assets.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    KarlGG likes this.
  8. mgear

mgear

uh and its using drupal.. so probably everything is getting moved into that, what a nightmare.

..meta name="Generator" content="Drupal 8 (https://www.drupal.org)"..

can definitely see a market for an alternative asset store, with proper (fast to use) editor plugin, and maybe even slightly lower profit cut..

JBR-games and joshcamas like this.
  9. joshcamas

joshcamas

Ooo now that's a cool idea! A third party asset store! I feel like there could totally be a market for that. Although anything involving money is a very complex thing, (especially with refunding policies and stuff) so it'd be a huge amount of work, probably not realistic :(

JBR-games likes this.
  10. MrG

MrG

Neither version has any of the following:
    • Download All Button
    • Check boxes and Download Selected button
    • Check boxes and Import Selected button (without confirming each one...just do it while I sleep)

11. hopeful

hopeful

Import can be complicated, so I don't know if it can happen for more than one asset at a time. But using check marks for downloading and updating should work, so long as the assets are presented more like lines in a list instead of as small pages.

As for a "download all" or "update all" ... if those exist, I would prefer they be hidden a little deep in the UI, as I wouldn't want to be clicking them by accident. Probably I wouldn't want to click either at all, in my situation, with many GB of assets.

12. joshcamas

joshcamas

That's what a alert dialog is for

JBR-games, StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  13. uberwiggett

uberwiggett

I have lost money on at least four reported occasions because the new asset store has either charged the wrong card by using an automated paypal payment instead of the log in to paypal prompt, despite having that option turned off in both paypal and the UAS v2. Last time I went to use UASv2 it demanded I include an ABN (australian business number) to process tax, except that I am a hobbyist and not a buisness, and I'm not paying the service fee to register as a sole business owner just so I can access the UAS that I have been using the past few years. Absolutely ridiculous, I have yet to have a successful transaction free of problems with v2.

hopeful and JBR-games like this.
  14. sxa

sxa

Well the 3rd-party asset manager 'Grab Yer Assets' can do it(*) so its certainly possible.

(*and can do so on a 'checkbox-per-asset' or 'everything in a user-defined group' basis)

joshcamas, JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  15. IDGG

IDGG

the asset store 1 is faster, the version 2 sometimes takes a while to load the full page. Why they need to close asset store version 1? :(

JBR-games likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Exactly my feeling, this design is just terrible and makes no sense.

And when comes to see the preview images of the asset, that is the important thing, those are tiny and have the arrow in the left small list that noone will use probably, because just makes no sense to browse images this way.

This new store seems like a practical joke more than anything, plus i now read in dread all above comments that is functionally very wrong as well in many ways.

I really really don't understand why Unity try to shoot themselves in the foot with this choices, simply keeping v1 of store would do wonders for every single aspect of the experience.

17. JBR-games

JBR-games

Unity legal team: "Lets modify the TOS so any multiplayer game is not actually legal if it uses a server. "

Asset Store Team : "Hold my Beer...."

:p:D:cool:;)o_O

mtornio, mgear and Metron like this.
  18. MrG

MrG

My God you people are incompetent. Where the heck is April 2019??!!?? Turn the old store back on and abandon this foolishness!

upload_2019-4-29_9-6-56.png

19. roykoma

roykoma

Did you buy/add an asset in april? For me it is working as intended. Also - no need to be rude and call other people incompetent.

There is a link on the bottom of the page that says "Revert to Old Store". Feel free to click it.

TeagansDad likes this.
  20. MrG

MrG

Two editors on two machines, sorted by PUBLISH DATE shows no April 2019 per my image. Thanks for pointing out the revert link that's now hidden at the bottom in the footer instead of the header menu where it was yesterday.

JBR-games likes this.
  21. roykoma

roykoma

Sorted by publish date still shows April 2019 for me, als long as I own assets that fit the filters.

Asking again: Maybe you just don't have any assets that were published in april 2019? Maybe try to add a free one to your assets that was released in the last 29 days?

Edit: Just in case you're wondering: yes, I also checked in the editor (not that it would make a difference, as it only shows the webpage)

22. MrG

MrG

I definitely have assets that have been updated in April...a whole bunch of them. Old store shows them, new store does not.

upload_2019-4-29_9-40-20.png

23. MrG

MrG

Restarted editor, still true.

upload_2019-4-29_9-42-11.png

24. roykoma

roykoma

Only one last thing I could think of still if it isn't simply a bug that only happens for some users:
    Did you try clicking the "Show xxx More Assets" button at the end of the list?
    Currently only 100 of your 290 assets are taken into consideration. Maybe your april ones are just not loaded yet. (yes this sucks on the new store - I hope this gets resolved soon, as stated in https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-store-site-upgrade.669670/#post-4481464 "My Assets Page - e.g. improvements to manage large amount of assets")

25. JBR-games

JBR-games

Looks like they moved some stuff around..and added better search options. Individual asset pages look identical.. Still no mobile zooming..

26. roykoma

roykoma

There is obviously still a lot wrong. But most of the points are on their todo list: https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-store-site-upgrade.669670/#post-4481683

For now I just hope that they will fix it the right way.

27. JBR-games

JBR-games

First checked on my phone earlier, now i just Logged in and clicked search by catagory inside a project. Seems less laggy which is good. So basically all my assets seem to be missing.after looking closer it Looks as though It randomly pulls up 200 assets a handful in each category at a time... Even though i searching by category.

28. MrG

MrG

upload_2019-4-29_10-37-43.png

29. mgear

mgear

old site has been moved into even slower server now..? page loading already for few minutes soon..

on a quick look,

new page
    the good stuff
    - at least its going towards simpler / cleaner design
    - page loads and searches are faster now

the bad stuff
    - search, probably the most used feature, has been moved to weird top right corner position
    - search box size changes when you click on it..why
    - that huge black search drop down is bit too much, at least reduce those line margings to make it smaller
    - actual product page is still years behind v1 usability / nice feel

KarlGG, sjm-tech and chingwa like this.
  30. hopeful

hopeful

IDK if they are collecting feedback on this new store yet or not, but ... it looks you don't browse it at all. Am I missing something?

How do you see what's been added and updated today? (I do that every day.)

Also, I notice it lets you remove favorites right now, but you can't add them. ;)

31. Antypodish

Antypodish

Maybe Unity has from Unreal, or Amazon Lumberyard industrial spy, which tries sabotage all UI designs? :p

JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  32. hopeful

hopeful

That is an explanation that actually makes sense! lol

Antypodish and JBR-games like this.
  33. JBR-games

JBR-games

To my knowledge there is a sort option by date updated on this new store version 3 i guess.

34. JBR-games

JBR-games

hopeful likes this.
  35. Antypodish

Antypodish

There was at least one more topic discussing issues with recent asset store changes and seprate thread (s) for learn section.

So far I don't see UI direction learned from these feedbacks. Or maybe I am just too skeptical.

36. KarlGG

KarlGG

There was one recent thread that they closed and said "participate in this one". There's always someone starting a new thread. The thread above is the official thread with official participants, so that is the one you should be commenting on now.

JBR-games likes this.
  37. JBR-games

JBR-games

@hippocoder this thread had a good reason to be started but with an offical thread now, might be good to close this one.. ?

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

JBR-games likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.