Search Unity

ARFoundation and 2D image target tracking

Discussion in 'AR' started by jariwake, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Christopher-Anderson-GISP

Christopher-Anderson-GISP

i would suggest testing in different conditions first. it could be that the area you are testing in is not tracking well (i.e. low light, not enough for the camera to recognize and track such as glossy surfaces, etc.). Also, have you checked that the image you are using to track with is "good enough". I use the ARCore Unity plugin in a separate app to test the rating of the image; i don't use anything with a percentage less than 80 in my apps.

2. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

don't know if this was already solved somewhere....but in case not, you can fix it here:

upload_2019-10-24_11-42-46.png

It just scales x and z but not y. This works for a plane but not for a cube. Just also scale y and it will go away.

3. adrian-taylor09

adrian-taylor09

I've had similar issues using the latest ARFoundation on an iPad pro and an iPhoneX

4. Saicopate

Saicopate

Just disable Tracked Image Info Manager Script.

5. arjun_chandramohan

arjun_chandramohan

Hi @Skeketor23 and @adrian-taylor09, we had the issue of prefab gets placed some centimeters on top of the image target and got it corrected by using image targets of the size we specified in the physical size of the target. ie; try to make our target image physical size matches the physical size input in inspector for the targets.
    And the drifting issue is may be due to the lack of features in the image we use for target. If you are working on IOS the X-code will show if the image features is low and i think even the unity logo is not having good enough features especially the one with white background and black logo.

Skeketor23 likes this.
  6. Bentoon

Bentoon

Hi All, I have object tracking working fine,

But I'm trying to have multiple images each trigger their own objects and w the AR foundations you can only assign One object to be triggered by the AR Tracked image Manager (and you can only have one instance of this script on each camera)...

Crazy right?

I have done a few Google searches to no avail ... I am obviously missing something ..?

Thanks
    ~be

7. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

8. Bentoon

Bentoon

Thank you @SpiderJones ! I appreciate your work around this !

~be

9. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

Saicopate likes this.
  10. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

Hi everybody, is it possible to use an image with alpha value? So I mean, for example I have an Image that is not a square, but it is shaped like a tree, and the background may vary dependent on where the image is used. Is it possible to track that also?

Update: I figured that I probably need to switch to object tracking. But I don't get that working. Did the example work for anybody here?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  11. SpiderJones

SpiderJones

You could using a rectangle section of the image without transparency. so if the image was a tree with alpha, for tacking use the middle part that doesn't have alpha.

Skeketor23 likes this.
  12. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

That was my first idea, unfortunately it did not work well for some of my shapes, since there are not enough features to be tracked.

13. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

I've seen that Vuforia provides it:
    upload_2020-4-5_23-51-21.png

Has anybody tried that? Does it really work? Unfortunately I cannot just test it without buying a license.

14. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

Hi,
    The problem seem to be your shape, not the alpha canal (because white = alpha = solid color).
    There is to generic or to smooth, so the algorithm can't create enough features points from it. I suggest you to change the trigger or add some "texture" on it.

Best,
    Alexis

15. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

What do you mean by "change the trigger"?

16. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

Change your image target.

17. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

Unfortunately that is not an Option. I will probably work with additional QR or Color-Codes. Thanks for your help.

18. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

I think QR codes is a better option than Color-codes, because the feature points algorithm work in black and white.

19. Fangh

Fangh

This AR Maker Generator generate picture that have 100/100 score on ARCore & 5 stars on vuforia and it's not a QRCode.

20. Alexis-Dev

Alexis-Dev

I didn't say you must use QRCode (I didn't use it on me projects by the way). Me point was: solid colors are useless on trigger. On your generator, you can remplace itch color by white and have the some result.