Search Unity

Are wallhacks possible in unity?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Cayle, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Cayle

Cayle

I’ve had TGE and TGEA as well as AFX for ages and I’m only now getting around to doing any serious work with them because I’ve been working on my game logic middleware. That is slowly coming to closure. I'm considering jumping ship to Unity (in additiong to updating to T3D) and starting with a clean slate on the engine side.

My question is this: do all clients on the server get the same data from the server? I.e. is it theoretically possible to do wallhacks? (I’m not asking about how well the data on the client is secured, but how it is sent from the server)

Here is my use case: A multiplier persistent world RPG (I don’t want to say MMO, because I’m thinking small). I want to be able to send different data to the clients depending on what their character can see/hear/etc. For example, one player might see a little girl. Another might see a demon instead; either by selecting a different submesh, or instantiating an entirely different object. Obviously, I don’t want the decision about what to display to be made at the client as I need to assume that the client is hacked.

Does Unity multicast level info to all clients, or can it selectively update them? I think I read somewhere that it multicasts, but I wanted to be sure.

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

3. Cayle

Cayle

ahhhh.... you can do RPC in Unity?

Cool! VERY COOL!