Search Unity

Are multiplayer services too expensive or would I not need all the data?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Zeradias, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Zeradias

Zeradias

Good evening! I was planning to continue online games with a mmo, but my last one already exceeds the 20 CCU available for personal, looking at Live Mode, I could see that to only increase face 500 CCU the cost would go absurdly high:

"Based on the information you have provided, your project's capacity will increase to 500 CCU, which is estimated to support MAU.

Your estimated monthly cost with% estimated utilization is $ 674.60 / Month

Your maximum monthly cost with 100% usage of allowed CCUs is $ 2698.39 / Month ""

Wanting to make a 2D game, with some commands, chat, etc. Is there a need to use all that data they propose for 500 CCU? How can I estimate how much Bandwidth will be used?

Is there any way to use external host, without relying on the data and CCU of unity and Live Move? Please give me a light! (Will not be a mathgame!)
    Regards,
    Vinicius

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity's multiplayer service in Live Mode doesn't charge based on CCU, but by how much bandwidth is used by your players. How to accurately estimate how much bandwidth your game will actually use will be difficult, as it is entirely dependent on what data you decide to send, how often you decide to send it, how optimized you make your networking code, etc.

If you could figure out exactly what data you intend on sending in your game, how often it is sent, how long your average player will play the game each day, and how many active players you expect to have, you should be able to come up with a good estimate. (estimated amount of data sent per second per player X total seconds average player plays per day X number of active players X 2628000 = estimated monthly data usage for your game)

There are plenty of alternatives to the Unity multiplayer service; Photon cloud for example, which I believe charges based on CCU instead of bandwidth, which should make costs more predictable though not necessarily any lower with the potential of paying for unused CCU. You can also host your own servers that replace the functionality of the Unity services. How to do that can't really fit into a forum post.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. mischa2k

mischa2k

You don't need the multiplayer services for an MMO. They are for dota/counter-strike type of games where you need a matchmaker and where people host it on their own computer. For an MMO you just put your server build onto a VPS or dedicated server, done. No services needed.