Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Are any possibilities / tools for mirror generic (but human - like) animation?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by matreusz4, Sep 17, 2021.

1. matreusz4

matreusz4

Hello. I decided to stay with generic animation in my game with my human model because humanoid rig didnt work properly on it. I know there is easy possibility to mirror animation in unity but only for humanoid animations. Assuming I really want to be able to invert the animation, do I have any options besides rebuilding the rig into a humanoid one and changing all animations that are already in the game? tried a long time to do it in a blender but eventually failed, the paste flip doesn't work properly there (even if the names of the bones are marked left / right, but I'm not sure if the blender understands the name like "mixamorig:LeftUpLeg")

I'd love to stay in generic rig and find some trick to mirror the animation, it doesn't sound that impossible eh

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

3. matreusz4

matreusz4

Thank you, I will look into it.

I also know I can achieve the mirror effect by simply changing the x scale by * -1. Heard it breaks colliders but for some reason it works for me (I only have sphere and capsule colliders). But I also heard about performance, that scaling in order to mirror animation is bad. Is it really? My game won't have heavy graphic effects, but it has some physics calculations, because it is football game.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I've never benchmarked the cost of negative scaling on skinned meshes, but I know it exists and is significant enough that people recommend against it if possible.