Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. gogogo_unity

gogogo_unity

Hello.
    I bought aquas2020.
    I have built advanced underwater into my scene and when I build it, it looks like the picture.
    upload_2021-8-26_18-36-15.png
    With the play button pressed there are no gaps like this and it renders nicely.
    upload_2021-8-26_18-37-8.png
    The simple one does not look like this when built.
    There are two cameras, one of which is used to draw the background. The main camera has a clear flag and the skybox is removed by depth.
    I thought this was caused by setting the clear flag to depth only, so I set the clear flag to skybox, but that didn't solve the problem.
    The camera is also post-processed and anti-aliased with FXAA.
    I have also edited the script in AQUAS_Reflection.cs as follows.
    upload_2021-8-26_18-37-33.png
    Can you give me some advice?
    The version of unity is 2019.4.26f1.
    The project template is 3D.
    The version of aquas 2020 is 1.1.1.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. gogogo_unity

gogogo_unity

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

Is this using multi pass or single pass rendering?

5. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

New update? Its been a long time?

6. m506

m506

Hi dogmachris,

I just wanted to let you know your library is being used in our upcoming game "Ilum".

We just released our gameplay trailer so you can watch if you want.

We are using the library in our rivers and that has worked pretty great so far, with good performance and quality.

Please check the video below and the official Unity thread for more information on the game:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ilum-gameplay-reveal-trailer.1167101/

All the best and thank you!
    Marco Marques

dsilverthorn, dogmachris and hopeful like this.
  7. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Wanted to share this video back from 2017 using Aqua for some great effects mixing with fog and lighting, during the concert sequence. You can see it in the cover picture for the YouTube. :)

dogmachris likes this.
  8. Zimnel

Zimnel

It's possible to upgrade Aquas shaders to URP? I mean manually.

9. bdubbert

bdubbert

I've had AQUAS sitting around in my project folder for about 4 years now and have finally gotten around to making a water scene to put it in. The water looks great, but I seem to be getting some odd graphical glitches, specifically the water seems to (sometimes inconsistently) render over other effects in the scene

1. I'm using Tenkoku weather system, and the Tenkoku Fog does not seem to work in between the camera and the water
    2. I'm using a line renderer that is attached to a helicopter flying over the water. The line renderer works fine, but within about 100 units of the surface of the water the line becomes invisible if there is water behind it. This has been pretty inconsistent for me as well, sometimes the line renderer works fine when I am right above the water, but usually not
    3. I have a couple particle systems attached to some boats for splash/wake effects. They seem to occasionally be invisible based on the distance the camera is to them, but only when they are in front of the water.

I am using the calm ocean water preset and have made a few tweaks to it, but I can't seem to find any settings in the shader or reflection probe to fix any of this. Is this something that you can help me troubleshoot?

10. bdubbert

bdubbert

I was able to get this to happen a few more times for some other objects, for example in these screenshots it appears as if the helicopter is below the water from above but it is actually about 20ft above the water

11. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well possible by all means, but it'd be so tedious, it would be quicker to write them from scratch for URP. Sorry, I'm afraid there's no easy simple way to this. :S

Zimnel likes this.
  12. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

it seems all of your issues are z-fighting issues where the shader can't determine what is in front and what is in the back. Everything you describe (Tenkoku, the line renderer and the particles require everything behind it or everything they render on top of to write to the depth buffer. However transparent or partially transparrent shaders can't do that (and they're not supposed to btw).

AQUAS has no workaround for this, but AQUAS 2020 does. I think you should upgrade to the 2020 version and try that instead (upgrading is free). See this video, it should get all of your issues fixed:

13. davidandrade89

davidandrade89

Did you find a workaround or a fix for this?

14. creat327

creat327

Yeah, don't use Aquas.

davidandrade89 likes this.
  15. dogmachris

dogmachris

@davidandrade89 I'm terribly sorry, I didn't know you are having issues that haven't been solved. If you can't use AQUAS for your purpose, please hit me up, I'll be happy to work something out.

16. Tom163

Tom163

Some of my players are experiencing serious FPS drops with Aquas 2020. What's the best way to cater to different specs and implement support for different quality levels with Aquas? Which parameter do I tweak and how? Should I write a bit of code and change material parameters depending on quality settings? Or better to have multiple waterplane objects and enable/disable them based on the players' quality settings? Which elements have the largest impact and should be considered? So many questions... ;-)

17. MixThaicred

MixThaicred

That thing is annoying the hell out of me. Where is that coming from? I turn off AQUAS and it stop. It looks like a AQUAS rendering issue.

Attached Files:

18. dogmachris

dogmachris

The drop in the frame rate that you see is likely caused by reflections . The performance impact of reflections strongly depends on how many objects have to be reflected. If you have a lot of objects in the scene that don't neccessarily need to be reflected, you might want to put them on a separate layer and exclude that layer from reflections (in the inspector of the waterplane).

If you have a lot of trees and mesh plants on your terrain, you cannot put them on a separate layer. In this case you can duplicate the terrain, delete all plants from the duplicate and put it on a separate layer. You can now exclude that layer from being rendered by your main camera and at the same time set it to be the only layer reflected by the water. This way you can have the terrain reflected without all the plants, which should give you a performance boost.

Also have a look at the inspector. There you can reduce the resolution of the reflection texture. Usually small resolutions will already produce satisfactory results, since the reflections are usually distorted, so that the reduced resolution isn't noticable.

It is recommended to disable caustics on mobile platforms, however if you need caustics, you can also exclude layers on which no caustics will be projected, which should give you an additional performance boost.

Please let me know, if this helped.

Willbkool_FPCS and hopeful like this.
  19. Tom163

Tom163

Yes, that helped. I wrote a small script to drive Aquas parameters based on my quality settings. I simply set up three different water planes with different settings and toggle between them:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using Sirenix.OdinInspector;
    5. using Observables;
    7. public class AquasQuality : MonoBehaviour {
    9.     [SerializeField] GameObject WaterHQ;
    10.     [SerializeField] GameObject WaterMQ;
    11.     [SerializeField] GameObject WaterLQ;
    12.     [SerializeField] AQUAS.AQUAS_DepthSupport DepthSupportScript;
    14.     [Title("Observables")]
    15.     [Required, SerializeField] EventSimple qualityChangeEvent;
    17.     void Start() {
    18.         OnQualityChange();
    19.     }
    21.     void OnEnable() { qualityChangeEvent.AddListener(OnQualityChange); }
    22.     void OnDisable() { qualityChangeEvent.RemoveListener(OnQualityChange); }
    25.     void OnQualityChange() {
    26.         // FIXME: this will break if ever I change the quality levels!
    27.         switch (QualitySettings.GetQualityLevel()) {
    28.             case 0:
    29.             case 1:     DepthSupportScript.waterPlane = WaterLQ; WaterHQ.SetActive(false); WaterMQ.SetActive(false); WaterLQ.SetActive(true); break;
    30.             case 2:     DepthSupportScript.waterPlane = WaterMQ; WaterHQ.SetActive(false); WaterMQ.SetActive(true); WaterLQ.SetActive(false); break;
    31.             case 3:     DepthSupportScript.waterPlane = WaterHQ; WaterHQ.SetActive(true); WaterMQ.SetActive(false); WaterLQ.SetActive(false); break;
    32.         }
    33.     }
    35. }

dogmachris likes this.
  20. SawyerK

SawyerK

Hi! I'm using AQUAS in my game, pretty awesome, but I have these weird black line on the edge of the terrain from far away distances in Editor and in Game as well and it looks terrible. Tried to change every value of the water but nothing is affecting it. Does anyone have some idea what could cause this? Unity version is 2019.1.5
    Thank you in advance!

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hm... I would usually go about disabling pretty much everything except for the terrain and the water. If the issue persists, it might be the water rendering itself, but if it renders correctly, an object might be causing AQUAS to fail rendering.

Try disabling all post processing effects and other image effects, that you might be running and see if that does anything.

22. SawyerK

SawyerK

Thank you for the reply!
    I tried disabling everything, shaders, objects, enviro sky, i use microSplat shader on terrain I thought that could cause this, disabled it but nothing. Custom fog on water doesn't affect it either. Here's everything disabled microSplat terrain shader as well, even the light and it's till there. I made the terrain with Gaia could that cause this? And the map is pretty big as well 16x16km.

23. creat327

creat327

that looks like a depth buffer issue because you get no fog and problem on the shoreline. Maybe sure your camera has it enabled

24. dogmachris

dogmachris

16x16km is large, but it shouldn't be the root of the issue. AQUAS should be fine up to sizes of 200x200km or so. And then the issues would probably be different (related to floating point inaccuracies).

Gaia shouldn't be the issue either.

Please try the following:

• Duplilcate the terrain.
    • Hide the original terrain
    • Use the standard terrain shader on the duplicated terrain
    See if changing the shader on the terrain makes an difference. @creat327 AQUAS (original) doesn't support depth buffer based effects, but I don't see how it can be the reason for black shorelines.

unityunity