Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. gogogo_unity

gogogo_unity

Hello.
    I bought aquas2020.
    I have built advanced underwater into my scene and when I build it, it looks like the picture.
    upload_2021-8-26_18-36-15.png
    With the play button pressed there are no gaps like this and it renders nicely.
    upload_2021-8-26_18-37-8.png
    The simple one does not look like this when built.
    There are two cameras, one of which is used to draw the background. The main camera has a clear flag and the skybox is removed by depth.
    I thought this was caused by setting the clear flag to depth only, so I set the clear flag to skybox, but that didn't solve the problem.
    The camera is also post-processed and anti-aliased with FXAA.
    I have also edited the script in AQUAS_Reflection.cs as follows.
    upload_2021-8-26_18-37-33.png
    Can you give me some advice?
    The version of unity is 2019.4.26f1.
    The project template is 3D.
    The version of aquas 2020 is 1.1.1.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. gogogo_unity

gogogo_unity

3. dogmachris

dogmachris

4. dogmachris

dogmachris

Is this using multi pass or single pass rendering?

5. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

New update? Its been a long time?

6. m506

m506

Hi dogmachris,

I just wanted to let you know your library is being used in our upcoming game "Ilum".

We just released our gameplay trailer so you can watch if you want.

We are using the library in our rivers and that has worked pretty great so far, with good performance and quality.

Please check the video below and the official Unity thread for more information on the game:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ilum-gameplay-reveal-trailer.1167101/

All the best and thank you!
    Marco Marques

dsilverthorn, dogmachris and hopeful like this.
  7. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Wanted to share this video back from 2017 using Aqua for some great effects mixing with fog and lighting, during the concert sequence. You can see it in the cover picture for the YouTube. :)

dogmachris likes this.
  8. Zimnel

Zimnel

It's possible to upgrade Aquas shaders to URP? I mean manually.

9. bdubbert

bdubbert

I've had AQUAS sitting around in my project folder for about 4 years now and have finally gotten around to making a water scene to put it in. The water looks great, but I seem to be getting some odd graphical glitches, specifically the water seems to (sometimes inconsistently) render over other effects in the scene

1. I'm using Tenkoku weather system, and the Tenkoku Fog does not seem to work in between the camera and the water
    2. I'm using a line renderer that is attached to a helicopter flying over the water. The line renderer works fine, but within about 100 units of the surface of the water the line becomes invisible if there is water behind it. This has been pretty inconsistent for me as well, sometimes the line renderer works fine when I am right above the water, but usually not
    3. I have a couple particle systems attached to some boats for splash/wake effects. They seem to occasionally be invisible based on the distance the camera is to them, but only when they are in front of the water.

I am using the calm ocean water preset and have made a few tweaks to it, but I can't seem to find any settings in the shader or reflection probe to fix any of this. Is this something that you can help me troubleshoot?

10. bdubbert

bdubbert

I was able to get this to happen a few more times for some other objects, for example in these screenshots it appears as if the helicopter is below the water from above but it is actually about 20ft above the water

11. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well possible by all means, but it'd be so tedious, it would be quicker to write them from scratch for URP. Sorry, I'm afraid there's no easy simple way to this. :S

Zimnel likes this.
  12. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hey there,

it seems all of your issues are z-fighting issues where the shader can't determine what is in front and what is in the back. Everything you describe (Tenkoku, the line renderer and the particles require everything behind it or everything they render on top of to write to the depth buffer. However transparent or partially transparrent shaders can't do that (and they're not supposed to btw).

AQUAS has no workaround for this, but AQUAS 2020 does. I think you should upgrade to the 2020 version and try that instead (upgrading is free). See this video, it should get all of your issues fixed:

13. davidandrade89

davidandrade89

Did you find a workaround or a fix for this?

14. creat327

creat327

Yeah, don't use Aquas.

davidandrade89 likes this.
  15. dogmachris

dogmachris

@davidandrade89 I'm terribly sorry, I didn't know you are having issues that haven't been solved. If you can't use AQUAS for your purpose, please hit me up, I'll be happy to work something out.

16. Tom163

Tom163

Some of my players are experiencing serious FPS drops with Aquas 2020. What's the best way to cater to different specs and implement support for different quality levels with Aquas? Which parameter do I tweak and how? Should I write a bit of code and change material parameters depending on quality settings? Or better to have multiple waterplane objects and enable/disable them based on the players' quality settings? Which elements have the largest impact and should be considered? So many questions... ;-)

17. MixThaicred

MixThaicred

That thing is annoying the hell out of me. Where is that coming from? I turn off AQUAS and it stop. It looks like a AQUAS rendering issue.

Attached Files:

18. dogmachris

dogmachris

The drop in the frame rate that you see is likely caused by reflections . The performance impact of reflections strongly depends on how many objects have to be reflected. If you have a lot of objects in the scene that don't neccessarily need to be reflected, you might want to put them on a separate layer and exclude that layer from reflections (in the inspector of the waterplane).

If you have a lot of trees and mesh plants on your terrain, you cannot put them on a separate layer. In this case you can duplicate the terrain, delete all plants from the duplicate and put it on a separate layer. You can now exclude that layer from being rendered by your main camera and at the same time set it to be the only layer reflected by the water. This way you can have the terrain reflected without all the plants, which should give you a performance boost.

Also have a look at the inspector. There you can reduce the resolution of the reflection texture. Usually small resolutions will already produce satisfactory results, since the reflections are usually distorted, so that the reduced resolution isn't noticable.

It is recommended to disable caustics on mobile platforms, however if you need caustics, you can also exclude layers on which no caustics will be projected, which should give you an additional performance boost.

Please let me know, if this helped.

Willbkool_FPCS and hopeful like this.
  19. Tom163

Tom163

Yes, that helped. I wrote a small script to drive Aquas parameters based on my quality settings. I simply set up three different water planes with different settings and toggle between them:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using Sirenix.OdinInspector;
    5. using Observables;
    7. public class AquasQuality : MonoBehaviour {
    9.     [SerializeField] GameObject WaterHQ;
    10.     [SerializeField] GameObject WaterMQ;
    11.     [SerializeField] GameObject WaterLQ;
    12.     [SerializeField] AQUAS.AQUAS_DepthSupport DepthSupportScript;
    14.     [Title("Observables")]
    15.     [Required, SerializeField] EventSimple qualityChangeEvent;
    17.     void Start() {
    18.         OnQualityChange();
    19.     }
    21.     void OnEnable() { qualityChangeEvent.AddListener(OnQualityChange); }
    22.     void OnDisable() { qualityChangeEvent.RemoveListener(OnQualityChange); }
    25.     void OnQualityChange() {
    26.         // FIXME: this will break if ever I change the quality levels!
    27.         switch (QualitySettings.GetQualityLevel()) {
    28.             case 0:
    29.             case 1:     DepthSupportScript.waterPlane = WaterLQ; WaterHQ.SetActive(false); WaterMQ.SetActive(false); WaterLQ.SetActive(true); break;
    30.             case 2:     DepthSupportScript.waterPlane = WaterMQ; WaterHQ.SetActive(false); WaterMQ.SetActive(true); WaterLQ.SetActive(false); break;
    31.             case 3:     DepthSupportScript.waterPlane = WaterHQ; WaterHQ.SetActive(true); WaterMQ.SetActive(false); WaterLQ.SetActive(false); break;
    32.         }
    33.     }
    35. }

Mark_01 and dogmachris like this.
  20. SawyerK

SawyerK

Hi! I'm using AQUAS in my game, pretty awesome, but I have these weird black line on the edge of the terrain from far away distances in Editor and in Game as well and it looks terrible. Tried to change every value of the water but nothing is affecting it. Does anyone have some idea what could cause this? Unity version is 2019.1.5
    Thank you in advance!

21. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hm... I would usually go about disabling pretty much everything except for the terrain and the water. If the issue persists, it might be the water rendering itself, but if it renders correctly, an object might be causing AQUAS to fail rendering.

Try disabling all post processing effects and other image effects, that you might be running and see if that does anything.

22. SawyerK

SawyerK

Thank you for the reply!
    I tried disabling everything, shaders, objects, enviro sky, i use microSplat shader on terrain I thought that could cause this, disabled it but nothing. Custom fog on water doesn't affect it either. Here's everything disabled microSplat terrain shader as well, even the light and it's till there. I made the terrain with Gaia could that cause this? And the map is pretty big as well 16x16km.

23. creat327

creat327

that looks like a depth buffer issue because you get no fog and problem on the shoreline. Maybe sure your camera has it enabled

24. dogmachris

dogmachris

16x16km is large, but it shouldn't be the root of the issue. AQUAS should be fine up to sizes of 200x200km or so. And then the issues would probably be different (related to floating point inaccuracies).

Gaia shouldn't be the issue either.

Please try the following:

• Duplilcate the terrain.
    • Hide the original terrain
    • Use the standard terrain shader on the duplicated terrain
    See if changing the shader on the terrain makes an difference. @creat327 AQUAS (original) doesn't support depth buffer based effects, but I don't see how it can be the reason for black shorelines.

25. dogmachris

dogmachris

26. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

27. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well, I'm in touch with @AdamGoodrich, to make sure, AQUAS is integrated properly with all versions of Gaia. Other than that, I have just resumed working on AQUAS Ultra. But this time, I will not make any public schedule like with AQUAS 2020. I caused myself too much stress with that and always felt like I should have done more, before publishing - won't make that mistake this time, so I'll go with 'It's done, when it's done' ;)

28. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Sounds good! Can't wait to see your new stuff

29. STFAR

STFAR

I can't correctly display translucent special effects and objects on the water surface generated by aquas. How to solve this problem

30. STFAR

STFAR

in the AQUAS 2020

31. STFAR

STFAR

I want to create some translucent bubbles on the water surface to indicate that there are special events in this place, but he can't show these bubbles

32. blackant

blackant

check your shaders opacity Queue

33. STFAR

STFAR

How to do it? I'm a novice.Check whether the water surface generated by aquas is a shader of translucent objects?

34. STFAR

STFAR

How to do it? I'm a novice.Check whether the water surface generated by aquas is a shader of translucent objects?

35. STFAR

STFAR

It has been solved. Thank you for your help!

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there, could you let us know, what you did to get it working?

37. ilender

ilender

Hello there,
    I'm contacting you because I'm using AQUAS as a helpful tool for my game and I have a question. I'm working on new builds to port the game to Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch. For the PC version and original build, I use AQUAS legacy.
    Now, I also bought AQUAS 2020, but I would like to know: Do you suggest me to stick with the legacy version and port the game with that, or you consider more convenient switch to the 2020 version to do the porting on console?
    Thank you for your help and for making AQUAS.
    Regards, Lorenzo

38. dogmachris

dogmachris

If you are working on more recent graphics APIs it's best to go with AQUAS or AQUAS 2020 as it used to be called. AQUAS Legacy is best when targeting older graphics APIs as well and for people who still work with older versions of Unity - and they do exist.

39. Banksy

Banksy

Just purchased Aquas 2020
    Shader ERROR setting up a basic V.R scene.

" Shader error in 'Hidden/AQUAS/Utils/Volume Mask': 'tex2Dproj': no matching 2 parameter intrinsic function; Possible intrinsic functions are: tex2Dproj(sampler2D, float4|half4|min10float4|min16float4) at line 91 (on gles3) "

NOTE: Is there a V.R example scene for Aquas or at least a tutorial in terms of setting up Aquas for the Unity XR VR scene located in Unity Hub ( the template VR scene )

I also placed the Aquas Camera Script + the Aquas underwater effect (simple ) on my XR VR camera.

Main issue seems to be the Volume Mask... hhmm ???

note: the asset is advertised as running in V.R but with limitations... so is there a V.R test scene available or can someone who has it running in VR please share a basic V.R project. ??

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  40. Trixxy

Trixxy

So is there any sign of URP support ever happening for Aquas? bit of a shame really as it looks really nice in srp, URP however is the way forward with all it's rendering features. Just refunding ppl at this stage I think is a little unfair after all the time and effort that has been put into respective projects, you have stated clearly that support is coming but I feel like you have abandoned this for other tools. Doesn't give me hope i'm sorry to say.

gghitman69 likes this.
  41. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there,

The volume mask is usually only used to prevent water from rendering inside floating objects, such as boats. If you are trying to set up AQUAS in the lake demo (or generally in a scene that uses AQUAS's Depth mask), that has the boat floating around, try disabling it and see if it works.

I'm afraid there is no demo scene for VR, because VR setups vary for different devices and often times require the presence of a package specifically for the setup of that device. A demo scene would require a setup for all common devices and I would have to ship AQUAS with additional packages which would bloat the asset and would probably not be allowed.

42. dogmachris

dogmachris

I hear you, but I feel compelled to reply to this one, I'm sorry.

I do respect your standpoint. I do understand that waiting for updates that seem to drag out forever or never really come, can be frustrating to the point where people would insist on an update over a refund. However I think you would also have to consider that it took years to make AQUAS what it is and no update was ever subject to charges.

In simple terms, people who bought AQUAS in 2016 got all updates (including an Upgrade to the 2020 version) entirely free of charge. It's been this way for 7 years now. So I would argue, that a refund to unsatisfied customers under circumstances such as these is in fact not unfair by any means. I'm not trying to present myself as a big samaritan, but I'm under no obligation to make such an offer - I just simply try to think like a customer (which of course I am myself).

Keeping in mind that all updates to AQUAS beginning in 2016 were free of charge, I have to be rather careful when investing time into major updates. This is not because I don't want to do them, but I also have to turn my attention to other projects as well - projects that may fail and force me to concentrate efforts on things not related to AQUAS (I'm not ashamed to admit that Derive - although a powerful tool - was a total failure and cost me 9 months to finish) - projects that may not even be related to Unity, but put food on the table and which - I hope for your understanding - I cannot all share with everyone on this forum.

To be precise: I have not scrapped AQUAS or water in general - it has rather become something I'm just fairly good at. But to be honest, I cannot tell you when I'm going to continue working on AQUAS SRP and - if market analysis says so - I cannot promise that it will be free of charge. You may ask, why I didn't say so sooner, the answer to that would simply be, that I didn't know and didn't expect it.

I sincerely hope, you don't take this as a sweeping blow on my end, instead I hope I was able to explain the situation somewhat comprehensibly.

43. Banksy

Banksy

Regarding setting up a V.R Demo scene. You mention that it would be too difficult due to all the different common VR devices... but this is why we now use the " XR Plugin Manager " ( in package manager ) so all devices run on the same XR system. Oculus uses the " Oculus XR manager " You only need a single XR scene

44. Trixxy

Trixxy

Hi,

I completely understand, as a developer I find things change so fast and on one hand staying in tune with progress in terms ov available software does also mean you are likely to hit issues relating to compatibility along the way, I appreciate you took the time to respond openly and honest and that alone speaks volumes, I do have to state though that Aquas was great to use and looked really good on built-in but as a move to URP was required for many other aspects of the project I decision was made to at least find a viable hopefully only temporary replacement, I do hope that at some point you decide to bring out a newer version or simply release an update to shaders to support URP.

I wish you the very best for the future and will keep my ears and eyes open for possible progression on that front :D.

Many thanks again for your response.

dogmachris likes this.
  45. D-shadow

D-shadow

anyone can help me pls? i get an error on my scene:
    "Assets\AQUAS\Scripts\AQUAS_CameraSwitcher.cs(28,125): error CS0103: The name 'AssetDatabase' does not exist in the current context"

anyone know how to fix that? what i need to do?

46. Ebonicus

Ebonicus

Having issue with water in Oculus VR.
    Using unity 2020
    oculus utils 50.0
    built in render pipe
    single pass rendering
    forward rendering
    using single center eye camera.

1. water changes depth as player altitude changes, vid here.

https://youtube.com/shorts/L7h5_JleNVQ?feature=share

2. When reflections are enabled different reflections are passed to each eye had to disable reflections.

This was a unity 2019 and old aquas project.
    Are these fixed in latest version of aquas?

47. dogmachris

dogmachris

The issue with realtime reflections being wrong, when single pass streo rendering is enabled, is not so much because of AQUAS, but because of Unity's Camera.Render() method not considering single pass stereo capturing. AQUAS's realtime reflections work all the same in all versions. Plase try upgrading to the latest Unity version first and see if that helps.

48. SawyerK

SawyerK

I have figured out what is causing the weird black water edge.
    It's the far clipping plane in the camera.
    By changing the far clipping plane up and down it starts creating this visual bug randomly, sometimes it happens at 6000, sometimes it disappears when changed again, sometimes it gets back when changed again. Very weird. It starts bugging at totally random numbers, at 3000 at 10.000.
    Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  49. SawyerK

SawyerK

If someone has a fix for the above mentioned problem I will appreciate it.

50. mcbauer

mcbauer

I can't get anything but black when I try aquas on mobile. I have my camera set with the Aquas Camera component, and I added mobile water to my scene via the Quick Setup. Any guess as to what might be happening?

The only thing worth noting is that my camera--attached to my player--gets spawned in at runtime.

using 2021.3.14

[Update] Nevermind, update to 2020 and all is well with the world once more

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023