Search Unity

AQUAS Water/River Set - Water & Rivers for Mobile, VR, Web, Desktop

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dogmachris, Jan 8, 2016.

1. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Thanks Chris - I rolled one out with Aquas 2020 from the build and its perfect but I had this project with Gaia Pro Water and after removing and adding Aquas 2020 the water is black when scaled. Its probably something stupid I'm missing. :) When doing Aquas Setup with Multi-Terrain Tiles in Gaia Pro what should I put in for Terrain: or do I just scale the Plane? Or should I move this to Adam/Peter? Thanks again!

Attached Files:

2. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Not sure about the proper way but I created a single terrain just to add aquas. The terrain was the size of the set of original 36 tiles. After adding aquas I removed the terrain. Deactivated it and it seemed to work ok. Not sure of the official way though.

3. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've seen the black water in AQUAS 2020 all by itself when I messed the configuration up badly enough. Still not sure what triggered it, or how I eventually solved it - mainly deleting and re-installing AQUAS, and/or the water planes involved until they came back properly.

4. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Make sure your water plane has the correct shader.. ie aquas lake

5. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Yep - Definitely would think a Shader issue but looks good. I can add Gaia Pro Water Environment back in no problem. Going to remove all together like FargleBargle recommended and see how it goes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Mine appears black and it also was black for the water plane and named something funky

7. AXP1

AXP1

Hi Chris,

sorry for bringing up the issue with caustics again, but I think I identified the source of the disappearing caustics problem in my project. As you recommended, I have tried a "forward looking issue tracking" way, i.e. I started with a new scene, added a terrain, added Aquas2020 and then the other assets step-by-step, while checking in each step if the caustics are there or not.
    That said, I encountered the disappearing caustics problem already in step 2, as I added CTS2019 to the scene.
    Here a video about that.
    I am using Unity 2019.2.11f1, Aquas 2020 and CTS 2019. What is wrong in my setup? Maybe some compatibility issue with exact these versions of the used assets?

Cheers,
    Peter

limpin_jezus likes this.
  8. camta005

camta005

It's because CTS 2019 is compatible with terrain instancing which doesn't work with projectors (a unity issue). Have a look in your terrrain settings and in the CTS Profile you are using under Optimization Settings for 'Draw Instanced' and make sure it is unchecked in both locations.

AXP1 and limpin_jezus like this.
  9. AXP1

AXP1

Thank you very much, this solved the issue, the caustics are here!
    Actually I don´t see any difference in FPS due to disallow ´draw instanced´. I hope that this setting doesn´t disturb vegetation-studio-pro and its instanced indirect rendering.

camta005 likes this.
  10. camta005

camta005

Great :)
    Instanced indirect will be fine as the draw instanced setting only impacts the terrain material and not the trees and grass.

AXP1 likes this.
  11. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi Team - I haven't digged into to much because I usually just drop Aquas Lite Plane into MapMagic until I get to the point of having to work with water and Bring Aquas 2020 in but using new Gaia Pro with Gaia water Environment I just cant get a quick way to drop Aquas 2020 in? Has anyone got this working for quick Aquas 2020 setup? The water is black. Thoughts? :)

12. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I dropped it into an environment and it worked fine. Problem was when I added reflections. Just like aquas 1.5 it trashed the scene.

I have just created a gaia pro scene and will try adding aquas. Be about half hour

13. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Thanks Hawk0077 - When you got it working did you delete the Gaia Water Environment entirely then Bring Aquas 2020 In?

14. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I didnt add the gaia water, but I did later to test it.

Then I deleted the whole water object and added aquas.

Im just completeing a tree spawner then Il install aquas to see how it goes.

Before deleting IO usuay test by diabling the object then doing the test before deleting.

15. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Cool - I do have a new project I started with no gaia water from the start and added Aquas 2020 ok. This is a sweet project I have setup that I initially added Gaia Water and seems to be the issue for me but you'll probably get different results. :)

Hawk0077 likes this.
  16. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I cant even check at present as the interface is locked doing a tree spawnn

17. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

OK so Im trying it now.

Il list the actions.

Importing Aquas into a scene created with gaia pro and spawned everything as wel;l as added essentials like camera and water etc.

Disabling Gaia Environment-> Gaia Water Environment object

Because aquas only allows 1 terrain I created a terrain 6144x6144 and moveed it into place over my existing gaia pro 2048x3x3 terrains.

Added that terrain and flycam to aquas wizard.

And indeeed yes, its black

18. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Thanks for running the steps. :) Think we should push this to Peter/Adam? That Aquas Water 2020 looks so good.

dogmachris and Hawk0077 like this.
  19. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

@dogmachris I just upgraded to Aquas 2020 and I'm wondering what shader I should use for mobile as it's only showing Aquas/Desktop/Front/Default.

Are there supposed to be any mobile specific shaders?

20. combatsheep

combatsheep

Awesome!:)

21. peeka

peeka

with aquas 2020 I am getting random water turns black when camera angle changes. I am going to try origianl aquas see if it makes difference.

UPDATE: AQUAS won't work for my game because it's seems work best for outdoor scene not for in door, also it seem to have same problem anyway.

so the problem for me really is the light disappear on the water shader on some angle and causing the water turn black.

any idea what might caused it?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  22. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Same problem here

23. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Hi im getting erros on import. Unity 2019.1
    I have Gaia Pro imported into my project
    upload_2019-11-24_2-35-21.png

24. camta005

camta005

Finally upgraded my project to use Aquas 2020 and it's working well. There doesn't appear to be any noticeable performance drop and I have been able to recreate the same look that I had with the original Aquas.

I'm using MapMagic and the infinite water feature has been great, as I have been able to run around on an infinite terrain and never reach the edge of the water.

The only issue I found is the Scale to Frustrum feature in the CamLock script throws a null reference error if the under water effects are not being used because there is no Static Boundary. I just commented those lines out, but it's probably worth putting a check in there.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (scaleToFrustum) {
    2.     transform.localScale = new Vector3(cam.GetComponent<Camera>().farClipPlane*2f/10, 1, cam.GetComponent<Camera>().farClipPlane*2f/10);
    3.     //Vector3 boundaryScale = transform.Find("Static Boundary").localScale;
    4.     //transform.Find("Static Boundary").localScale = new Vector3(5, boundaryScale.y, 5);
    5. }

dogmachris likes this.
  25. PWPeter

PWPeter

@Hawk0077 @MagiSoftworks @SickaGamer I finally managed to find some time to look at this issue, the black Aquas water in combination with Gaia Pro is caused by the missing alpha component in the color of the directional light in the scene. To fix, select the directional light in the scene and increase the alpha channel value, this will make the Aquas water appear again:

upload_2019-11-25_4-15-4.png

26. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hi, I think I just replied to a ticket that most likely was created by you, wanted to reply here as well if other people are stuck with this issue when using Aquas (not the 2020 version) with Gaia Pro.

To fix this issue, please double click on the error so it opens the offending line in your code editor. Please replace the word "Utils" with "GaiaUtils", here is an example how it should look like:

Please do the same for all other occurences of the error. When you save the file and return to the unity editor window the errors should be fixed.

dogmachris likes this.
  27. Desert-Tiger-Games

Desert-Tiger-Games

Its really great to have a huge upgrade without have to pay again unlike some other assets in the store doing reverse for small upgrades. Thank you.

There is no notification feature from asset creator to asset owners, so maybe some of the owners will miss the chance of free upgrade. I saw some assets used updates as notification in few cases, so that will help them?

Also I want to ask something. I am remembering you said there could be some simple real waves(not flat) in new version. Maybe if I am wrong or is that planned for future updates?

dogmachris likes this.
  28. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

This looks like an amazing asset. Wonderful effects!

Before i buy it, I'd need to know whether it supports my usecase. I see that there is a transition between above water and below water.
    Would that also support air pockets in a 2.5D perspective?
    That would mean having a cut-through mesh that forms a cave. That cave shall be half-filled with water and thus have a surface inside. Outside the mesh should be water too and most importantly, when seen from the side, the "see through water" effect should not be applied to the air pocket itself.

Huge thanks!

29. Sam512

Sam512

Hey, can I create river system like R.A.M with this asset?

30. dogmachris

dogmachris

@MagiSoftworks it looks like this is somehow connected to Gaia Pro's scene setup, or at least I cannot pipoint, why AQUAS would just render black, except if it's culled out of the directional light's culling mask. Does Gaia Pro maybe bake lighting by default? Honestly I'm not sure where this comes from, but I will also try to reproduce the issue.

As for the terrain tiles: AQUAS doesn't limit you to use it on one terrain, but if you want to use one, you can specify only one. It just handles the scaling of the surface, but not more than that. You can add it without specifying a terrain and then position and scale it as you see fit - large scaling is no problem btw.

EDIT:
    Seems to be related to the integration script making no difference between Gaia and Gaia pro - will see if I have to make any changes.

EDIT: Take 2
    I really need to learn to read all posts, before replying - I see the issue was solved - sorry for spamming. :D

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Hawk0077 likes this.
  31. dogmachris

dogmachris

Thank you for highlighting, I will fix that!

camta005 likes this.
  32. dogmachris

dogmachris

Thank you for pointing that out. Do I have to make changes on my integration script to prevent this issue in the future?

Hawk0077 likes this.
  33. dogmachris

dogmachris

Well I posted notifications on the forum and repeated them whenever people asked. :)
    The update will not be free forever though, I figured 6-8 weeks would be generous enough. :p

The physical waves are done I will submit the update later today and post a short video showcasing it, although just to avoid misunderstandings: Those are not waves that are fit to simulate oceans with physical waves. They just make the water look more natural up close and allow partial submersion to render more naturally with the upper and the lower part of the viewport being split by physical waves rather than just a flat line, not more.

Desert-Tiger-Games and camta005 like this.
  34. dogmachris

dogmachris

For rivers that actually flow downhill, AQUAS may bot be an ideal solution. Surely it can somehow be tweaked to do that, but it cannot generate the proper meshes in the first place, so you'd have to do it manually.

AQUAS is fit for rendering large rivers that flow horizontally, so if you're looking for rivers that can flow downhill, RAM might be the better choice for you in all honesty.

35. dogmachris

dogmachris

Hi there,

The partial submersion depends on the camera's near clipping plane. Usually it's somewhere around 0.3, but nobody says it can't be 10 or so. If you set the camera's far clipping plane to 10, you may be able to achieve the effect you're looking for - do you follow?

36. dogmachris

dogmachris

AQUAS 2020 does not yet have shaders specifically for mobile, because newer devices seemed to handle the default shader quite well. But after some evaluation and feedback it seems indeed, that I might have to create a shader specifically for mobile. I will highlight this in the asset description.

The problem with AQUAS 2020 and mobiles is this: AQUAS's core features include underwater effects and depth buffer support that make use of some fance "texture ping pong" as it were. It allows for some nice effects, but at the same time not all features are suited for mobile. My fear is, that people will add all features that look good to their water, build the scene for android and wonder why the frame rate is so low... In the end everything comes at a cost, I'm sorry to say. :S

37. dogmachris

dogmachris

If you're working with interiors, you may want to try the shallow water. Light absortion works best with sunlight, thus the default water, may not look appropriate in interios, but the shallow water may. Does that help?

@puzzlekings
    As for the black water:
    Can you show me a short video or a screen cap where this actually happens? Just so I can see if I can pinpoint the issue. Also please tell me a bit more about the setup (advanced or simple underwater effects, depth support added?).

38. doozler

doozler

as far as I can tell, using the AQUAS 2020 depth support component on the camera causes a massive lag spike in ParticleSystem.ScheduleGeometryJobs, however, this seems to occur in builds only, everything looks fine in the editor.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  39. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I had it in the editor so had to remove aquas all together.

40. PWPeter

PWPeter

If you want to support Gaia Pro with the older Aquas version then yes, you could detect Gaia Pro by checking for the scripting define "GAIA_PRO_PRESENT" to separate between accessing "Utils" and "GaiaUtils".

dogmachris likes this.
  41. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi Peter! That worked perfect. Sorry for late reply. Thanks again. Matt

42. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Guys- I know this is probably a dumb question but using Gaia Pro with Multi-Tile Terrain how to I deploy Aquas 2020 to cover my terrain Globally using the quick setup? It only allows for one terrain field?
    Do we just have to scale from the middle of terrain? sorry if this has been answered before. :)

Attached Files:

43. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

If your terrain is 6x2048 wide for instance.... 6 x 2048 = 12,228.

So, create another terrain 12,228 x 12,228 and position it at the base of your exiting terrains. Then use aquas with that terrain. Delete the terrain afterwards, or disable it.

Worked for me.

dogmachris likes this.
  44. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

That worked like a champ. Appreciate it Hawk0077. Thanks!

dogmachris and Hawk0077 like this.
  45. yogasanauk

yogasanauk

Hi are their any tutorials on the best steps to better VR implementation....e.g cutting off some parameters or effects like caustics etc....At present underwater and VR is fuzzy and performance is generally not good similar to this video....

46. Harald_Heide

Harald_Heide

Was thinking about creating an aquarium in AR and apply the underwater effects in Aqua to have an effect only when you look into the aquarium. Was thinking of using ARFoundation in preparence for a Nreal project. Is this possible? How would be the best way of limiting the underwater effects to being active only inside the aquarium when looking into it?

47. creat327

creat327

was the underwater effect on iOS build ever fixed?

and in VR, is this single pass or no? Because it would make a huge difference on performance

48. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Hi,
    I am getting an error when importing this package. I am using the latest version of Gaia 2.04

Assets\AQUAS\Scripts\AQUAS_Gaia.cs(68,38): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Utils' does not exist in the namespace 'Gaia' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

How do I fix this?

49. camta005

camta005

Check this post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/aqu...le-vr-web-desktop.378519/page-54#post-5209397

dogmachris and rapidrunner like this.
  50. Carmelblob

Carmelblob

So I am trying to use Aquas to get a feel of a lava ocean without hurting performance. I have it looking decent, but the lava flows way too fast. I am a noob at this and I am curious how I slow down the speed of the waters movement.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019