Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Anyone know why this happens?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by derkoi, May 20, 2024.

1. derkoi

derkoi

When I unplug a mouse, keyboard or controller this happens:

It's been happing for months, I have a KVM switch and this happens when I switch back and forth, it would be great to stop it happening as I have to wait for it to finish before using my PC each time.

Thanks

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Does it happen if you connect these devices directly, and then unplug/replug them?

Because if not I would place my bets on the KVM switch. These things together with USB Hubs, especially the cheap buys, are full of weird issues as they often operate outside the specs of the connected devices and their cable lengths, plugs and EMC.

3. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it does it if it's plugged in direct too. Also my mouse sensitivity changes too and I have to tweak it in the Corsair iCue software to get it back to normal

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I assume this is a vendor supplied tool. Try uninstalling it to see if the issue goes away. Driver or firmware updates may also help.

There's also the possibility that one of your USB ports or plug could have corroded/dirty contacts or causes short circuits, or just a defective or heavily twisted cable.

Does this happen with any of the devices when plugged in directly and individually? Try different ports and cables as well, or try if the same behaviour occurs on another machine. Basically narrowing down where that defect occurs one by one, be it a specific port, device, cable or just something with the system itself (software/drivers).

5. derkoi

derkoi

It doesn't matter what USB socket or device, if I plug different USB devices in it does the same, even with a USB external drive

6. derkoi

derkoi

Also, just to add, it doesn't happen if Unity and the Unity Hub is closed.

7. derkoi

derkoi

Hmmm, seems to be related to whether or not my game logs in to Steam. I've disabled Steam login in the editor but obviously that's not the best solution.