Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Anyone interested in accessing the entire iOS SDK API from Unity?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by u3dxt, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Tripwire

Tripwire

@U3DXT, Thanks again for inviting me to the beta. I imported your asset in an empty project but I get an error while compiling. Getting this error:

Code (csharp):
    2. Ld /Users/Sebastiaan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bwckrggojlnjkkfmsthfinxuwsvc/Build/Products/steveeb.app/steveeb normal armv7
    3.     cd "/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity 4.2 Projects/Builds/NativeIOS"
    4.     setenv IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 5.0
    5.     setenv PATH "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
    6.     /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++ -arch armv7 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS6.1.sdk -L/Users/Sebastiaan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bwckrggojlnjkkfmsthfinxuwsvc/Build/Products -L/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity -L4.2 -LProjects/Builds/NativeIOS/../../NativeIOS/Assets/U3DXT/Editor/lib "-L/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity 4.2 Projects/Builds/NativeIOS" "-L/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity 4.2 Projects/Builds/NativeIOS/Libraries" -L/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity -L4.2 -LProjects/Builds/NativeIOS/../../NativeIOS/Assets/U3DXT/Editor/lib -F/Users/Sebastiaan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bwckrggojlnjkkfmsthfinxuwsvc/Build/Products -filelist /Users/Sebastiaan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bwckrggojlnjkkfmsthfinxuwsvc/Build/Intermediates/Unity-iPhone.build/Debug-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/steveeb.LinkFileList -dead_strip -weak_framework CoreMotion -weak-lSystem -stdlib=libstdc++ -fobjc-link-runtime -miphoneos-version-min=5.0 -framework Foundation -framework UIKit -framework OpenGLES -framework QuartzCore -framework OpenAL -liconv.2 -liPhone-lib -framework AudioToolbox -framework CFNetwork -framework MediaPlayer -framework CoreLocation -framework SystemConfiguration -weak_framework iAd -framework CoreMedia -framework CoreVideo -weak_framework AVFoundation -framework CoreGraphics -weak_framework CoreMotion -weak_framework GameKit -weak_framework AssetsLibrary -weak_framework StoreKit -weak_framework Accounts -weak_framework MessageUI -weak_framework Social -weak_framework Twitter -weak_framework CoreImage -lU3DXTCore -lU3DXTCoreImage -lU3DXTGameKit -lU3DXTIAP -lU3DXTMediaPlayer -lU3DXTSocial -o /Users/Sebastiaan/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-bwckrggojlnjkkfmsthfinxuwsvc/Build/Products/steveeb.app/steveeb
    Code (csharp):
    2. ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity'
    3. ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L4.2'
    4. ld: warning: directory not found for option '-LProjects/Builds/NativeIOS/../../NativeIOS/Assets/U3DXT/Editor/lib'
    5. ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/Users/Sebastiaan/Documents/Unity'
    6. ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L4.2'
    7. ld: warning: directory not found for option '-LProjects/Builds/NativeIOS/../../NativeIOS/Assets/U3DXT/Editor/lib'
    8. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

2. u3dxt

u3dxt

Tripwire, our CTO seen this issue before. It's spaces in the Unity project names / path names. Try creating a new project without spaces in the name and try again. We will see if we can fix that in the Editor script.

EDIT: Beta Build 1.2.999 should fix the issue. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. gate1

gate1

I wrote you a PM. I would like to be beta tester for EventKit.

4. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    awesome Work!
    much respect.... was looking for these a long time!
    Just bought it... :)
    So first Question: I'm looking for some example code like how to Capture a Image or Movie... is there something?
    or can you point me in the right direction?
    And do you Plan to open a Forum for Question, Problems etc ?
    Most things i'm interested in are Audio Rec, Photo Video Rec Playback on Textures etc...
    a small example would be great :)
    thxxxx for making it! Respect!

:DMuckel

5. u3dxt

u3dxt

Hi Muckel, thanks for the kind words. We do not have all the features of the iOS SDK yet, but we are quickly opening them all. We have a forum for beta users (sent you a PM) or if you have a question that you do not want public, feel free to e-mail us at: support at u3dxt.com

CoreImage and MediaPlayer is currently in beta. Those two frameworks will allow you to do image filtering, face detection, and play video/audio from the user's iPod library. Recording video is a different framework that we have not opened yet. I will try to post some examples next week depending on how busy I will be at Unite2013 in Vancouver.

6. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

Good work guys.

Do you already support reading and writing from the contact list of IOS?

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

There are a number of features I would like in your Native API package, and it is especially nice that you take the effort to make sure it supports Javascript in Unity. But I have some questions:

1. Will it only be available through the Asset Store? There are several reasons I would like this. No need to wait for Asset Store approval for any bug fixes. Problems with the Asset Store seem too common. And I would like to avoid the 25% Danish tax.

2. I notice your Native Air Extensions offers Playhaven. Will this be included in your Unity package?

3. How many features will you be including before making separate packages like you have with Native Air Extensions?

8. u3dxt

u3dxt

@GuyTidhar, not yet but we will try to get that into the next release.

@moonjump, did we meet at the Unite2013 conference?
    1. If the AssetStore allows me to sell it outside of the store, we can make it available outside.
    2. We are not doing PlayHaven because it's already available.
    3. Nice to see one of our AIR users here. :). We will not be splitting up the iOS SDK frameworks as separate packages. We will release the entire iOS SDK as one Unity3D package.

9. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thank you for the reply. No, I wasn't at Unite unfortunately.

Prime31 sells his plugins inside and outside the store, so it should be fine.

I'm not an AIR user, I was just checking you out. Your existing AIR packages gives me confidence that your support will be ongoing.

10. laserlars

laserlars

Looks very promising!
    Will I be able to use UITableView in my projects in the distant future ? :)

11. u3dxt

u3dxt

@laserlars thanks. yes, we will support UITableView in the future. We'll start on it right after iOS7.0 stuff is complete. Apple likes to change their classes and APIs around quite a bit before GM release. :-/

@moonjump ok. i'll let you know when we set it up.

12. danien

danien

Perhaps UICollectionView might be a better (although more complicated) feature to support as it is more flexible and it can do pretty much anything that UITableView can.

13. Tripwire

Tripwire

Hi,

I have a question about the SocalXT.Mail() function. How do i add an attachment (file) which is stored in Application.persistentDataPath ? It's an .sqdb file.

Edit:
    2nd question, can i add multiple files as attachment?

Edit 2:
    I managed to zip the files so i only need to know how to add an attachment to a mail :)

Edit 3:
    Been busy trying stuff out what i have so far and isn't working:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var zipData : NSData = new NSData(filePath);
    3. var mfm : MFMailComposeViewController = new MFMailComposeViewController();
    4. mfm.AddAttachmentData(zipData, "applications/zip", filePath);
    5. SocialXT.Mail(EmailAdress, "SportsQ Logs", "SportQ Database files", false, null, false);

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  14. u3dxt

u3dxt

Hi Tripwire, you are on the right track. I have to get going now, but I will be back to help you tomorrow.

But here's a few pointers to get you going in the right direction:

MFMailComposeViewController is the class you want to use. We will have to use the low level API for this.

Do not use SocialXT.Mail, it is a high level API only for attaching images.

EDIT:
    I wrote a tutorial on how to attach any type of binary data: Mail Anything with Unity3D

Here's the video on how to do it:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  15. totsboy

totsboy

Hello,
    I have just installed the U3DXT plugin and I'm testing in-app purchases, but I'm getting an error while building the project on x-code:

Any idea why it can't find the library? I've already checked the location and it's right.

Thanks

16. u3dxt

u3dxt

Do you have spaces in your project path? If so, download the new version from the asset store. Or try creating a new project without spaces and see if the error goes away.

17. totsboy

totsboy

Yes, the project name has spaces. Removing them fixed the issue!
    Thanks a lot, I was stuck on this for over one hour! :)

18. u3dxt

u3dxt

Have you tried the newest version in the asset store? The version on there now should have the spacing issue fixed. But if not, the next version we will release on Sept 10th will surely be fixed. :)

19. Tripwire

Tripwire

Thanks! Works like a charm :)

20. u3dxt

u3dxt

Just a quick update: Looks like the iOS 7.0 API has finally stabilized and some blocker bugs fixed. The iOS 7.0 frameworks will be available on Sept. 18th. We promise it will be awesome. :)

Oh, it will be part of this package of course!

21. Tripwire

Tripwire

Hi u3dxt,

Is the native ios camera available in this kit? And is it possible to add custom buttons to the camera lika adding a custom take photo button etc?

22. u3dxt

u3dxt

Native Camera is not available yet. The built in Unity WebCamera APIs seems to be pretty flexible already. You can add a custom button to take pictures as well. I will look at the native camera APIs after we release iOS 7.0 things. If there are some cool things we can do natively that Unity camera API doesn't already support, we will expose it.

We will also try a different pricing scheme to see if we can get some more customers. For those of you who supported us so far, thank you. :)

23. rickdal

rickdal

Hi u3dxt,

I have a question about using your social.share functionality. I am trying to add excluded types to the share and I cant seem to get it to work. Here is what I am doing...

SocialXT.Share(new object[] {
    _imageTargetToPrint
    },
    new string[] {
    "UIActivityTypePrint",
    "UIActivityTypeCopyToPasteboard",
    "UIActivityTypeAssignToContact",
    "UIActivityTypeSaveToCameraRoll"
    });

I am passing in the strings for the excluded types, but when I run the code, it will always show the types I am trying to "hide". Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

24. u3dxt

u3dxt

Hi rickdal, it's better to use the constants as defined in UIActivity.

This should do the trick:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         SocialXT.Share (new object[] {
    3.         _imageTargetToPrint
    4.         },
    5.         new string[]{
    7.             U3DXT.iOS.Native.UIKit.UIActivity.TypePrint,
    8.             U3DXT.iOS.Native.UIKit.UIActivity.TypeCopyToPasteboard,
    9.             U3DXT.iOS.Native.UIKit.UIActivity.TypeAssignToContact,
    10.             U3DXT.iOS.Native.UIKit.UIActivity.TypeSaveToCameraRoll
    12.         });

25. jerotas

jerotas

Great product idea you guys have! I went ahead and bought it to support you guys for some stuff I can't get in ANY other plugin, like SMS and playing songs from a user's library.

However I (and probably some others) have moved on from Prime31 and their uber-responsive, yet unhelpful "look at the Facebook docs" responses to questions. I've picked up Neatplug's Facebook and Flurry analytics plugin, they are wayyyyy better support than Prime. And way less code I have to write too, Just thought you might want to know about your most hopeful competitor.

Also, I was wondering why I can only find "usage" pages on 3 of the 17 API's you have. Will there be more sample code written soon for the others?

26. Tripwire

Tripwire

I'm now using Prime31 for getting control over the native camera and get access to the Photo gallery which aren't accessible through normal Unity3D code. But I think the Prime31 etcetera plugin is rather limited so if you could open up these libraries it would be awesome!

27. u3dxt

u3dxt

@jerotas I own http://unity3d.tutsmobile.com. I am reorganizing the site with video tutorials, it will be a sister site to http://www.u3dxt.com. I found that we have a wide range of customers. So in that site, I split it up into various difficulty modes, Easy, Medium, and Hard (hehe). Easy mode doesn't require coding, Medium uses high level APIs (one-liners), and Hard mode is digging directly into the native API so that you can do whatever a Native App can do. So, in addition to this plugin, we would like to provide solutions to people via the video tutorial site. Let us know if there's a problem you would like us to solve, if we can solve it with our plugin, we will likely write a tutorial for it.

@Tripwire Gotcha, it will be next on our list. Thanks!

EDIT: @jerotas, We include at least one example scene per framework. Some frameworks have hundreds of APIs but we try to hit the most common. But we would love to hear about obscure things people want to do with our plugin as well and would love to include those as examples.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  28. Tripwire

Tripwire

Superb thx :) god i love your support! Any idea when it will be available?

29. u3dxt

u3dxt

Hi Tripwire, my mistake earlier -- we actually already have this available. We don't have the high-level API with the super easy calls yet, but you can access the low-level API directly like below. As for the custom button on top of the camera, we will add it in the next version.

Code (csharp):
    2. void PickImage() {
    3.     var picker = new UIImagePickerController();
    4.     picker.sourceType = UIImagePickerControllerSourceType.PhotoLibrary; // or UIImagePickerControllerSourceType.Camera;
    5.     if (_myImagePickerControllerDelegate == null)
    6.         _myImagePickerControllerDelegate = new MyImagePickerControllerDelegate();
    7.     picker.Delegate = _myImagePickerControllerDelegate;
    9.     UIApplication.SharedApplication().keyWindow.rootViewController.PresentViewController(picker, true, null);
    10. }
    12. class MyImagePickerControllerDelegate : UIImagePickerControllerDelegate {
    14.     public override void DidFinishPickingMediaWithInfo(UIImagePickerController picker, Dictionary<object, object> info) {
    15.         // dismiss the view
    16.         if (picker.parentViewController != null)
    17.             picker.parentViewController.DismissViewController(true, null);
    18.         else
    19.             UIApplication.SharedApplication().keyWindow.rootViewController.DismissViewController(true, null);
    21.         // get the image as an UIImage
    22.         UIImage image = info[UIImagePickerController.OriginalImage] as UIImage;
    23.         Debug.Log("got image: " + image);
    25.         // convert to unity's Texture2D
    26.         // expensive operation because it uploads whole image to GPU
    27. //      Texture2D texture2D = image.ToTexture2D();
    28. //      Debug.Log("got texture2D: " + texture2D);
    30.         // do your thing here
    31.     }
    33.     public override void DidCancel(UIImagePickerController picker) {
    34.         // dismiss the view
    35.         if (picker.parentViewController != null)
    36.             picker.parentViewController.DismissViewController(true, null);
    37.         else
    38.             UIApplication.SharedApplication().keyWindow.rootViewController.DismissViewController(true, null);
    40.         Debug.Log("user cancelled");
    41.     }
    42. }

30. Tripwire

Tripwire

Great stuff thanks! It's getting easier and easier to use the low level API :)

Quick question, when will the asset be updated with iOS 7 frameworks?

31. u3dxt

u3dxt

@Tripwire, we've already updated for GameKit. We also have support for new frameworks like Game Controller, Multipeer, and Speech Synthesis.

The plugin has been approved a few hours ago, but for some reason, it's not showing up on the AssetStore yet.

32. Tripwire

Tripwire

Got the update message now :) updating right away!

Edit:
    Downloaded the latest version from the Asset Store! I found a bug though:
    The bug with Apple Mach-o Link errors popping up when you have spaces in the name is still there. I changed my Unity3D folder to work without spaces and now it compiles :)

Edit2:
    Tried the tex = image.toTexture2D; but it crashes my app :(

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  33. ploink

ploink

I have a problem getting started with U3DXT. I purchased today and imported it to my project and activated the modules:
    a) Core
    b) Social Networking
    c) Game Kit

Now I got 2 errors in the console with the script, and have no idea what's going on. Is there a bug in the package? The messages go like this:

a)
    Assets/U3DXT/Prefabs/SupportFiles/storekit/StoreProductViewController.cs(4,24): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `StoreKit' does not exist in the namespace `U3DXT.iOS.Native'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    b)
    Assets/U3DXT/Prefabs/SupportFiles/storekit/StoreProductViewController.cs(82,61): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SKStoreProductViewControllerDelegate' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

I am using Unity Pro 4.2.1f4 on a mac.

Is this the right place for a question like this?

34. u3dxt

u3dxt

Hi Ploink, yes this is the place. Looks like we renamed storekit to IAP but missed this example. If you are not using IAP, just go ahead and delete that file for now, otherwise please leave the IAP module enabled and the error will go away.

Thanks for reporting this.

35. ploink

ploink

Thanks for your quick reply. It worked, the errors are gone. :)

But now I encountered another problem:
    I started following these guide under "Usage" and started with the basic usage.
    http://u3dxt.com/docs/gamekit

I copied the AuthenticateLocalPlayer bits into my code and got a few errors, because I don't now which code to import with "using". I added these...
    using U3DXT.Core;
    using U3DXT.iOS.GameKit;
    using U3DXT.iOS.Native;

...but one error is still there:
    "Assets/Classes/WelcomeGUI.cs(78,79): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `EventArgs' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"

How can I find out, what I am missing? Would be helpful to include this stuff in your documentation, I guess.. :)

Thanks for your help!

36. u3dxt

u3dxt

Check out the example in U3DXT\Examples\gamekit\GKMeeting or AdLibs for fully functional examples that you can try out on the device.

We'll make the gamekit docs a bit easier to follow, we're trying to hit a balance between too much information and not enough. Maybe we should go with too much information.

Also, if you are ever wondering which frameworks to import, check out the API page: http://u3dxt.com/api/

There is a search icon (magnifying glass), then you can search for the class name wait to use and it will tell you the namespace that you need to be using.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we also have tutorial videos here at http://unity3d.tutsmobile.com
    I will knock out a GameKit video tutorial in the next few days.

EDIT: @ploink, Since we also generate the full API in XML, intellisense and code complete also works in MonoDevelop. The trick I use: In MonoDevelop, you can right-click and select resolve.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  37. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

I'd like to know if this solution works with Testflight Autopilot system? that is, I can deploy to TestFlight using AutoPilot right from Unity Editor.

Thanks!

Jean

38. u3dxt

u3dxt

Jean, I do not have experience with Testflight Autopilot system. Our plugin does modify the XCode project to inject the required frameworks and other set up things so that you do not have to mess with XCode.

I just sent you a PM with a link to download the beta, perhaps you can try it out and let us know if it works for you?

39. ploink

ploink

Thanks again,

"resolve" in MonoDevelop worked great for me. Didn't know it that! I guess that might help me with future problems, too. So thanks.

(I couldn't figure how to open the examples. I downloaded them, but I can't find them and I can open them. Sorry, for being dumb! :) I tried the API and the tutorials before writing, but both didn't really help. The tutorial is not what I wanted and the API page is something where I have no clue where to search. I would always look for that in the dosumentation / usage.)

40. jittiang

jittiang

Hello,
    I got Apple Mach-O Linker Error 201 error when build IAPTest in Xcode 5.0
    How to solve this problem?

Thank you!

41. u3dxt

u3dxt

@Ploink - The usage documentation on u3dxt.com is kind of like a high level overview, it's not meant to be full running code examples. We package full runnable examples into the U3DXT package. We tried to be clever and package the examples as packages instead of just scene files and source files because we thought it might save some compilation time. Anyway, I made a video to explain how to access the examples, hopefully it will help:

@jittiang - I've seen this error before. It usually happens when I tried to run on the simulator. In the top left corner, is a real device selected?

42. jittiang

jittiang

@u3dxt - Yes, I tried to build on iPhone4S with iOS 7.0

43. u3dxt

u3dxt

@jittiang - Attached is a video of the build and run process for IAPTest. Please let me know if you find something different in your build process. The symbolic link change and changing to DWARF are optional, it just makes XCode build faster. But things to check for are the frameworks, especially if StoreKit.framework is there and architecture is set to arm6 arm7.

One last important thing. Try to do a "replace" instead of an append from Unity3D.

Also, can you post the complete error message? Thanks!

[video=youtube_share;G4H8Zlu91-o]http://youtu.be/G4H8Zlu91-o

44. jittiang

jittiang

@u3dxt - What's version of Unity in your video?

$Screen Shot 2556-09-21 at 12.50.48 AM.png

I'm use Unity 4.2.1f and seem the problem about the post process 'cause i don't have StoreKit.framework and many of *.a like you in video.

45. u3dxt

u3dxt

@jittiang - That video is from 3.5.7. We also test with 4.1.2. I will download 4.2.1f and do a quick test, perhaps something changed. :-/
    As a workaround, you may need to add the frameworks and .a files manually in XCode, Build Phases, Link Binary With Libraries. The .a files are located in U3DXT/Editor/lib/*.a

The 4.2.1f download will take a while, I'll update this post again once I try it out. Thanks!

EDIT: I just installed 4.2.1f and XCode5 (Official Release, Not Beta) and it works fine. Is XCode installed in the standard path? Do you have multiple versions of XCode installed? Can you post a screenshot of the error in XCode? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  46. jittiang

jittiang

I have only one Xcode 5.0(5A1413) version from Mac App Store and installed in standard path in /Applications.

$Screen Shot 2556-09-21 at 5.07.32 AM.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  47. u3dxt

u3dxt

It's probably the post process script conflicting with something in your system. We will modify the script to do more error checking and hopefully spit out where it failed in adding the static libraries and frameworks. If you don't mind, please join our beta program, http://www.u3dxt.com/register Use invite code, "BETA". We'll be able to give you builds faster than going through the Asset Store.

In the meantime, did the workaround work?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  48. crushforth

crushforth

I purchased this yesterday and so far what you've done is really, really impressive.

I'm trying to get in app purchases working in iOS and I'm getting a crash when trying to obtain the price for an product.

So far obtaining the product title and description works perfectly but any attempt to access the price crashes the app.

E.g.

U3DXT.iOS.Native.StoreKit.SKProduct product = IAPXT.GetProduct("<product id removed>");
    string price = product.price.ToString();

I'm probably accessing it incorrectly. What I'm trying to do is get the correct localized price that I can show on a store page.

49. u3dxt

u3dxt

@crushforth I verified that it is a bug, we will send you a link to the new build once we have it built. Thanks.

EDIT: We found the problem, just PM'd you a link to download the build. A new version has been submitted to the asset store, but if anyone else encounters this bug, feel free to PM me for the build as well. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  50. jittiang

jittiang

@u3dxt - I have manually add framework and *.a files in my Xcode project and all errors are gone except this one "ld: library not found for -liPhone-lib".
    Thank you!