Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone displaying their game at PAX Melbourne?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tedthebug, Jul 6, 2015.

1. tedthebug

tedthebug

Hi, I was curious if anyone here will be showing their game at PAX Melbourne? I generally try to check out all the indie games there but am most interested in seeing the ones made with Unity & possibly chatting to people about how they got the game & design to that point. If I know in advance then I can make sure I get around to seeing it instead of getting distracted by the latest shiny thing being thrown into the crowd from a noisy booth.

Thanks

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've submitted my game. Its a long shot for me, the game it pretty simple. But I'll let you know if they actually accept. Either way I'm going to try and be there.

Samuel411 likes this.
  3. Samuel411

Samuel411

Good luck man!

As for me I am hoping to go next year with a finished product let's see how that goes.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

pond wars?

5. tedthebug

tedthebug

cool, good luck.

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

I never realised PAX was something you could "submit" your game to. I always assumed it was invite-only.

I'll have to think about that next year...

7. SteveJ

SteveJ

8. tedthebug

tedthebug

9. tedthebug

tedthebug

jinx

SteveJ likes this.
  10. SteveJ

SteveJ

That's a little extra motivator to create a game that's actually, you know, GOOD by next year :)

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Grafos

Grafos

Hopfully next year

12. tedthebug

tedthebug

you guys aim high. At this point I'm aiming for a game that works (but maybe in a few years......)

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yup. Like I said, its a long shot. The game is pretty small and simple. But I think its is fun. (I also understand I'm biased.)

If it does get showcased, that's something concrete I can put on my CV for getting into the industry. If not, I haven't really lost anything by trying.

14. tedthebug

tedthebug

and if it gets in we can all go see what we've been reading about in the forums. Excellent. Good luck with it

15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

or you can follow the link in his sig.

True that. Good luck. Let us know. Might have to consider looking into PAX next year myself. Have relatives in Melbourne, so doubt I would have trouble convincing the wife (its her sister).

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That works if you want to play it.

And if I get to PAX I don't mind showing people around the code. I'm not quite willing to paste the source across the net yet. I still have delusions of the game suddenly going viral.

I also understand you can purchase a booth at PAX. The price is prohibitive on my current monetisation model. "Give it away for free" doesn't exactly bring in fortunes. I'm tempted to do something crazy like hire out a booth with a bunch of other devs and split the price.

17. tedthebug

tedthebug

Depending on the cost that isn't as silly as it sounds if there is enough space that you can fit enough of you in to make the cost ok & still each have enough space to display. If you were going to pax anyway then you could compare the cost of buying your ticket with the cost of the booth. You'd just need to ensure someone can display your game while you are resting/looking around yourself but maybe the others could all timeshare with each other so you all get a break (hell, if you're desperate on the Friday or Saturday when I'm there I'd offer to stand there while you had a snack or something, I'm not confident I could last much longer & sound like I knew anything). Just check the booth placement, last year there were some game booths stuck off at the edges amongst hardware booths & I don't think many people found them so the cost may not be worth that minimal exposure.

Personally I'm not at the point where I'd understand any code I was shown but I appreciate the offer. I'm still at the stage of learning how to put ideas together, attempt to cobble together code to test them, & then have the guts to rip bits out. Things make more sense when I actually see them & can discuss whatever pops into my head so I can link stuff together & I've found people here are willing to share in ways most studios don't so it seemed the perfect opportunity.