Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question ANYA pathfinding

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ThySpektre, May 22, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Has anyone found a C# implementation of ANYA pathfinding?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Thanks for the link!

I don't think that is ANYA though. It look like some variant of strict Theta star?

ANYA would find optimal paths. This algorithm states it does not.

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta*

Ryiah likely interpreted your use of 'anya' to mean "any angle"... if you're searching for a very specific implementation than needs more digging. I will note that from looking at the wiki article for any angle it sort of suggests a specific algo called ANYA is based on Theta*:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Any-angle_path_planning

MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Technically Google did because I had never heard of the term before. :p

Which is the catch when you're asking for resources and you don't go into any more detail than an acronym. ;)

MadeFromPolygons and lordofduct like this.
  6. lordofduct

lordofduct

Same... when I googled "anya pathfinding" I too got the generic any-angle articles.

I have heard of any-angle, I haven't really read "ANYA" before though. But was like "Oh, ok... guess people are short-handing/acronyming it I guess. Like OOP or CPP."

7. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Actually the name of the actual algorithm... ANYA.
    Well, not exactly. Closer to the other way around. Extensions of Theta*, Strict Theta*, and Recursive Strict Theta*, restrict the search space to taut paths introduced in ANYA.

Had you read down a few more lines you would have seen more than "sort of suggests" it, it specifically calls it out.

"ANYA[16] - Finds optimal any-angle paths by restricting the search space to the Taut paths (a path where every heading change in the path “wraps” tightly around some obstacle); looking at an interval of points as a node rather than a single point. The fastest online optimal technique known. This algorithm is restricted to 2D grids."

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  8. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Rather than an acronym, it is the actual name of the algorithm. Listed in any-angle pathfinding wiki page and described here:
    https://users.cecs.anu.edu.au/~dharabor/data/papers/harabor-grastien-icaps13.pdf

9. lordofduct

lordofduct

Cool story bro. I think you got this then.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

MadeFromPolygons and lordofduct like this.
  11. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Or hopefully someone else who knows something on the subject.

12. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

When you ask for an algorithm by name, its expected that someone won't respond with a different topic, or at least ask to clear up that that they don't understand.

Had I asked for an A* pathfinding algorithm, I would not have then gone on to explain what it was in detail.

13. lordofduct

lordofduct

Undefined jargon is undefined jargon. Try googling "ANYA" you get nothing related to pathfinding. Try googling "ANYA pathfinding" and you get results about "Any-Angle Pathfinding".

I remember you now. You have a habit of every few months posting really vague questions and then revealing your cards later into the conversation and taken back no one knew what you were talking about from your vague first post. It's just your post history is so all over the place I forget your username by the next time it pops up. And every time I tell myself to remember next time. I'm going to work on that.

Tootles.

14. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

There is a difference between a thing being undefined and individuals such as yourself who don't know the definition.

Why even in the wiki article you cited in your post above calls out this algorithm by name.

Unlike you, I remembered your username well. You like to come into posts armed with snark only and hope it gets you by. Your entering a thread is like a marker for productive discussion coming to a halt.

Should you wish to post in this thread again, I would hope it would have SOMETHING to do with the requested information of a C# implementation of the ANYA pathfinding algorithm.

15. lordofduct

lordofduct

Not every post... just yours.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  16. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Case in point.

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I believe this thread has now run its course.
    Thread locked

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.