Search Unity

Any fast ways to prototype an authoritative server game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Limnage, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Limnage

Limnage

Are there any ways to quickly prototype and test a mutiplayer game with authoritative dedicated servers? If not, what's the fastest way to prototype even if it doesn't use authoritative dedicated servers.

2. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Not that I've found. I've been working on the same authoritative server game for 4 years now, and have switched server software 3 times during that period. Finally using SmartFox. It's a long hard slog with new things to learn at every turn. A thousand google searches for this, that, and the other is the only way I've found to move forward.

Limnage and g_a_p like this.
  3. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

I would recommend SmartFox too. Sometimes for prototyping I use Javascript on the server side instead of Java. Especially for the quick and dirty tests. It is quite effective.

Limnage, g_a_p and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Fast development and networked games don't go together. That said, I'd choose a network solution with a lot of high level functionality for the fastest means of prototyping.

TwoTen and Limnage like this.
  5. bluescrn

bluescrn

If you're purely prototyping game mechanics for a multiplayer game, you could consider good old-fashioned split-screen?