Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Animation Rigging physic Constraint?

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by Reanimate_L, May 14, 2019.

1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Any news for physics constraint for animation rigging? i'm talking about active ragdoll and blend in and out from ragdoll state?

2. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi @Reanimate_L,

We've started exploring how to make that happen internally in the Animation C# Jobs for Animation Rigging, but right now this is not currently supported for this preview version of Animation Rigging.

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I assume due the complexity of integration with the physic systems?

4. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Yes. We need to make the physics evaluation accessible to the animation stream that is used by the C# jobs driving Animation Rigging. This requires reading back from the scene after physics evaluation to feed back the result to the animation stream.

5. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

Some time ago I found this awesome script, I don't know who made it anymore but it should still work (maybe you have to apply some API changes). It blends from mecanim to ragdoll and back using StandUpFromBelly and StandUpFromBack Animations (which you'll have to create on your own).

It's very simple to use, you just need this script, a rigged character, the two animations and one extra script to activate the "Ragdoll Helper".

That's not an "active ragdoll" but you can blend between ragdoll and animated back and forth.

Attached Files:

6. Incole

Incole

Hello!
    Any updates on this? Do you have plans to make animation rigging work with ragdoll?

7. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi, I think I mentioned this in another thread before, but there is no ongoing work in getting ragdoll physics working with Animation Rigging. The current animation pipeline makes it very hard for animation rigging to evaluate seamlessly with the physics engine.

However, this is definitely something we are looking at for DOTS.Animation and DOTS.Physics.

8. woskey

woskey

Hey are there any updates on this. I want to create a custom IK that offsets the IK end effector using physics, or even a simple collision. The idea currently is to constrain an IK effector to the raw wrist joint positions after applying the animation clip, then offset that effector based on any collider interactions.

Ideally I would collect the raw position data in the animation stream and apply that to an effector with a collider or rigid body, evaluate the physics/collisions, then send that new position data back up into the animation stream to feed to the IK constraint. Hopefully that makes sense.

Tldr, I need animations stream results, then physics results, then a final animation stream pass, is there any way to accomplish this?

cmann and julia9visser like this.
  9. nadirabid

nadirabid

Still no update on this?