Search Unity

Animation Rigging and Timeline

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by m506, May 16, 2020.

1. m506

m506

Hi, I came across with the Unity post below, which shows it is possible to integrate the animation rigging package with timeline in 2019.3, including the usage of animation layers to blend multiple animations:
    https://unity.com/releases/2019-3/artist-tools#animation-rigging-timeline
    I tried to figure out a way of adding the animation layers but I couldn't manage to. (i am using 2019.3.13f1)
    So can someone please point me out how I can do it?
    I also read it was possible to keyframe animations directly in timeline (for cinematics). Is it possible as of today?

Thank you

2. dgiddy

dgiddy

Hey! So it looks like you're asking a couple of things here:

1. Timeline does support being able to use animators and override layers. Most of the animation occurring in timeline hinges off of Animators but it doesn't behave like a normal Animator does. Override layers can be found via right clicking on your Animation Track and going to Add Override Track. You can then set this up to override certain parts of your base tracks. It does however require an Animator component to be on your parent object. It operates exactly like how adding layers to your Animator component works, where you can override the top half of your run animation when a character is sprint firing etc.
    upload_2020-5-21_10-45-39.png

2.Yes it is also possible to key-frame directly into Timeline, once adding an animation track you can then drag in your desired Transform and this will give you the option to create an Animator Component (if there isn't already one). From there you can then hit the red record button and start key-framing away!
    upload_2020-5-21_10-50-45.png

After you're done key framing you can also then open up that key-framed sequence in the Animation editor and tweak as needed.
    upload_2020-5-21_10-52-39.png

And you can also expand to see the animation curves.
    upload_2020-5-21_10-53-27.png

Hope this somewhat helps!

seant_unity likes this.
  3. m506

m506

Thanks for taking your time to post this. I will play around with all this. Regards

4. ioFlow

ioFlow

But can we use animation rigging to animate a character in the timeline in the editor?

Or does animation rigging only work at runtime?

I.e. I want to animate my character pressing a range of buttons in various different sequenences, can I just animate empties in the timeline then have the character follow them via animation rigging in the editor so that I can scrub back and forth quickly without having to run the game everytime I want to check an animation?

5. m506

m506