Search Unity

Animation Rigging and Timeline Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Animation Rigging' started by m506, Jun 5, 2020.

1. m506

m506

Hi,

I've managed to get Animation Rigging and Timeline to work properly using a humanoid character.

The combo AR/Timeline is a very powerful and helpful tool for creating cinematics within Unity without the need of any third party systems, which can drastically improves one's workflow, but at the moment it lacks documentation on how to use it properly.

Just so people can get a reference, I put down a quick guide on what worked for me.
    This will allow you to animate your rig during "Edit Mode" so you can visualise constraints changes,
    which normally would only execute during "Play mode".

1) Create a timeline asset in the root character gameobject, where the "Rig Builder" component is located
    2) Add a base animation clip (eg idle) as the first track (otherwise character will be moved to origin)
    [This might not be necessary if your character is Generic. Not sure]
    3) Change in "Track Offsets" to "Apply Scene Offsets"
    4) Right click your base animation and "Add Override Track"
    5) To start key-framing a Rig constraint, make sure the timeline windows is locked and the "Preview" button is activated
    6) Hit Record on your Override Track
    7) Select the gameobject of any constraints within the hierarchy that affects the rig (eg LeftArm_target)
    8) If you did everything correctly, your rig will be affected and it will move accordingly as you change its position/rotation
    9) You are able to animate any number of constraints you need in a given Override Track
    10) Once you're finished just hit stop recording. You can then click the "Animation Curve" icon in the Override Track and reposition the keys as necessary. This will affect the rig even without hit recording

Any improvements in this workflow please comment.

dindum21, pachermann, friuns3 and 7 others like this.
  2. sinjinn

sinjinn

Hey. Great, straight forward guide. Hoping to use it soon. If I could just understand a basic workflow.

3. flyer19

flyer19

any video ?

4. mindCreatesMeaning

mindCreatesMeaning

I've created a video walk through of @m506 original 'walkthrough' on how to use Animation Rigging with Timeline as requested by @flyer19 .

Here's the link:

The video reveals recommended workflow modifications and reveals flaws or bugs in how Animation Rigging package handles certain TwoBoneIK constraints versus others.

If you have your own workflow recommendations for fixing the issues that appear in this video, please post as a response so that we all may move forward together. Thanks.

acMacav, dindum21, tsukimi and 3 others like this.
  5. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I believe you have this issue because of how Foot IK works with humanoid characters. The builtin humanoid IK applies after Animation Rigging and will override your results. Try disabling "Foot IK" in Timeline for both your base clip and your override clip to see if it fixes your issue.
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.52.11 AM.png

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021