Search Unity

Animation Import (Mixamo) Odd leg...

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Ruffian0305, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Ruffian0305

Ruffian0305

Hello! I have worked a bit with animations and mixamo before, but this is the first time I have had this particular problem and I can not crack it.

I have tried using a custom model, a mixamo model, and the unity guy and the results are the same.

Onto the problem:
    I have a model (in this case, Unity Guy will be a good example) that is rigged proper and such, as well as a Mixamo animation (in this case a simple running animation).

(Full album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/N8qcr )

My Mixamo animation rig: (https://i.imgur.com/kulea6k.png)
    My characters rig: (https://imgur.com/rrdD0gM)
    *Note: The unity guy rig, as well as a Mixamo rigged character produces the same results

The rigs look okay, everything seems to match up, mooooving on....

Let's look at a walking animation:
    Unity Guy Walking: (https://imgur.com/kcPhdgx)
    Barbarian Walking: (https://imgur.com/xX2ZOAD) Note: I know he is huge, I am not sure why, another problem for another day it seems

Walking looks good, lets try to run!
    Unity Guy Running: (https://imgur.com/71t4TXR)
    Barbarian Running: (https://imgur.com/e2rhHKn)

Say what now? That left foot looks great!

I am not sure what is happening, why it is happening ... It happens with every animation (I did a lot of tweaking to get the walk to look halfway decent, changed some bones ... but it doesnt help when every other animation is broken and I can't change the rig per animation). Right foot is fine, left foot hates the world. And when it runs it just kind of ragdolls around the "ankle" and looks terrible.

I am at a loss with this one, and I really hope someone else has seen/encountered this and knows a way I might be able to fix it!

The animations I am using can be downloaded
    here (walk): https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=male+brutal+walk
    and here (run): https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=1&query=running+forward+quickly
    if you wanted to check for yourself.

Dflow likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I saw this before - someone was having the same issue with a blender imported animation. Consider looking back through the animation sub-forum.
    I cant remember the solution but a couple thoughts.
    Check the avatar applied to the animations. Might want them to match the character avatar the anims are being retargetted onto.

Double check the T pose settings. Check to see if enforcing T pose helps.

3. midiman

midiman

Not sure if you still have this issue but as there was no solution posted, I wanted to leave a possible solution for others encountering the same weirdness. I ran into the exact same issue importing some mixamo animations. For whatever reason, the following fixed the weird bendy leg issue for me. From mixamo , download the animation with skin (I used one of the robot guys). Import into unity. View the animation and make sure it is previewed with the skin you downloaded with the mixamo animation (if not, drag the downloaded fbx to the preview window to change it). It should play correctly in the preview. Switch rig to humanoid and then switch the animation target to your own character. The weird leg problems with certain animations went away after that process though I have no idea why that fixed things.

4. DMariscal

DMariscal

I was having the same issue and just came across your comment, it also fixed my issues importing animations from mixamo, thanks for taking the time to post your solution!

5. SolarFalcon

SolarFalcon

You can also use the UMotion animation asset to fix Mixamo's buggy animations. The free version works just fine for these purposes, but I'd suggest buying the pro-version if you can, as it's a powerful animation tool imo.

6. JotaRata

JotaRata

I have a fix. I had an issue where the legs animations were moving oddly, and that made the character to move super weird ( the feet were twisted, the legs passed thru each other, etc).
    My solution is:
    1. Make a copy of an idle model
    2. Assign a humanoid rig, and choose Create for this model.
    3. Rename the object something like Player Rig
    4. Take all your other animations, and set the Rig to humanoid and then choose Copy form model
    5. Now select your Player Rig model as the Rig of the other animations..
    Here's where the fun begins..
    1. Open the Player Rig model in Cinema 4D or something.
    2. Set all bones rotations to zero ( relative to its parent of course ) That would make your model into a perfect T-Pose
    3. Back to Unity edit the Player Rig avatar, and then go to Pose > Enforce T-Pose.
    4. Select all your animations, go to Rig and click the Update button.
    5. Done, all your animation issues should be fixed, for now..
    I'm posting this here because i'm too lazy to post a new thread

Oh, if something goes wrong, try going to Muscles & Settings tab in the Avatar editor, and change feet space, and/or leg twist values

And the last thing, is quite annoying but Cinema4D changes the colon of the Mixamo:Hips bones into underscores like Mixamo_Hips. That would break the rigging, if you edit a mixamo model using Cinema4D make sure to re-export all you other stuff too, thus all the bone will have the same name ( and the rigging will work)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  7. CosmicBoy

CosmicBoy

A solution that worked for me at the end of this thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/fuse-mixamo-animation-problem.491967/

Download the T-Pose animation and model from Maximo, set the avatar to Humanoid and Configure the Avatars bones. Then set all other Maximo models with animations to copy from the Avatar of the T-Pose model, then those animations will work on other Avatars correctly.

8. joeyether40

joeyether40

Ty this worked great. I have almost given up on mixamo for those odd walks.

SimDevs likes this.
  9. ridley1224

ridley1224

In the configure avatar definition screen, clicking "Enforce T-Pose" worked for correcting my mixamo animations.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.58.01 PM.png

10. mrochefort12v

mrochefort12v

Thanks! That solved my wobbly leg problem.

11. Damiano96

Damiano96

Life saver, my model has been running around looking like he has two broken legs for a week! Thankyou! :)

12. tree_arb

tree_arb

Thanks, mixamo broken leg is fixed !!!

xjjon likes this.
  13. granit

granit

Thank you! Worked like a charm. :)

14. Twist-Games

Twist-Games

I know this is an old topic, but for others who also has this problem, it worked for me, to go on to the import settings of the animation & make sure its humanoid. Then chnaging the avatar definition to "Copy from other Avater". Then i selected my own avatar, & then it worked just fine :)
    upload_2020-8-14_15-20-30.png

maxime66410 and ROBYER1 like this.
  15. peaceamit

peaceamit

Though it is an old thread, for everyone's help here is additional option that worked for me. :)

Ensure you have T-pose for Mixamo model and configure rig as humanoid. For all other animations, ensure you copy rig from the T-pose model. That way, the animations will not have the twisted legs.

16. kumarsatyam17

kumarsatyam17

In the Rig tab of every animation, you can set the Animation type as Legacy to fix that problem of weird leg animations. It had worked for me so far.

17. kumarsatyam17

kumarsatyam17

Works pretty fine Thanks a lot !!

18. Dehaku

Dehaku

I've got a slightly different leg issue that's driving me crazy.
    Any walking/running animation I get from mixamo has it's legs going inwards too far and looks derpy or even completely clips.

Example: https://gyazo.com/685c78d89462e3a45643c38d9b64f0ae

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Turning on the 'IK' button in the preview makes it look proper, but as far as I know there's no way to directly turn it on for real time use without building it yourself.
    The 'Foot IK' button in the Animator doesn't seem to have any significant impact.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  19. dcomptonambrose

dcomptonambrose

Do the other avatars have to be humanoid?

20. maxime66410

maxime66410

Or you can follow this video :

21. Darlan_GDVP

Darlan_GDVP

Who would've tought that in 2022 this answer would be useful for someone? ahaha, and it was for me, i tried and it worked this way too, i also dont have a clue why did this work

22. Kevkas

Kevkas

Yup, this actually worked, I have NO idea why downloading the animation with and without the skin from Mixamo makes a difference inside Unity, but for some reason it does. I was having the same 'inverted leg' issue from the original post of this thread. Just in case it helps others these are the steps I did, as indicated above:

- redownload the animation from Mixamo, WITH the skin (download it as .fbx for unity)
    - drag the animation to Unity, and set the Rig for the animation as 'Humanoid'
    - in the Animation tab (in the Inspector I mean) when you have the animation selected, check the preview if it's working properly with the skin from Mixamo (I used the X-Bot skin from Mixamo, the red dummy one)
    - it was working properly, so I extracted the animation clip from within the .fbx I dragged to Unity (by clicking the little arrow in the .fbx that allows you to see its content, like the skin, avatar, materials, animation, etc,), so while seeing its content I just selected the animation clip and Ctrl + D to duplicate it, effectively extracting it from the .fbx
    - I then deleted the original .fbx I dragged onto Unity, the animation one that had all the content inside
    - I then previewed the extracted animation clip only this time I selected the Unity Model (the 'unity guy' model) to check his leg and it was working properly, I also checked it with a model I am working on that I rigged and it was also working correctly (no 'inverted leg' this time). Just in case, make sure the rigged model you are using is also set to Humanoid in its Rig tab.

Thanks for sharing that info in 2014 Midiman, you saved me with that.

23. TwoSoulFox

TwoSoulFox

This. Thank you so much CosmicBoy.

24. winnysonny

winnysonny

This worked for me! Thanks for saving me from hours of animation fixing!

25. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

Same issue.

For whatever reason, I really need to use the FBXs "With Skin", otherwise the avatar inside Unity is configured strangely o_O

I tried to import the FBX "With Skin" in Blender, then remove the meshes/materials, in order to only keep the animation + bone structure, but I get the same issue.

Aside from the workarounds discussed here, does anyone know if there's something to check or fix in Unity or Mixamo ?

Extracting in Unity the AnimationClip from the "working" FBX works great, but an AnimationClip for a humanoid, serialized in text format, is enormous.