Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice in hardware, please.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by angel_m, Dec 19, 2006.

1. angel_m

angel_m

I am looking at the miniMac to introduce myself in the Mac-Unity world with a good affordable price:) but I have a few questions: is the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chipset enough for Unity? What performance can I get with this to use the shader features of Unity?
    I have read this graphic chip does not support transform and lighting by hardware,but support pixel shader model 2.0...
    I think it will be useful for the new users to know the Unity hardware requirements in detail,because in Mac world ( I mean Apple) you have a very limited and easily too expensive hardware options, specially in graphics cards.
    Thanks

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

While Unity can run all pixel shader effects on the mini mac graphics card. It really is not a lot of fun performance wise. Those cards are just not very well suited for games.

You'd probably be better off buying either an intel imac or if you need something cheap a G5 with a good graphics card. Those should be less expensive than intel mac minis by now.

3. polytropoi

polytropoi

I run Unity on a dual core minimac, w/ the 950 graphics, and I have no complaints. It's not optimal, but it's definitely workable. You can always publish to a webplayer and check it on a windows box w/ a gaming card.