Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question Adding generic Gamepad support

Discussion in 'Input System' started by anepicjourney, Dec 4, 2022.

1. anepicjourney

anepicjourney

I recently started learning Unity and I've been using the Input System 1.4.4. I added proper Gamepad inputs in the Input Action Asset. After some time not being able to get my controller to work, I found this topic https://forum.unity.com/threads/con...ystick-for-input-logitech-dual-action.879454/.

That's when it finally clicked that my controller was being recognized as a Joystick, not a Gamepad.

The only way to get it working was to manually listen to the input and press the buttons, like the person on that topic. Then it worked.

Questions:

1) I assume "button2" will only work for this specific Gamepad, not any Gamepad in which the south button is recognized as "button2" in Windows/Unity, correct?

2) Does this mean that the only way to add support to a big variety of Gamepads (that aren't just the mainstream ones) I would have to actually buy a bunch of them and add support manually/purchase an Addon like ReWire?

Cheers