Search Unity

Add a special menu to close Unity Hub entirely (tray icon included)

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi @AbrahamDUnity !

Well, my request in entirely in the title. ;)

A Steam like special menu version would be welcome in my opinion so that we could close all the Hub processes in one click, tray included.
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt,

We were asked this in the past. The thing is that's not the standard Windows behaviour. Alt + F4 should close windows but not processes. That said I see no problem adding an option to quit the Hub when the window is closed. I'll relay the idea to the team and we'll consider it.

Thanks for the feedback :)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Steam does it, I guess it's not using the standard Windows behaviour, it has a special menu. :)

4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

One of our colleagues just tested it out and Steam stays open in the tray. Are you talking about an option to quit on window close? Because like I said I'm fine with that.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't know what he did but it works for me. Click on "Exit" in the "Steam" menu and it closes both the window and the process.

Sans-titre-1.jpg

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Oh, we have that too! Look :p

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 3.04.47 PM.png

But that's not Alt + F4.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, that's what I was saying, Steam has its own menu, whatever you call that, I'm sure you can do one for Unity Hub. :)

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  8. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

I'll relay the suggestion to the team :)

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! :)

10. Thaina

Thaina

No I would against this

Closing from menu or Alt+F4 should only close that window. The tray should persist in background and need to explicitly close the tray. I would like any app that has tray icon to work this way

App with tray icon should be the app that could run in background and may have multiple instances of window. So alt+F4 should close exactly one active window and leave the tray alone

But one thing I could admit is, I don't know why unity hub should be a tray. It not even check for update and alert for update by itself unless I close the tray and reopen the hub. App with tray icon should be more capable for some more automatic task

Still as long as it has the tray icon it should persist on this current behaviour

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

With the new menu, you will still be able to do that by using the cross icon on the top right.

12. Thaina

Thaina

@APSchmidt With the current menu I get exactly what I expect. So it don't need to change anything. Nothing need to do. Unity team could invest their time in other better feature

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sure, you are alone in this world. What is good for you must be good for everyone; well, no, sorry.

14. Thaina

Thaina

This is what the sentence I should tell you

You try to change the current behaviour that everyone already familiar with (will not assume that everyone like it, just
    already familiar with
    ) to be good for you. And you expect it to be good for everyone

I am the one who try to voice that No, it's not good for me. And it more likely good for only you yourself and no one else

Sure, you are alone in this world

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is silly. What would be the problem exactly?

With the new menu on the top left, I can close both processes in one click, while you can close the window and keep the Hub open in the tray by clicking on the cross on the top right. Everybody wins.

16. Thaina

Thaina

Because I still use the Alt+F4 and sometimes with that menu to expect to close just only the windows. As I said the current behaviour is already behave like what I expect all along. And everyone already familiar with it

On the contrary. If you want to close everything include tray, the existing behaviour is just closing the tray directly and it would also close the windows. What is your problem exactly?

No, with this change only you would win, everyone lose

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, you will still be able to use it.

If you have Steam, start it. On the top left it has a special menu, clicking on Exit closes all processes including the tray one. Now:
    • click on the cross on the top right and only the window will close,
    • use Alt+F4 and only the window will close either.
    I need to change the title of this thread to avoid confusions. :)

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

I edited my first post and the title of the thread, for clarity.

19. Thaina

Thaina

@APSchmidt I see that you try to use Steam as your motto but Steam is not only one app in the world that use tray icon in windows. And is not the need to be used to justified that every app must behave the same way with it. Actually majority of popular app with the tray icon was behave as current behaviour of unity since MSN if you could remember. Only steam and some app try to be indy. Don't drag unity to be like that for your own good

Anything you want to do should not change this behaviour
    > Default close menu that also linked to alt+F4 in the window instance will close that window instance and should not close the tray and the process

20. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

This sort of escalated out of my timezone but please, don't shut down other people's suggestions like that. Surely we can all interact in a civil manner here :)

Best,

Deleted User likes this.
  21. Thaina

Thaina

What I have experience here is only YOU that don't want to listen to anyone and just want to push what you think is good into the unity hub that we are all using

I AM listening you so I could argue with you. It's you that just cut the conversation with "I'm done" "Other people enough" "I just want this feature that will change behaviour that everyone familiar with and I don't want to argue with anyone" That's what I just got in this thread

I already seen that you try to dilute your request. And maybe that's acceptable to
    add one more menu
    into the menu list. But you still don't explicitly state that you have changed the request from "Change quit menu to also quit the process and tray" into "Add another menu to quot the process and tray" yet. That's why I still post that comment

22. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Thaina,

@APSchmidt's request is to add an additional menu item. It's quite clear to me. It won't affect the default closing behaviour of the Hub. Let's not take any more messages personally.

Deleted User likes this.
  23. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

@Thaina I feel you have trouble understanding the feature request. Please let me clarify.

In every application on Windows, there are two ways to close a window: By clicking the cross (X) button on the top right corner or by holding the Alt key and pressing F4. That's true for Steam, Unity, Visual Studio, Minesweeper...

What @APSchmidt suggested was for us to additionally have a "File" menu option to exit the Hub. This would not only close the window but also quit the tray process. This does not affect the other two ways to close the window. And this feature is in Steam.

We're not talking about adding a whole menu full of options, nor changing existing behaviour.

Do you have any other questions?

Deleted User likes this.
  24. Thaina

Thaina

@AbrahamDUnity We already have the top left corner menu here

upload_2019-8-20_10-13-21.png

This is the current top left menu and this is the third option to close the hub but not the tray. There aren't just two ways there are three

However by her suggestion. The close button here will be changed into her favor. And that's my point that, if anyone mentioning top left menu then this is currently the top left menu. If you want to have file menu then it should state exactly as File Menu because top left menu means this thing
    You should state it more clearly that you will not touch this thing
    But all these time she was only talking around the corner

And even more confusion

upload_2019-8-20_10-22-13.png

Does she meant Alt+F4 should close the tray too or something?

Nothing are clear with her sentence. Only assumption around your conversation between each other. That's why I am very strongly completely go against this thread

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

What @AbrahamDUnity said in his posts #23 and #27 is exactly what I request.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2019
  26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I am leaving thread open, because there is a valid discussion to be had about default/expected behaviour. That said, I have removed some rather personal and argumentative (and a couple of others responding those posts) posts.

If you have a different point of view, feel free to express it in an adult manner. Do not attack or direct the debate individual. Make your case, don't knock other's case. Continue, and I'll start issuing thread bans.

Carry on.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

I created this thread and asked for it to be locked, why don't you do it?

28. Thaina

Thaina

@zombiegorilla The point is, I want to see and hear what it would be directly form the owner of the thread herself, not just vaguely mentioning another person comment

I also want to know what will happen to the current top left menu if she want the new top left menu (also clearly and directly from the issue owner). If the new one means it will replace old one then I want to oppose it

What I have seen is people except me already forgot that there was 3 ways to close the hub, not just 2. And so what actually is the top left menu we are talking about right now?

Will it add something like File Menu bar with only one exit button? Will it remove the current top left menu?
    Will it add another exit button into current top left menu? Won't it ambiguous?
    Or there could be whole new way about this? I don't see it

That's my point

29. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

We tend to not lock threads on request here as this restricts discussion - it might be another forum user wishes to add to this topic and we encourage discussion.

Please continue the thread as how @zombiegorilla has advised. In a postive, courteous manner.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  30. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

And to clarify no one "owns" threads. Creating a thread is simply starting a discussion. (there different considerations in wip/mwu/asset store threads).

You just say don't understand. Posting marked up screenshots and picking apart other's words is argumentative and pointless. They have made a suggestion, you don't need to litigate it. If you don't agree, share your reasons and move on. Don't be argumentative.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.