Search Unity

A more complete alternative to UNET?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Kyosaur, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Kyosaur

Kyosaur

Hello everyone! I was REALLY enjoying UNET, but ive hit some road blocks on a feature i think should be supported out of the box easily. I want custom rules for my game.

I want users to be able to change the gravity, move speed, damage...etc. I built out this wonderful server creator menu, and server finder menu, but then hit a wall. There's no real way to easily pass these attributes from one to the other? I did find "matchAttributes", and i was extremely relieved....only to then find out that the attributes use a string/long key value pair (why not string/string?). This thread also says that the attributes always return null regardless:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/matchdesc-matchattributes-are-always-null.341194/

Is there anything out there built atop the LLAPI that maybe is a bit more "complete" feeling? What are my options?

2. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Checkout Mirror and MLAPI.

Also keep in mind that Unity is depreciating UNet soon and introducing a new networking system somewhere around 2018.3 to 2019.1. This means the LLAPI and HLAPI are both going to be depreciated, which in turn means systems built on them will no longer be supported (i.e. M̶i̶r̶r̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ MLAPI will eventually not be usable in new versions of Unity).

It's a weird time to start doing network programming in Unity right now, whether to wait it out for the new system or go with an existing one depends a lot on your specific situation and if you care about upgrading your project to new versions of Unity in the future.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  3. Player7

Player7

Seems like it's always been that way ..ie a weird time to start doing network programming with Unity, unlike Unreal where it's always just been the same for years without any incomplete changes thrown in.. .. it's kinda why there are half a dozen third party solutions... and now a new 'upcoming' solution from Unity.. which is just becoming a joke now because they never seem to actually get that people want the solutions, not endless 'talk and blogs' about it. Unet phase 2 anyone..

Mirror and MLAPI came about to fix UNET before Unity had even thought about saying its been retired and abondoned, good thing really considering the track record on timing they have on doing these things is just plain awful.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Mirror now includes a replacement for the Unet LLAPI, so is no longer dependent on any of the Unity provided networking functionality. So it should continue to work fine after Unet has been removed from the engine.

5. mischa2k

mischa2k

Why do you think Mirror won't be usable in new Unity versions?

6. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware. That makes Mirror much more appealing as a replacement.

7. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Because you posted during the one minute window I was fixing an editing mistake ;)

mischa2k likes this.
  8. TwoTen

TwoTen

MLAPI is also usable without the LLAPI, it will continue to be supported.

Here is a sheet I created that compares the features between the HLAPI (Mirror).
    https://midlevel.github.io/MLAPI/features/

I would argue the MLAPI is the "more complete" alternative to UNET

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    joelspeters and RogDolos like this.