Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

_BackUpThisFolder_ButDontShipItWithYourGame

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dgoyette, Dec 16, 2018.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

A folder with this suffix is included with my build now when building under 2018.3. What exactly does this mean? What's the significance of backing this up, but not including it with the game?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm still not clear on what it's for. Based on the name of it, it seems like it's telling me to do something. Specifically, it'ws telling me to back up that folder. Why? And why would the build process leave this behind if it's not needed for the build?

3. Yeah, me neither. I believe it's a bug. I hope. Or something.

4. PieterAlbers

PieterAlbers

Would like to have some additional info on this as well.
    It messes with our deployment structure.

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

What specific 2018.3 version? Is this folder created in every new project?

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You can use it to debug the built player. Means if you attach visual studio to the player and debug it, it allows you to step through the generated cpp code rather than asm code only.

skullthug likes this.
  7. PieterAlbers

PieterAlbers

I already thought it had to do something with debugging the player - I also noticed the winpixeventruntime.dll showing up. Which is odd since I am not creating a development build at all.

The 'issue' showed up in Unity 2018.3.0f2 when I was upgrading an older project to be deployed using the .NET 4.x Equivalent as Scripting Runtime Version, .NET 4.x Api Compatibility Level and IL2CPP as the Scripting Backend.

I was creating a Windows Standalone build. My guess is that Unity is deploying the build as a development one even though the development toggle is off in build settings.

- Pieter

nco2k likes this.
  8. ratking

ratking

I have this folder currently when using Unity 2021.3.27f1 - how do I tell Unity to NOT generate it?!

Foreman_Dev and Genebris like this.