Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3.x Game Development Book Scripting Problem, -door does not play sound on collision-

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by kenlyl, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kenlyl

kenlyl

I am new to Unity and trying to work through Will Goldstone's book Unity 3.x Development Essentials. It has been a very informative book thus far and I have enjoyed the explanations and process.

However, I am stuck part way through chapter 5 while trying to get a playercollider set up to activate a door sound and animation when the FPC collides with the box collider assigned to a door object.

The setup is as follows:
    on the door object I have a box collider and an audio source.

On the FPC I added the script below and assigned two audio files to the public variables for door open and close sound.

I get no errors when saving the script, only the following warning " CS0414: The private field 'PlayerCollisions.doorTimer' is assigned but its value is never used

Being totally new to scripting I can't seem to find any errors , at least that I can recognize, in the script. I went through the setup explanations in the book several times and can't seem to find anything that I missed or set up incorrectly either.

Obviously I am missing something however because when I walk up to the door while testing the game no sounds play.

Also the audio listener is on the FPC camera and I am hearing the ambient terrain sound looping w/o any issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I was really hoping to solve this on my own, but my hope is quickly waning :-|

Thanks in advance!

PlayerCollisions script below that I am using:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class PlayerCollisions : MonoBehaviour {
    bool doorIsOpen = false;
    float doorTimer = 0.0f;
    public float doorOpenTime = 3.0f;
    public AudioClip doorOpenSound;
    public AudioClip doorShutSound;

// Use this for initialization
    void Start () {
    }
    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {
    }
    void OnControllerColliderhit(ControllerColliderHit hit) {
    if(hit.gameObject.tag == "playerDoor" doorIsOpen == false) {
    OpenDoor(hit.gameObject);
    }
    }
    void OpenDoor(GameObject door) {
    doorIsOpen = true;
    door.audio.PlayOneShot(doorOpenSound);

}
    }

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. robin-theilade

robin-theilade

Correct the casing of the H in OnControllerColliderhit so it says OnControllerColliderHit

3. kenlyl

kenlyl

Wow, ...what an obvious mistake, I can't believe I did not see that myself! I went over that script a dozen times looking for errors and never saw it!

Thanks for your help!

4. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

We've ALL done it before lol.

5. Asii

Asii

next time you've got a problem use the
    Code (csharp):
    1. [/ CODE] much easier for people to help you :)