Search Unity

2d Game kit Giving Errors in 2018.2.0f2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kingpanks, Jul 16, 2018.

1. kingpanks

kingpanks

Hello guys,

The 2d Game Kit released by Unity is giving tons of errors in Unity 2018.2.0f2. Please help with the issue. Here's the screenshot.
    Screenshot 2018-07-17 at 1.44.20 AM.png

2. kingpanks

kingpanks

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

4. kingpanks

kingpanks

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I see that you are cross posting, probably best to stick with one thread. Hopefully this isn't interrupting the rest of your Unity training!

6. devbyskc

devbyskc

I'm getting errors too but related to Cinemachine and Timeline. The errors relate to a mix-match with the Cinemachine and Timeline versions in the com.unity files in the manifest.json file. I tried to Google the error but didn't get any hints that directly matched mine. As with many of my game projects, when I upgrade my version I get the error message it was saved in a earlier version. However usually when I click continue, the project opens without issue and some general error messages regarding deprecated API's or other features. I can usually fix these and continue on with the project and save using the newest version. 2D Game Kit wouldn't work under 2018.1 until I upgraded to a newer version a couple weeks later. Now I've upgraded to 2018.1.0f2 and it is not working as it has in the past. I've also tried to file bug reports but during the build process it too fails.

I'm still a newbie to Unity even though I first started with Unity 3.x. As I have been improving my skills with each upgrade I have been pleased with the new/enhanced features. The 2D Game Kit really got me motivated. In working through the tutorial I learned a lot more about making 2D games in Unity than all the books and tutorials I had worked through previously. So this newest version's problems has bummed me out.

Like some of the new developers I've followed here, I don't have a lot of high-end gear. I work full-time overseas and learning game development in my spare time. I work primarily on a laptop and my Internet is sometimes less than desirable. But I am able to plug along all right. I was really looking forward to learning how Cinemachine and Timeline would work in a 2D game environment, and the 2D Game Kit seemed to be the avenue. However, these errors make it very difficult, if not impossible, to make progress.

7. kingpanks

kingpanks

Hi, The following method worked for me on Unity 2018.2.0f2. by @utkarshdvd I hope it works for you too. All The Best!

This is what worked for me,
    1. Start a new project, and dont add new packages here
    2. Download the 2D GameKit project from the Asset Store
    3. Delete the TextMesh Pro Asset from Assets/Utilities/TextMesh PRo
    4. Add Cinemachine from the WIndows packages, Window->Package Manager
    5. Then, in the Menu bar, Edit->Project Settings->Editor, in Version Control choose Mode->Visible Meta files
    and in the same Editor Settings,
    6. Asset Serialization->Force Text
    7. Now, in the Menu bar, Window->TextMesh Pro->Import TMP Essential Resources
    8. Finally, Window->TextMesh Pro->Project Files GUID Remapping Tools

8. devbyskc

devbyskc

Hi. Thanks for your tip, but it didn't work for me. After following your steps I got over 600 errors in the console. However I did upgrade to the newest version and things seem to be working fine now. Hope all works out well for you.

9. Chizel

Chizel

I don't see a better place to post. I am having a similar issue to this but slightly different error messages. error2dgamekit.png

10. Chizel

Chizel

Also I started using Unity Yesterday so I have no clue what I am doing really.

11. Chizel

Chizel

Also I am using Unity 2018.3.0f2

12. Chizel

Chizel

nm GOT IT WORKING!

13. ascavalcante80

ascavalcante80

I know it's not the better solution, but what I solved this problem for me was:

To use the 2D kit, I had to import it as an Asset after creating a new project. Even trying to use the 2D kit from the tutorial tab didn't work.

Notice I'm using Unity 3D on a Linux Mint (a very beta version...)

14. TommyDoomsday

TommyDoomsday

Can you tell me how you got it working? i am also new to unity, and having similar issues to what you posted

lmraddmb likes this.