Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Experimental Preview Release 4

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Johaness_Reuben, May 8, 2017.

1. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

ArthurT likes this.
  2. ArthurT

ArthurT

I'm also very interested in the isometric features, hoping to hear more about it!

3. i_am_kisly

i_am_kisly

I like many, I'm waiting for the support of isometrics. I've been waiting since I heard about the tile maps in the unity. My project is stopped, because I'm waiting for native support for isometric maps. We all would like to know if there will be an isometric support in this quarter? half a year? before the end of this year?

4. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

5. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Could we please have some news rather than descending into the commonplace loop of getting no communication for 1+ month at a time?

Every other sub in the unity forums has unity developers that are actively replying to developers and it has really helped to ease frustration!

Even the CTO replies fast, it would be nice to get some responses from 2D team without having to bump every month or two given how long this has taken already?

Thankyou

EDIT: a plain unexplained "NO we are not doing that" is better than ignoring users since beginning of january this year (which imo is absolutely dreadful communication and affects our overall view of quality of comms from unity as an organisation)

EDIT2: this i posted on 3rd of january and still no reply from any developer on this:

EDIT3: About a week after this post, there have finally been packages related to this released here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/spriteshape-preview-package.522575/

and

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-animation-preview-packages.521778/#post-3438502

Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    jc-drile77, M_R, zyzyx and 1 other person like this.
  7. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Sorry, we were working out our roadmap around Tilemap...

About isometric, we do want to support it officially. We are working on it NOW, it's no longer just on the roadmap. :)
    I do also want to give out an early preview/beta within the next quarter. I can't be anymore precise than that.

We are working hard to make sure it is performant when it comes to sorting stuff on the map.
    I hope this answers some of your questions... feel free to tell us what matters when it comes to Iso.... we'd like to know!

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  8. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Ah great thanks ! Waiting with impatience !

For now, I think tilemap need more API for create procedural content.

For sorting logic, do you plan to cut-off sprites that are bigger than 1 cell or have you take an other way ?

9. rakkarage

rakkarage

Do we still need to be using a special build to get latest Tilemap api/features? or is it in 2017 and 2018?
    Thanks.

10. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Finally, it's happens !

@ColossalPaul Sorting system will be indepedant of tilemap ? I mean, if I have a sprite that does not need to be in tilemap, is that work ?

11. uweenukr

uweenukr

Any ETA on adding the TileMapRenderer>Mode>Individual? Or the changes to the TilePalette that enable it to sort layers and snap the dropdown based on the currently selected TileMap in the Heirarchy?

Both of those features are really amazing. The Individual Mode allows proper in layer depth via the separate tiles. It is a feature many use and I myself am hesitant to move a project to an experimental build based on a much needed feature.

12. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

For my top down game, my process has been to distinguish between tilemaps that don't need to be sorted and individual objects that do. For example, I have an apartment tileset with floors, walls, hanging paintings, etc. But I also have a spritesheet full of doodads like tables, chairs, etc. The tileset does not need to be sorted, and on the occasion that it does (for example, a ceiling beam or something), I just make a separate tilemap that's always above everything else. The doodads are individual Unity game objects, so they can sort with the 2D sorting system that's been released for a while.

This is not ideal, especially since it increases the Unity game object count, but it works. I suggest not waiting for Unity to implement a solution and work with what you have.