Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Art for non-artists?

Discussion in '2D' started by Jack_Merridew, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jack_Merridew

Jack_Merridew

Let me start this post by stating that art is not my forte. How can a programmer learn to make simple pixel sprites? Are there any good software out there? I'd be happy to make oldschool 8-bit Mega Man-like characters.

2. playmonkey1

playmonkey1

If its' for experimentation I would 'borrow' existing assets and use those for your game and then create your own pixel art, IMO pixel art is pretty tough for non-artists.

3. Rutenis

Rutenis

Yes, a programmer can learn simple pixel art. Im making a 2d video game, it took me time to learn how to draw pixel art, but its actually fun to learn it. I would 100% recommend Adobe Photoshop cs6 for pixel art. Now, good tutorial on animations and stuff:

Learning how to pixel art i started here:

Then i started drawing my own maps and stuff like that. I tested around 2 months till i finally drawed something that i liked, so be pacient. :)

4. Jack_Merridew

Jack_Merridew

Thanks for the replies! I'll have a look at those tutorials.

5. fireundubh

fireundubh

6. Jack_Merridew

Jack_Merridew

That's exactly what I was looking for.

7. Dec

Dec

8. Playlectric

Playlectric

Hi Jack, these tutorials should get you started:
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

If you're looking for applications dedicated to the creation of pixelart, Pro Motion ($78) is probably one of the best/cheapest solutions out there - it's used by Gameloft, Electronic Arts, Glu Mobile, UbiSoft etc. The free version of GraphicsGale is a decent alternative. Alternatively, here's a YouTube tutorial that shows you how to set up GIMP so that's it's easier to use for creating pixel art.

Hope this helps :)

Morten / Team Playlectric

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014