Search Unity

Official 2D Animation is out of preview for 2019.3

Discussion in '2D' started by rustum, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvOne

EvOne

I didn’t notice the "elephant" ... :oops:
    -In the my Unity's Package Manager, there was no mention of 4.1.1, but I didn’t look for it in the Change Log anymore - and I didn’t notice this drop-down list: o_O
    Big Thanks!

It turns out that version 4.1.1 is the same version 3.1.1, but only for Unity 2020?
    -After comparing the logs, I see that these versions are practically no different.

2. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, by and large there are the same. The major versioning is mainly to track which Unity version the package is meant for. This is due to there might be changes in particular Unity version that can affect the package and not the others.

Whenever there might be a major feature that will not be in a particular version, we will also make a forum announcement to let you guys know about it. The new features might not get into the older versions with the same reasons why a new feature in Unity is not backport to the older version.

EvOne likes this.
  3. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

4. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

@Leo-Yaik
    ANOTHER BUG here:

Open the New Scene Scene, click on the character named "TEST MY CHARCTER",
    Go into the Animation Window, Enable Preview" mode, drag the timeline and you will see that the LEGS of the charcter are moving normally with the IK.
    Now just press Play in the scene,
    EVERYTHING IS BROKEN, legs moves abnormally. IKs are broken.

Here you can download the project:
    https://we.tl/t-l12MhQsQNr

RevvyD likes this.
  5. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@LeleUnity Thanks for reporting. We will take a look at it.

6. Takeguro

Takeguro

Hi, changing sprite's pixels per unit recreates skeleton to new scale and does not play well with existing animations on positions. Mainly the root joint position. Are we supposed to not touch that pixels per unit parameter, leave it at defaults and scale character's transform to get it to intended scale?

7. lipemon1

lipemon1

Good night Unity fellows, @Leo-Yaik . I've been reading this and other discussions about 2DAnimations + Sprite Skinning.

Problems that I'm facing right now. We are setting up the 2D art production pipeline for a one year project. That being said, any change in the workflow after some weeks will impact a lot on rework a lot of assets outside Unity and inside Unity. So I have 3 points of doubts and claim for your help so we could come back to production. We are already 1 week delayed because of that.

First point - 2d assets import
    We want to have a 2d humanoid character rigged and animated where we can change specific parts of the body. By change I mean add a hat, t-shirt (this involves chest and arms) or just adding some boots.

To achieve this how is supposed to be the files imported?
    • One png file with body parts and a lot of others png files with variations
    • One psb file with all body parts
    • Various png files with one body part and variations on separated files.
    How to change the sprites at runtime and keep the rigged skeleton and weights?

Second point - Rig and Animation pipeline
    To achieve the example I showed above, what is the correct workflow for this? I saw different solutions but I want a answers from you to not use something that will be changed soon.

Third point - PSB x PNG
    We are facing a huge amount of difference between those two types of files. PSB are easier to produce and import but drop our fps by half in almost every computer.
    What your recommendation on use those types of files.

Thank you in advance and those new 2d options are lit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  8. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Updating the PPU essentially changes the size of the generated Sprite. If you have the Sprites or prefab that is already placed in Scene, they will be updated thus the position will be different.

9. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@lipemon1 It really depends what you are trying to achieve and without looking into the specifics, I can only advice on a general work flow.

If you are willing to discuss and share with us more on your project, do drop me a PM and we can setup a call.

10. lipemon1

lipemon1

I've just sent you a message. Thank you

11. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

Please! Could you fix these bugs? Did you watch the folder attached? Please, I cannot move forward in animating!

12. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

We are still looking into it, from our investigation, it might be something to do we how we are dealing with Undo that is conflicting with the Animation Window.

EvOne likes this.
  13. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

I suspect is connected to the fact I have deleted some layers, from the PSB file AFTER I have created the IK.
    I don't know, you could check there maybe? or maybe is related to something else... Please, Our studio is stucked,
    all our 30 charcters have IK weight set to 1 in their limbs!!

Are you checking both bugs?
    Did you donwload the project from WeTransfer before it expires?

SystemId likes this.
  14. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

They are TWO different BUGS cases !

15. -hiTo-

-hiTo-

GetCategory() of SpriteResolver doesn't return anything on disabled gameobjects. This can't be by design, can it? And if it is, what am I supposed to do about swapping sprites on gameobjects I later enable in an animation? Saving the category strings on my own seems like an extremely wonky workaround since that's basically what spriteswap is supposed to do for me.

For example:
    I have two labels for two different outfits.

Code (CSharp):
    1. SpriteResolver[] resolvers;
    3. void Start()
    4. {
    5.     foreach (var res in resolvers)
    6.     {
    7.         res.SetCategoryAndLabel(res.GetCategory(), "SecondOutfit");
    8.         Debug.Log(res.GetCategory());
    9.     }
    10. }
    I would expect this to work flawlessly, but... well, res.GetCategory() is empty on disabled gameobjects, so it sets the category of that SpriteResolver to 0 (none).

16. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

A quick update, we found out that there is a change in Unity's Animation system that is causing the issue. We have forwarded the issue to them.

EvOne likes this.
  17. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

A fix is coming in the next release for this

-hiTo- and EvOne like this.
  18. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, we are looking into the second one.

EvOne likes this.
  19. -hiTo-

-hiTo-

Thank you!

20. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

Thank you for the update. How about the first bug instead?

21. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

22. quwabe

quwabe

Hello! i'm new to unity in general and I need a bit of help with trouble shooting an issue I've been having with my psb files. while I can drag my files into unity no problem and even add bones and skin them and they look fine Screenshot (3).png , the second I hit 'apply' the sprite falls apart into one corner. Screenshot (5).png I pulled up some error messages that popped when this happen but I'm too new at this to make heads or tails of it. Screenshot (6).png
    I would appreciate any advice you could give on my issue.

23. imer38

imer38

Hello

I'm new in game developing world i wan't to learn to create my game can you help me to tell somthing for game developing and programs that are easier to learn.

24. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@quwabe can you send us the PSB file you are using? It looks like you are using a third party sofware like Gimp. Is that correct?

25. quwabe

quwabe

I use clip art studio to make my art work and it can save as a psb file I didn't realize that could affect everything so much. I had to put the psb file in a .zip if that's ok.

Attached Files:

26. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

Thank you very much Leo you are our hero! let us know on their updates!

27. _Exerion

_Exerion

I wonder how to use Animation Layers with 2D bones.
    For example, if we have Idle animation, Run animation and Attack animation. For just 3 animations it's easy to make "Idle-Attack", "Run-Attack", "Idle-NonAttack", "Run-NonAttack" combinations, but the number will grow in square when adding new animations.

In 3D, people use animation layers, avatar and avatar masks to achieve combining several different animations at the same time. For example, lower body is animated by Idle or Run animations while upper body is animated by Attack animation separately. Which allows us to combine two animations at the same time without making every possible combination of animations.

How we can achieve the same result with 2D bone animation? Avatar mask doesn't work with 2D skeleton, and 2D skeleton doesn't have avatar at all.

Just a note: no, blending tree will not help in this case, because it will blend animations completely and not combine them, while I need to apply one animation to one part of a body and other animation to other part of the body.

LeleUnity likes this.
  28. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@_Exerion Thanks for the feedback. We will look into that

29. _Exerion

_Exerion

@Leo-Yaik, does it mean that there is no way of doing it right now? Except for having two separate skeletons for upper body and lower body under one parent gameobject (which makes artist's work harder to maintain two PSB files for each of the humanoid characters)?

30. -hiTo-

-hiTo-

@_Exerion Create two animation layers, animate the upper body in one and the lower body in the other, set both layers' weight to 1. This works. Make sure to not animate any of the bottom bones in the upper body animations and vice versa, or you'll have strange results. It's definitely not ideal, though.

31. sorasora

sorasora

Is 2d animation work only photoshop *.psb and other software will crush rigging of prefab?
    Seems like a severe restrictions for free software users.
    I have always crushing my prefab of *.psb file and i use Clip Studio Paint for creating of *.psb
    And another request for support of *png files.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  32. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

We are working on having better support for PSDImporter with other third party software.
    Rigging with PNG files is supported. However, you will need to reconstruct the character back in the scene.

EvOne likes this.
  33. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

LeleUnity and EvOne like this.
  34. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

i Have just downloaded the newest version, I will let you know! Thank you Leo <3

35. bearcoree

bearcoree

Are you guys considering adding Vertex Morphing with other things than just bones to the workflow like it is possible in AnyPortrait? Here's an example:

Adding this would add tons and tons of possibilities to the package!

EvOne likes this.
  36. wtetotew

wtetotew

Hello!

Is it possible to import separate PNG in the skinning editor?

I want to rig multiple PNG together but without making just one big spritesheet.

Thanks

37. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

We do have plans for FFD but we don't have a firm release date for it yet.

jeanpoolay likes this.
  38. SystemId

SystemId

I gave the 2D tools a solid test run with a handful of hiccups.

1) Using a PSB works fine if everything is already setup, but any modifications to the PSB makes the spritesheet break, which is turn wrecks the Rig.
    (Anyone know the work around to use a PNG instead? I don't care about having to reposition stuff .. that's less of a hassle than having the rig break.

2) Is there a way to use multiple sprites .. using the same layout? This way I can swap "skins" for a game object out. I know there is sprite swapping (experimental), but I ran into a bunch of problems with this as well.

EvOne likes this.
  39. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

What modification was made that breaks the rig? What software are you using to modify the PSB file?

40. SystemId

SystemId

Photoshop .. an older version.

What would happen was that I had some layers for facial expression changes, that I wanted to modify later, so I put placeholders in those layers. Later on simply making modifications, and merging to one of those layers actually altered the layout of my spritesheet .. which in turn messed up the gameobject because sprites were no longer pointing to the correct position.
    I figured if I had used a flat PNG from the start, I wouldn't have this issue, and I could just adjust the PNG however I wanted to without worrying about new Layers changing the sprite layout that came automatically with a PSB.

Is there a Chance that instead of Layers converted into Sprites, you can use Folders? This way you can make changes within a folder and you wouldn't have to worry about altering the layout after.

Another concern I have with the current workflow:
    I have the PSB file that I drag into my scene to show the character. I added features like IKs to the gameobject. Any modification to the .PSB rig then I have to resetup stuff like my IKs again.

The tools do a lot of things right though, It's just I run into these smaller issues that snowball into larger issues.

EvOne likes this.
  41. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

The PSDImporter maps the data based on an internal layer's id that is provided by the file.
    Thus merging/deleting/recreating a layer will 'destroy' the previous created data.
    We are looking at different options to make this better.

SystemId and EvOne like this.
  42. wtetotew

wtetotew

SystemId likes this.
  43. wtetotew

wtetotew

What I mean is if its possible to add sprite separately one by one to build a rigged skeleton in the skin editor?
    Thanks for your support.
    Regards

SystemId likes this.
  44. sorasora

sorasora

My worklflow
    Import png with PSDimporter

Anima2d - for rigging
    It is not comfortable like 2DAnimation package but
    1 mistake in 2dAnimation *.psb - ruining all. Weights, riggs, spriteatlas. How to fix this? Reslice, reimport, recreate psb - i dont know, result is not guaranty.
    1 mistake in Anima2d - it is just one .*png element with some bones.
    I dont know all tricks, but my opinion -
    1. import as png
    2. create spriteatlas with all of them
    3. create standart prefab (i cant operate with ImportPSD *.psb prefab )
    4. 2 way work with this like 2dAnmation do (like atlas with rigs and weights and sliced and hierarchized by sorting order .*png)
    Is more stable then now.
    I dont pressure on developer, just unprofessional opinion.

45. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Hi,

Is there any way to reverse a sprite?

Imagine I have a simple character in which the right arm is the same as the left arm, just mirrored in the X axis. Do I have to have the right arm as an image or is there a way to mirror it?

Thanks,
    Alex

46. playemgames

playemgames

LOL Ain't nothing gonna happen!

This is from 2018:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-animation-preview-packages.521778/#post-3426534

Been talking with you guys for years about this and still sitting on your hands since 2015 when started talking about tools native to Unity for 2D animation back on bitbucket years ago. This issues page is shut down there so cannot even see the back and forth from then but have the old emails sitting in my inbox.

Too late! There are other tools that are more mature than this and won't be phased out or bugged to oblivion. I wish I had more hope for this, but really after spending a day fixing the Animation Window, it is just dying. After over 10 years just starting to look elsewhere, in the meantime FFD still works in my tools I helped to create almost 6 years ago. Other tools like AnyPortrait look decent but haven't tried myself, but if you are looking for FFD don't wait or you will be waiting forever.

47. LeleUnity

LeleUnity

@Leo-Yaik

Dear Leo, I need to put my animated charcter into the UI, in the shop menu of the game.
    I want something where you can personalize the character picking different weapons and the animated character is animated in realtime in idle animation will change its weapon.

I tried to put the PSB prefab into the canvas with no success, I used canvas oveeride sorting, I followed the steps you wrote here--->

"I assume this is because you want the 2D characters to be anchored to a specific place regardless of the screen ratio/resolution.

I believe this can be done by having the Canvas RenderMode set to Screen Space.
    1. Add a GameObject in the Canvas (this should give you a RectTransform).
    2. Set the GameObject's RectTransform anchor and place the GameObject where you will want it to be
    2.1 You can add an Image component to this GameObject and try resizing the Game View to verify the Image stay in place
    3. Add the SpriteRenderers as child of this GameObject and position it where you want it. "

but nothing works, I can't show my PSB on top of the canvas...
    I think its a bug or am I missing something? check the file uploaded to wetransfer!
    Thank you!

Link--->
    https://we.tl/t-nhEnvpJHAq

48. bearcoree

bearcoree

Awesome, thanks for the response!

49. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hi, you can find a sample here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gDTc_PwVoYLnihOUK4IlggERBJYg0lMz

Sierra815 likes this.
  50. RevvyD

RevvyD

Hi Leo. I think I have the same issue here (on 19.3) but not sure: I have some animations set up that had been working correctly and still work when previewed in edit mode, but in play mode the limbs no longer work properly. The only reason I'm not certain it is the exact same issue is that the skeleton itself is animating correctly in both cases, the problem is that in play mode the skinned sprites no longer track the bone positions. Is that the problem already being worked on or is this something slightly different?
    Thanks for your help.

LeleUnity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.