Search Unity

2017.2p1 iOS Build fails due to Unity Ads even when disabled

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nukeustwo, Nov 9, 2017.

1. nukeustwo

nukeustwo

Hi There,

I'm getting this build error when trying to do an iOS build:

DXT1 compressed textures are not supported when publishing to iPhone
    Packages/com.unity.ads@1.0.7/Editor/Resources/Editor/landscape.jpg

That resource is a unity resource and I don't know why it would be included by default even when Ads are disabled in my services. This also means I'm unable to deploy.

Is there a way to get around this error / is a fix planned for the next patch?

Thanks

Matt

2. jamescodesthings

jamescodesthings

I had the same just now. Turned it off and on again (close unity, reopen, reopen project, rebuild).

It didn't give me the same issue after the rebuild.

The issue was caused by the same files you've mentioned, portrait and landscape ad placeholders?

3. Mack91

Mack91

same issue here, a workaround we found was to link the project, enable analytics, then disable analytics then unlink the project and restart unity. Massive pain.

4. nukeustwo

nukeustwo

I found doing a full project import fixed this as well. I don't know if this is on Unity's radar though

5. ilmario

ilmario

What an annyoing bug, affecting me too!

6. akira32chen

akira32chen

I have the same error.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you can reproduce the issue, could you please submit a bug-report following the advice given in this document?

Using the bug-reporter is an important step, because it makes sure the report is in Unity Technologies bug-tracking pipeline. Using the forum is often used to add attention to an existing issue, but does not replace submitting a bug-report.

It's from advantage to attach a project to the bug-report that UT can use to reproduce the issue and test their fix against, this is especially important for crash-bugs.

The easier an issue can be reproduced by QA, the more likely it is to get forwarded to a developer, who might or might not work on a bug-fix for that at some point.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a Case number. UT often asks us to post the Case number in the forum thread, which allows them to find that bug-report if they look at your post.

Following these steps will increase the chance that UT is looking at the issue tremendously.

8. John1515

John1515

Why is this even happening? Are unused assets also included in a build!? That would explain the huge app size I sometimes get..

9. andyz

andyz

Just got similar trying to do Mac build:
    "ETC1 compressed textures are not supported when publishing to Standalone
    Packages/com.unity.ads/Editor/Resources/Editor/landscape.jpg (& portrait.jpg)"
    What the hell, not using ads!

10. PNordlund

PNordlund

In my case this is from the build report:

Used Assets and files from the Resources folder, sorted by uncompressed size:
    8.0 mb 0.9% Packages/com.unity.ads/Editor/Resources/Editor/landscape.jpg
    8.0 mb 0.9% Packages/com.unity.ads/Editor/Resources/Editor/portrait.jpg

Two biggest assets are the placeholders for some Unity Ads that certainly hasn't even been enabled for the project.

11. Gillissie

Gillissie

I just had the same issue in 2018.1. Obviously, it's very bad to include huge textures unnecessarily.

12. pevicentini

pevicentini

What worked for me.
    Double click on console message: DXT1 compressed textures are not supported when publishing to iPhone
    Packages/com.unity.ads/Editor/Resources/Editor/landscape.jpg Included from scene: UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()
    This opens the 2 jpg files in Project View, then reimport them... (Right click and Reimport) so these files will compress with the right format for iOS.
    Good Luck!

13. sschilp

sschilp

Aside from removing those files manually before i trigger a build, what's a smart way to get rid of those (given the fact that i don't use ads at all currently)?

The problem is, that my builds are done by a buildserver and the content of packages are handled on the machine and not as part of the project/repository (git).

Which means that if i remove them locally, i can not 'commit' that change to the repo.

So has anyone already found a good solution to this?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  14. seedyan

seedyan

15. justtime

justtime

How to fix this?