Search Unity

ZzZzZ UVPaint ( skinned mesh Decal+Texturing System) ZzZz

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by iRobi, May 1, 2016.

1. GenOli

GenOli

Does UVPaint recompress the character's textures to ETC2 after it adds the decal?

(I am deploying to mobile)

2. beNice

beNice

Hey. Congrats on the daily deal. We have been looking forward to getting this asset.

Is it possible to get some PlayMaker actions to use with UVPaint?

Thanks!

3. iRobi

iRobi

Hi! Yes! Fully compatible with mobile platforms.
    No, but UVPaint is very easy to use. Just one call Function to make decal!

4. GenOli

GenOli

Ok I just bought it, imported into my Android project, using Unity 5.4.0p3, I get this shader error (character in Brush Paint demo is pink):

Shader error in 'Hidden/iRobi/Projector': variable 'o' used without having been completely initialized at line 110 (on d3d9)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

5. iRobi

iRobi

So bad, UVPaint is work? Decals is applied? Color Play demo scene is work?

6. GenOli

GenOli

I just tried on Windows platform and it works, must be something to do with my Android project, will keep investigating.

Edit: Created a new Android project with UVPaint and it works, at top though it says DX11 instead of DX9, so it could be that my other project is stuck in DX9 for some reason and UVPaint doesn't like it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  7. iRobi

iRobi

I wrote the Fix. where can I send it?

8. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

We brought the plugin today too for our mobile game, which player can brush paint their characters.

May be a good idea to provide/fix a demo in Android too. I built a demo apk, the camera rotate drag is not working and the one touch paint not working well as touch (although it's not the plugin for)

Also a minor con is that the script style is a bit messy (variables use both PascalCase and camelCase, sorry I may be a bit strict programmer in styling), I need spend some time to understand the demo script.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  9. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

And I also have problem on "Saving", I assume it's the "ExportToPNG" right?

Every time I press it, part of the model became white, and nothing is saved. I stop the game and start again, the model back to original.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 6.43.10 PM.png

Unity 5.4.0p3, Mac OS X

10. iRobi

iRobi

Textures are saved at Assets folder. Demo code was written superficially. The main principle is to call just one function UVPaint.Create();

11. Guile_R

Guile_R

Does it support non skinned meshes?

12. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

I found the problem happens only in Mac (disregard I am in standalone, iOS or Android build), the PNG generated is half whiten!

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 8.58.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 8.58.49 PM.png

While in my PC works fine. Since the UVPaint.FIX function is sealed in dll, I cannot debug futher.... Can you possibly take a look?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  13. iRobi

iRobi

Yes, if mesh have Unwrapped UV

14. iRobi

iRobi

UVPaint is not officially supported Mac. If you want, I can send you the source code

15. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I just bought it. Can I request the source? I prefer to work with source packages for my game though :)

16. julianr

julianr

yes, source would be great. Trying to fix the mac issue also.

17. iRobi

iRobi

Now I am far away from my PC. I uploaded the source code in the update as soon as I can. Patience guys

julianr and ikemen_blueD like this.
  18. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I did a quick test. When I shoot very near to the wall, the decal got horizontally stretched. Is it intended or a bug?

19. iRobi

iRobi

This demo based on Unity physics. Its normal, the distance between A and B must be greater than 0

20. GenOli

GenOli

You can PM me the code/shader fix but I found a quick fix, so I could wait for store update if that's more convenient for you; I run Unity with commandline: -force-d3d11

Android now starts in DX11 mode.

21. beNice

beNice

Can we get an option to rotate textures (randomly) so that we can achieve more variation?

Your asset rocks, by the way. Great work.

22. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

Will look forward when it supports Mac...

Source code will be great or an option to set the output of PNG in UVPaint.FIX, such as path and filename, would be good too.

23. iRobi

iRobi

Thanks a lot!
    Sure, i can add it in new Update!
    No problem!

24. iRobi

iRobi

Ok

25. iRobi

iRobi

Thanks for your support guys!:)

26. eyalfx

eyalfx

Just got the system and it works well.
    However, when I try to create a decal on a texture that already has alpha and a material that uses the alpha, it completely breaks .
    The original alpha of the texture gets overwritten with the alpha of the decal and fades the whole image. any tips?
    Thanks

27. iRobi

iRobi

Hi, can you provide screenshots?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  28. Setmaster

Setmaster

Your website http://irobi.uz doesn't seem to be working, I'm trying to check the web demos.

29. melkior

melkior

Hello,

I'm having a little bit of trouble implementing your asset. Similar to ikemen_blueD problem above however the damaging object is always at least 8 units away so the 0 distance issue you mentioned shouldn't (?) be a problem?

Code (CSharp):
    1.  private void bloodyspray(GameObject damagingObject)
    2.     {
    3.         // Vector3 direction = (playercenterPoint.transform.position - damagingObject.transform.position).normalized;
    4.         Vector3 direction = playercenterPoint.transform.position - damagingObject.transform.position;
    5.         // Cast a sphere X meters from the damaging game object towards the player
    6.         RaycastHit[] hits = Physics.SphereCastAll(damagingObject.transform.position, 1.5f, direction, 8);
    7.         foreach (RaycastHit h in hits)
    8.         {
    9.             //UVPaint.Create(h.transform.root.gameObject, h.point, h.transform.rotation, blood, true, Random.Range(1.5f, 3f), Color.red);
    10.             //UVPaint.Create(h.transform.root.gameObject, h.point, Quaternion.Euler(h.normal.x,h.normal.y,h.normal.z), blood, true, Random.Range(1.5f, 3f), Color.red);
    11.             // using transform.root == really bad the entire level gets the streaking!!
    13.             //both of these give bad results
    14.             //UVPaint.Create(h.transform.gameObject, h.point, Quaternion.Euler(h.normal.x,h.normal.y,h.normal.z), blood, true, Random.Range(1.5f, 3f), Color.red);
    15.             UVPaint.Create(h.transform.gameObject, h.point, h.transform.rotation, blood, true, Random.Range(1.5f, 3f), Color.red);      
    16.         }
    17.     }
    I have commented out several approaches that I have tried above but they have similar (or worse) results.

Notes:
    • I have tried using in Update method ; no change. This should not be necessary as the game is turn based and nothing is moving between turns.
    • When attempting to use transform.root.gameObject this causes same problem except ALL floors in the entire level get the same streaking on them. So using the root is a bad idea here.
    • The asset has been changed several times to test for different results - but it is a UVmapped .obj file exported from a modelling program.
    • The asset has had different type of colliders applied(mesh,cube) to no effect.
    • The material at one point was tiled , then I removed tiling - same problem
    Thanks for any suggestions on fixing this!

Attached Files:

30. iRobi

iRobi

Hi! You can add Componet "Ignore UV Paint" to avoid unwanted decals on floor.
    So, and please, turn off "Generate Mip Maps" in decal texture, this may fix your issue.
    Write here result please!

31. melkior

melkior

Hello, thank you for the reply.

I have checked the Mip Mapping and disabled for all the texture layers (diffuse, normal, specular) and this does not change the problem.

I did try to add the "Ignore UV Paint" however this is highly undesirable -- I need to have blood splats on the floor and walls of the level ; this is the whole reason for the purchase of this asset. As the character is top down - the UV painting on the character is only small use ; it can not be seen normally.

One thing I did notice when adjusting texture parameters is that when turning "Wrap Mode" from Repeat to Clamp this shows blocky areas where the texture streaks in clamp mode. The black streaks in UVPaint very closely match the area that is effected by wrap/clamp settings ; see screenshot.

I suspect what we have is the UVPaint does not know how to handle wrap/clamp settings properly?

Thank you for your assistance!

32. iRobi

iRobi

Could you send me the part of your project, which uses UVPaint? ill try to fix this problem. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  33. melkior

melkior

I have sent you a private message with a reproduction scene iRobi, thanks for your help!

34. iRobi

iRobi

Oh no, you used tile texture... UVPaint works with UNWrapped UV, see at Color Play demo. Look at Environment Material (Texture) as example for decaling

35. Siccity

Siccity

Hey, awesome plugin, really. I have an issue though. It seems your UVPaint applies paint only to mainTexture. I need it on other layers for custom shaders. Is it possible that you could add an extra parameter to UVPaint.Create that will let me do this? Maybe like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UVPaint.Create(enemy.gameObject, hit.point, Quaternion.LookRotation(-hit.normal), bloodTex, false, 0.5f, Color.white, "_PaintOverlay");
    Thank you

EDIT: With this implemented, a user could also paint to the metallic and emission maps, and possibly even the normal map. That would be pretty useful

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  36. iRobi

iRobi

Hi! Yes, it will be in next update!)

37. Siccity

Siccity

Awesome! Thanks!

On a separate note, seams in the UV are visible when you paint on them. Maybe put an option to increase the projected UV islands slightly before applying texture would fix it.

Unity_2016-09-29_13-34-09.png

38. iRobi

iRobi

Oh, yes, it is known issue. I have idea how to fix it, but im not sure that will help. I will try

39. melkior

melkior

Hi iRobi,

The UVW's in my project are unwrapped on the objets. But they are also tiled ; so you are saying the issue is that UVPaint does not supporting tiling ? Just want to confirm?

Thanks

40. iRobi

iRobi

Unfortunately yes... But we currenly work on not UV decal, and hope, it will be in the future

41. iRobi

iRobi

As solution, i suggest use Projectors as Decals on Environment

42. Siccity

Siccity

Back again iRobi! With more favors to ask!

I've got this enemy model which is split up in limbs (arm, head, torso etc.) to allow dismemberment. All limbs use the same material, but when you shoot the enemy, UVPaint makes a new material instance for every limb, putting 6 or more new textures into memory where only 1 was necessary. I'm not asking you to magically fix this issue in my game, but maybe provide me with an option to turn your material instancing off, so that I can implement my own.

Thanks again :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  43. iRobi

iRobi

Hi!) Are you using atlas of all limbs?

44. Siccity

Siccity

Yes you could say that. I would prefer 1 texture instance per enemy instead of 1 texture instance per limb

45. Setmaster

Setmaster

I'm still unable to access the demos, your website seems to be having issue still.

46. iRobi

iRobi

Sorry for delay!
    Im think, its possible to use 1 texture. Just call only for shared material, but all character instances must have exclusive material...
    Yes, you're right, some days the site was down, but now everything is working!

47. Siccity

Siccity

How do i do this? UVPaint.Create does not have material parameter..

48. SS3

SS3

Hi

I bought UVPaint.
    Give me the source code of the dll.
    I'm want to rewrite to its own processing.

Receipt
    Order number: 15668057260589
    Date: 2016-10-14 23:22:51 (UTC)
    haru@manycolors.flop.jp

49. iRobi

iRobi

Sorry for delay! In a few days it will be updated with new functionality including support shared materials. Thanx for your patient!
    I have written to you in a P.M.

julianr likes this.
  50. julianr

julianr

Nice work iRobi, the more functionality you add to your asset to cover every scenario will make this a solid and worth having asset. Looking forward to the new functionality.