Search Unity

Zone Controller Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnRossitter, Jan 18, 2016.

1. MostHated

MostHated

I am quite serious. I have bought many assets and some I have even bought twice to simply support developers who put forth the effort. This was / could have been a great asset. I would even have been happy to buy a revamped version 2 if it was made and kept current. The toxicity you see comes from far too many assets coming out, get maybe one update, sometimes none and then the developer just disappears. I paid for a product with the expectation that it would at least have a *few* updates, at least being kept in working order even if there were no new features added.

Sure, software development companies do stop supporting their product... eventually. Typically *after* they have at least made a significant effort to keep it doing and provide updates, not just release it, talk a bunch about all the new stuff thats going to be added to it, bug fixes, etc, and then just disappear.

Sure, I would have no room to talk if it was free, but it was not, and you can't use "I was not getting new sales" as an excuse when the asset has not been kept current with the newest versions of Unity. That is not the fault of the buyer. You have only yourself to blame. If you kept it updated and people saw it was compatible, they would buy it..

If you do not plan on supporting and updating your asset, do not take peoples money. That is what depreciating your asset is for. If you are willingly going to continue collecting peoples money with no intent on at least updating it to working condition and not saying anything on the asset description about it being no longer supported, then you are the cause of the problems and the toxicity. I am not going to apologize for having put forth good faith that someone was going to follow through with their end of the transaction. Silly of me to expect to receive a reasonable return on my purchase.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. one_one

one_one

That is all fine and reasonable, even though it appears the author has made a few updates. I do agree that if no support is planned and newer versions aren't supported, it should either be deprecated or clearly labelled as such. There should be transparent communication about what's going on, even if, well, nothing is going on as far as development is concerned.

And that's where I disagree. It most likely doesn't work as magically like that. Could an asset like this have made a decent amount of sales if it had been continued further, but more importantly, with more advertisement? Probably, yeah. Would it have been worth the additional effort? Not sure. It's up for the developer to decide. Certainly, some amount of support and maintenance is great and should be/is general practice - as you said, anything else is at most bad press for the asset author. And while I do agree that it can be upsetting, I do think that the degree of hostility people display on this forum towards developers is very damaging.

I do agree that there should have been/should be some more communication on the end of the author though, considering the asset is still on the store.

I suppose if you don't know C# the purchase would be useless if the asset doesn't work with the version of unity you're using. Fair enough. But if you're a programmer? I don't have the asset, but I'm still considering getting it, even though it seems like it won't support the current version. Why? Because my own time is worth something, too, and if it helps me building my own volume system and saves me even just 3 hours (which would probably be lowballing it) in return for 20€? That'd still be a good deal in my books.

3. MostHated

MostHated

That is great and all, but I didn't buy a "build and maintain your own asset kit" and nowhere does it say that that is what you are going to get.

4. lalamusa0123

lalamusa0123

Hey,John I have the same issue with unity 5.6.1

5. secondsight_

secondsight_

So, this product is dead ?

6. MostHated

MostHated

Very much so, unfortunately.

7. Khan97

Khan97

Hi, I have a question. Does Zone Controller Free and Pro versions support Mobile (Android and IOS). If they do, are their any requirements to make it work?