Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Zombies

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Swearsoft, Aug 24, 2013.

?

Are you interested in a high resolution zombie pack?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Hi guys,

I'm creating a set of zombies, starting off with the male base models that I will turn into various zombies.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Older caucasian male and zombie-fied African male:

3. StarAbove

StarAbove

This look awesome indeed! Just a question, will the dae/obj be included so we can customize it in our own 3d program (blender)? It's nice, but sometime not all animations that we want are included and we want to add our own. And what's the price?

4. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Source will be included, yes. I'm not sure on price. I haven't assembled the whole thing yet. When it's more clear what will be available it will be easier to get an idea for the price range.

Currently my main goal is to make the male version of the zombie with a few variations for faces and bodies and a collection of clothing. I aim to make everything in high resolution, so for desktop use mostly. Then I want to complete destruction and I will most likely include a simple AI system, with damage and a state machine.

5. StarAbove

StarAbove

Awesome! Got a feeling this pack will be great. I'll be watching this thread for new updates.

6. CGCxXSMALLSXx

CGCxXSMALLSXx

Looks awesome man

7. janpec

janpec

Koyima nice zombies there, i like the outline shader also that they are bit stylised. Interesting though you dont have any scratches on them which are usually present on zombies.

8. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Thanks. Hmm, scratches, I will look into that.

9. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

In unity, slightly modified the chest and added some test wounds:

[video=youtube_share;_BsnMehm3Bc]http://youtu.be/_BsnMehm3Bc

10. Icoplay

Icoplay

The models look really great and the animation is smooth and convincing, but they don't look haggard and rotten enough to be zombies.

The quickest way to tell something is a zombie is by seeing its disgusting fatal wounds - maybe make it so they're missing a cheek or something. Gruesome.

11. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

You are correct, I'm getting all my base meshes and base sculpts working. Then I'm going to focus on destroying them. A small start is what you see here:

12. chelnok

chelnok

Looking good! I suppose this aint gonna be on assetstore in few days :) Nice add to the pack could be some body parts like part of the leg etc ..and perhaps variations like zombies missing legs with crawling animation. Too much?

13. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Actually body parts and variations are totally in the schedule. As far as the asset store: it depends on the community, if enough people are looking for something like this I will put it up. The voting isn't really helpful, since a bunch of people not doing a zombie game are simply going to say no. I guess I only need to count the 'yes' answers though.

So if you are looking for something like this to be available on the asset store, voting would show me if I should continue.

14. gamerant

gamerant

I'm not into making a zombie games really.Well maybe not yet,but this looks amazing and I'd say this would be a great add in the asset store.
    Don't give up on it even if a lot of people say no.

15. chelnok

chelnok

Already voted yes :)

16. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

The latest picture of the zombie is awesome! It would be coool to have a lot of varieties, which I'm sure you'll provide. You didn't mention the polycount. How high will the zombie's tris be? Or is it still unknown since it's still too early to tell?

17. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

This is just great as it gets, cant wait for it, it would be cool if you could ad The Last Of Us style zombies within' this model

18. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

these are cool , but you know lost his face, but perfect body??

19. Yippie

Yippie

Look really nice, you should do something with the clothes to make them look old and ragged

20. georetro

georetro

Holy crap that looks amazing :) I really like it. Dayum, can't keep my eyes off of it :p

21. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Hmm, it seems some people are interested after all. Check out this small sample then.

[video=youtube_share;ipmxe13xAjo]http://youtu.be/ipmxe13xAjo

In the background you will see something from another project of mine.

22. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

[video=youtube_share;WT-UyVn35i8]http://youtu.be/WT-UyVn35i8

Currently the decapitation is very crude - no need to hit the head, it just separates after some force is applied (very small value here).

Anyway shadow_fire,noori,yippie and georetro thanks for the comments. Specifically 1) yes the bodies will get damage, 2) clothes are going to be dirty and bloody with cool normal maps too.

Actually the most daunting task isn't actually modeling, texturing, animating or even coding this stuff - the daunting part is the fact that I have to decide what approach I should take in order to get variety with performance in mind and at the same time ensure I will be able to decapitate and damage the zombies in various ways. I have to account for draw calls, trying to keep them low and at the same time having variation means some kind of packing everything.
    Currently it seems I'm not going to rely on one master zombie that creates all others, but rather have a few master zombies (at least some different ages and race) or else getting the damage, hair and initial wound variations to a satisfactory level seems unlikely.

23. Bombatit

Bombatit

the asset store is missing some good quality zombies, the Fat zombie on asset store is good but i need more

24. Tamino

Tamino

Hey man, check out the zombies from The Walking Dead show. If you could get something like those up on the Asset Store, tons of us will buy them like hotcakes. Currently, there are no good options for realistic zombies on the Asset Store. I recommend to use reference pictures from the show.

25. chelnok

chelnok

getting better, nice vids, cutting the head is awsome :) Freaking powerful sword you got there!

You think its possible to add animation like normal character transforming to zombie? Another thing i have in mind is some sort of idea, if its possible to do ..cluster of zombies, you know like lot of zombies as a group to fake situations you got "million" zombies chasing you ..or group like they are climbing to reach you when you are on top of a building. I understand its not possible to have that many actual characters, but perhaps its possible to somehow fake it with combination of big group and ..few actual characters front / top of the groupmesh? Sorry if my suggestions are out of topic :) ..i do understand the poll is "Are you interested in a high resolution zombie pack?", but looks like you are already doing more.

26. derkoi

derkoi

They're great an all but whenever anyone attempts to make a zombie game they get slated for being unoriginal. Maybe if you're looking to sell them, try making some other kinds of human enemies.

27. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

and yet, people gobble the games up like candy. I'm just going to be making the zombies, not a zombie game. If you check out the wip section of this site alone you will see a ton of zombie games in development.

I too thought the trend was over, but the reality of the matter is that there still is demand for the genre and there are things in zombie games that fans want, but game developers haven't delivered on.

For example:

- a bunch of people want to be able to play as the zombie (not a special infected),

- a bunch of people want survival with scavenging, building and day night cycles, but the "best" is like a minecraft gone bad,

- survival with co-op on a server, the one game that does it got some real flack on reddit, because it had a ton of crap. the flack reached the point they simply changed the name of the game and relaunched,

- the day-z mod is considered good, but have you actually played it? Only people who find an accurate army simulation fun would actually consider this mod playable,

- the day-z standalone is coming, great. what's taking them so long? who knows if and what they are going to deliver. making a mod and delivering a standalone are very very different.

- There was a walking dead game with the redneck brothers, got crappy reviews.

- The walking dead game with the toon shaded characters got good reviews, but it's story driven.

- Dead rising 3 is looking promising, I doubt there will be a pc release.

- Dying light (parkour and zombies) seems like the best in terms of graphics, but it is also made by the creators of Dead Island, which from what I hear is terribly glitchy.

There are a bunch I have left out and a bunch I don't know even exist and though it does feel everyone is making a zombie game, in the end I can't count on one hand the satisfactory experiences delivered. end rant.

(left 4 dead is my favorite and one my favorite games, but it's not for everyone)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  28. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

well the negative votes don't really count do they? somebody can be making a candy crush type game, he doesn't want zombies, he just came in here and said 'NO'. There a number of active zombie project here on the forums. The reality of the situation is this: at some point they will need zombies for their games and although it might be the "easiest enemy" to make, going from easy to actually implementing zombies with variety and quality is a whole different matter.

29. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Ok, as we can do heading off, it would be great for every part off, and someof them, having the bone but skin gone

30. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Yes, that's what I'm going for. It complicates stuff, but I'm going to do it.

31. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

thank u too for listening to what we want :D

32. MMortal

MMortal

33. Euphoric

Euphoric

The details on your zombies look great! This looks like a pack that would save allot of time. Ill be keeping a close eye on this. Keep up the great work!

34. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Thanks for the comments, I will have an update shortly.

K.

35. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

A clean set of clothes, before they become zombiefied:

36. Andy Charlie

Andy Charlie

How many polygons have this model?

37. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

It's not for mobile if that is what you mean.

38. monsieur_alpha123121

monsieur_alpha123121

39. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

40. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

[video=youtube_share;IdRQcGFMLwg]http://youtu.be/IdRQcGFMLwg

Small update.

41. primus88

primus88

Maybe it's the video, maybe it's me... but I think that it is hard to actually observe the zombies face.
    Being black does not really help with the zombie facial traits.
    Also the clothes should be re-worked to suit those of a zombie.
    As for the animations, I would say that it needs a running animation as well. Right now they look very slow.
    Also if you can add another death animation. Like a simple falling on it's knees and then face down in the dust.

Looks good up to know.

42. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  43. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This is great Koyima! Models look fantastic. The zombies look somewhat stylized and I really like that. They look unique and different that other zombie models