Search Unity

Games Zombies in Space - A 2d, sci-fi, metrovania style shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ArcboundGames, Nov 6, 2020.

1. ArcboundGames

ArcboundGames

Zombies in Space, is a 2d, sci-fi, metrovania style shooter.

My name is Dan Lautzenheiser, and I am the sole developer on this game. I am doing all of the gameplay, art, music and sound design. I am a software developer by trade, and I have been making this game in my spare time for about 6 months now. This is not the first game I have created, but its the first one that I consider any good. The game has gone through a few different iterations, starting out as a open world, voxel style, multiplayer game, but that idea proved too time consuming and complex to reasonably get released anytime in the next couple of years by myself. Over the summer I got really burnt out working on it due to all of the engine and tool development I had to do, so I took about 2 months off to rethink the approach. In September, I decided to switch to my current metrovania style approach, and have been running with it ever since. My main goal is to create a demo level, that will be mostly feature complete, by the end of January. I will make the demo available on Itch.io when it is ready.

I am starting to create weekly (or as close as I can get) devlogs and will be posting those here along with screenshots and other updates as they come along.

Most recent devlog:

CrawlerZombie.gif
    Ent.png
    Ent.gif
    destructible-objects.gif

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. ArcboundGames

ArcboundGames

Devlog #1 is available!

3. ArcboundGames

ArcboundGames

This week has been focused on tightening up the player controls and adding the last major part of combat, melee. Both of these I deemed necessary before I take the next big leap (hopefully this next) of crafting the first boss fight of the game.

The main focus for the player controls was to focus in on the core elements: running and jumping. Jumping in particular needed and received a lot of love this week, moving from a technically accurate jump (as per physics) to one that felt much more responsive and fun to play with.

Next week's focus will be on completing the boss sprite conversion from 16 bit to 32 bit, then crafting the first playable version of that boss fight.

Follow me on Twitter for nearly daily updates - https://twitter.com/ArcboundGames

Help support the game on Patreon! and pick up an early copy - https://www.patreon.com/arcboundgames

4. ArcboundGames

ArcboundGames

Zombies in Space - Devlog 3 - New Guns, New Enemy, New Sounds!

5. ArcboundGames

ArcboundGames

Zombies in Space - Devlog 4 - Making the Tutorial