Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Zombie Melee - Multyplayer Co-op Shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Allen0012, Mar 24, 2013.

?

How do you change this game? (multiple choice)

1. Co-op zombie shooting will be fun

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Keep zombies but add new game mechanics

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Enough with the zombies, remove zombies completely

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Co-op PvP (No AI component)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Remove Co-op feature

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Allen0012

Allen0012

Zombie Melee is a work in progress title, and has been under production for one and a half year now.
    It is a top down multiplayer shooting game, you can join a team on your PC, Mac or Android device, help your team and blow up some zombies.

Features:
    • Cross-platform - Join the game using your favorite platforms (PC/Mac/Android/Linux)
    • Enjoy various free weapons
    • Unlock new weapons as you gain higher XPs
    • Upgrade your weapons for better performance
    • Advanced weapons and upgrades will be available to purchase
    • Increase your XP by blowing up zombies and helping out friends

Comments and ideas are most welcome, please let us know what you think and like to see in the game.

Steam Community:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133597334

Video:

Screenshots:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. Silverjade

Silverjade

Lighting and textures are very appealing to the eye, the feel of it is fluid for not knowing how the controls work.

WASD and shoot towards mouse I'd guess. Also are there any features in this game or ideas or anything that really sets it apart from it's competition that has the same art style, same gameplay, and same enemies?

Thanks.

3. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thank you,
    The controls are WASD for movement and arrow keys for shooting (joystick simulation). The idea is adding mouse aiming would make it unfair for touch screen users.

Well I'd say this is multi-platform co-op that make it different, you get to join teams apart from shooting zombies you have to keep up with the team and make sure all the team members are holding up.

And again we made the game info public to get the ideas and game-play ideas that you think others might like better.

4. GeneBox

GeneBox

Love the looks!

5. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thanks, great to hear.

6. FlodLab

FlodLab

Nice job, love the individual cartoonish look. could you provide a closer look / concept art of the zombies?

7. Allen0012

Allen0012

Cartoony look was exactly what we've been going for. Great to hear people like it.
    Also added the zombie photo.

8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks fantastic!! I am definitely looking forward to play this.

BTW, I am a bit confused, is this made in Unity or Source Engine? In your youtube video it says "Valve Hammer Editor"....

Also, how did you do the explosion? That looks REALLY good. :D

9. taichiu727

taichiu727

are you going to realease this for pc or for phone?

10. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thank you,
    Yea I should've mentioned, Valve Hammer Editor is used for the environment design, where the actual game and environment is completely being made in Unity3D.
    And the explosion isn't particle effects. It's an sprite sheet of explosions, plus a script to animate it, along with some lighting of course.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  11. Allen0012

Allen0012

We've kept triangle count as low as possible, so yes we're aiming for cross-platform game-play. It'll defiantly need a minimum requirement to run the game on Android tablet/phones.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. barker_s

barker_s

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but I've worked with Hammer some years ago and I believe that there's an entry in the EULA that states, that you're only allowed to create maps for Valve products with it. Can't find the document atm, but I'd double-check on that if I were you to avoid any legal troubles.

BTW - game looks great :) .

13. hellcaller

hellcaller

Looking great!

14. fano_linux

fano_linux

very nice game

15. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thanks for your point, maybe having the logo is misleading. The actual game is being made on Unity. Hammer Editor is solely used for design purposes. Not sure if Hammer Editor is compatible with Unity either.

Thanks. ;)

16. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thanks guys. :)

17. iWoundPwn

iWoundPwn

Looks very fun, can't wait to see more! How long did it take to put this together? Scripting and all.

18. Allen0012

Allen0012

Great to hear, started roughly one and a half year ago.

19. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

That's intriquing, what cause you to use Hammer Editor? And how does it work with Unity? What formats does it export to?

Awesome sauce! Thanks for sharing. It really does look fabulous. One of the best explosion I have seen - it actually reminds me of the Unity's own Butterfly Effect explosion.....

20. Allen0012

Allen0012

Well as I mentioned earlier, I did the environment design in Hammer Editor, as a "concept" tool, since we didn't have a concept artist. I'm not sure if you can export maps made by Hammer Editor.

Thanks :), though the difference is that Butterfly Effect is volumetric explosion, where ours is just a number of sprites, which would be better solution for higher performance.

21. tasadar

tasadar

seems nice but i think you should consider using mouse control for pc and dual stick control for mobiles. check out monster shooter.

22. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thanks for the video,
    Mouse control is an option, if we decide to go with mouse control on desktops, to keep the fairness, I might add aim assist to mobile devices.

23. Khyrid

Khyrid

One thing you could do is nerf the mouse by making the cross hairs more slowly follow the mouse position. Then you could make it so larger weapons are slower to aim while smaller weapons are faster. Then with the controller auto-aim you would make the auto aim assist work faster for smaller weapons.

I prototyped successfully with a similar mechanic before. Of course you wouldn't want to over do it. If the PC users are waiting for their slow cross hairs to get over the enemy, they would get annoyed. This idea can work with visible cross hairs or just following the tracers to aim and leaving the cross hair object invisible.

24. Allen0012

Allen0012

Good idea to have different aiming response times for small/heavy weapons. Thanks for the advice.

25. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Those textures and trees look awfully similar to those in Team Fortress 2...
    Other than that, looks great!

26. Muhannad_Taslaq

Muhannad_Taslaq

i like the idea , is cool .. i think working more on the story would make it more attractive , i think the graphics are nice :) looking forward to play it

27. Allen0012

Allen0012

you're right, I talked to the artist who provided me with the props, we're gonna have to change that before any kind of release.
    thanks for letting me know.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  28. Allen0012

Allen0012

Thanks muhannad, great to hear. :)

29. Allen0012

Allen0012

Features added to description.