Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Zombie Drive WIP

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by psychicparrot, Jul 28, 2008.

1. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Hey guys,

WARNING : THIS GAME IS BLOODY AND GROSS!

This is a webplayer version of my spare time project, Zombie Drive. Since I don't *get* much spare time, progress is slow but steady ;)

Have a drive around and let me know how it 'feels'... still a looong way to go, but at this stage I want to know how the car feels since I'm getting some conflicting feedback on whether it's too slippy or not...

It still needs more sound effects and whatnot, so don't be suprized when something happens that *should* have a sound attached is silent etc.

The nuke effect at the end of the game is a little lame, too. I'm working on it!!

This uses the awesome pause menu gui code that was kicking around the forums, so hit ESC if you need to drop the graphic level or volume etc.

Oh yeah, arrows to drive, space to handbrake (you'll need it!) and press R to restart the car if you get stuck / roll it whatever :)

NEW VERSION WITH MORE TRACTION AND WIDER FOV!

http://crank-dev.fuelindustries.com/zombies/TestDrive.html

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing what you guys think..

Jeff.

2. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

loads to 100% and...nothing yet.

3. kinl

kinl

Awesome.... I love zombies even more when splating them across my windsheild :)

I'm not sure if the dolly zoom when you set off should happen when you reach a quicker speed, it feels a bit nauseating from the off, maybe mid to full speed would work best.

love the zombies, keep it up :)

Edit: I also had it load to %100, hit refresh and it was fine, I mainly work and browse on a PC at the moment so I'm used to things like that ;)

4. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Joe ... did it ever load? Is my pre-loader messed up? :(

Thanks, Kini .. still lots to do, but this is pretty much the game I was aiming for. Just a straightforward drive around kill zombies lol ... just needs polishing up and getting the handling 'just so'. I agree that the field of view changing can be a little jarring, so I will have a tweak!

5. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Gah, several retries and it won't start in Safari.
    I'd feel cheated and bitter if I didn't run down zombies IRL on my lunch break.
    I like the idea of the city being nuked as a timer thing.

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Same here. I'm using Safari and OS X 10.4.11 on a 17" iMac.

7. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

As a Pro license user, I'm entitled to live vicariously through other developers that can actually make games.
    I want a refund :(
    Or I'll try it in firefox.
    edit: Same thing. Loads to 100% then nothing w/ FireFox

8. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Joe ... try the non-streaming and see if it makes any difference?

http://crank-dev.fuelindustries.com/zombies/TestDriveNonStream.html

I have no idea what might be causing your player to stall.

You have the latest player and everything, right? 2.1? I'm running Safari and it works here ... saying that, it's on the internal network as I'm 'borrowing' some company bandwidth ;)

Thanks for your time / trouble, Joe. I appreciate it :)

Edit:

Gah! bigkahuna can't run it, either? I don't get it!

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The non-streaming one worked on my machine...

10. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

That worked nicely.
    Reminds me of Carmageddon meets Crazy Taxi (both good things).
    I'll play with it some more later when I'm not at work.

11. Achim

Achim

the same at my machine - 100% and nothing happens :cry:

12. nickavv

nickavv

Got it working with the non-streaming version. Streaming version got to 100% and then nothing happened.

Anyways, cool concept. I got 18,000 points. It was kinda hard to drive, as the truck accelerated too fast. Also, there were black junk pixels all over my screen.

Mac OS X 10.5.4, White iMac 17'', ATI Radeon x1600

13. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Just loaded the 2.1 player and the same result in Safari w/ the streaming one, FYI
    Thanks for the reminder to load the new player though.

edit: It just occurred to me, mentioning Crazy Taxi, it'd be great to have to drive people out of the city whilst ramming and e-braking through zombies.

14. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Looks cool.

Although I was wondering how the car will hold up against a nuclear blast.

15. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone :) awesome!

The handling needs a little work, since it is great for long track racing but not so good for such a small environment and the kinds of maneuvers you need to make to catch those zombies I think.

I have no idea why the streaming player didn't load. That's odd ... but hey, it's only 4mb so I'll just non-stream it for now then :)

Thanks for that, Joe.

Crazy Taxi with zombies lol very cool!

Oh ... and I think the truck may withstand the blast, but the driver is likely toasted ;)

Jeff.

16. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Collaborate with someone here and have the nuclear explosion blast your truck into someone else's game. Just to throw a curveball to the unsuspecting Color Cubes Puzzle game player or what have you.

Seriously, handbraking broadsides into zombies is as close to baseball as driving gets. I found the spacebar to be useful for more than just handling. :)

17. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

:D that would be so funny ... you're playing a match 3 cute puzzle game and for NO REASON WHATSOEVER an El Camino flies by! Haha

Hmmm ... zombie baseball? I think I feel a spin-off title in the works ;)

18. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Cool, like it, very well done.

Might be an idea to widen the view a bit to help with orientation?

May I ask what your work-flow was to make the zombies - what apps did you use? I've not tried anything with people characters yet...

keep up the good work.

19. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Thanks, RobbieDingo!

The characters were built in Maya and exported to fbx. The only difference between these guys and other characters is the naming of the bones so that they tally up with the standard ragdoll names (a lot easier when importing them in to Unity!)

Outside of that, they were produced in Maya just like any other character would be :)

Thanks,
    Jeff.

20. Der Dude

Der Dude

Did you switch the Version by now? Because I could play with the link you posted in your intial post with no problem.

The controls for the car seem too sluggish. As though the driver needed 4 seconds to turn the wheel form left to right. And I agree, that the car feels too slippery.

Other than that, I really like the zombies, the killing and the music!
    The environment is a bit empty and lifeless, but I guess in such an early version, thats bound to be this way.

Keep up the good work!

21. MrBodean

MrBodean

The first time I tired it froze on the 100% but just did a page refresh and it started right away, this was in FireFox on Mac

22. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

same here... I loaded it, then refreshed, then clicked start and it hiccuped a bit and then started.

23. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Nice work. Nothing beats the smell of zombies in the morning.

The player log prints:

Level level couldn't be loaded because it has not been streamed in yet. You need to ensure that levels which have not been streamed in yet are not loaded.
    UnityEngine.Application:LoadLevel(String)
    Front_end_menu:OnGUI()

[/Users/unity-build/Desktop/automatic-build-2/unity/Projects/../Runtime/Misc/Player.cpp line 213]
    (Filename: /Users/unity-build/Desktop/automatic-build-2/unity/Projects/../Runtime/Misc/Player.cpp Line: 213)

---

You have to check if the level has been streamed in prior to loading it. (Application.IsStreamedLevelAvailable)

If i wait for the download to complete prior to hitting play it works fine. So it seems to be a simple, Application.IsStreamedLevelAvailable -> greying out button and making it not try to load the level yet.

24. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

oh the humanity... poooor zombies... :)

streaming version loaded to 100% then nothing on win32/internet explorer... alt version worked fine...

lots o fun...

--Mike

25. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Thanks, Joachim. I'll fix that today then :)

Great feedback so far, guys ... I have a little list of things to do to make a better game:

1. Make the car handling tighter and less slippy.
    2. Try and open up the view a little (perhaps widen the FOV we'll see)
    3. Fix the streaming version as per Joachim's advice

That's my todo list for today, though I have a bunch of other stuff like 'hassle designers until they decide to give up free time to design a nice in-game HUD' ;)

Thanks!
    Jeff.

26. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

The same here... the no-stream version works fine, while the other stops at 100%.

Looks really cool so far! With a little tweakin in the car physics, it will be really great. Cant wait to play the next version ;)

Frank

27. drJones

drJones

that's pretty fun - great premise.

the car physics feel good, i agree a bit tighter maybe. i think there should be a bit more city to drive around in though - its a little too confined as it is now. nice work so far : )

28. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

I get some strange artifacts that make it a little hard to play, I would assume however that this a graphics card thing.

2.33 intel MBPro

Attached Files:

29. MentalFish

MentalFish

Good fun :)
    I would've liked to see the car be a bit more slippy, as it was a bit rigid feeling now. Perhaps we are talking about two different kinds of slippy here? :)

30. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Luke - that's an odd one. Thanks for posting the screenshot ... I'll see if I can recreate it on any of the machines at work.

Petter ... hehe that's funny. Always the problem with 'tactile' games like racers in that everyone has a preference as to how the car feels. Personally, I actually agree with you and enjoy the slidy 'drift' like experience ... so far, the score is:

2 - Like the car to be more slippy / less traction
    2 - Like the car to be less slippy / more traction
    1 - Likes it just the way it is now!

Play-testing tells you things about your game that you never could have anticipated... :)

It just takes one more vote for less traction or more traction to decide which way I take it at the weekend!

Thanks guys,
    Jeff.

31. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

PsychicParrot,
    as the designer your wishes should always count a little extra.

"Have fun or you will certainly bore us all." - Marcel DuChamp

32. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

True... but after a while, you play the game so much that even the most insane control systems seem to become natural, so feedback is good :)

If I end up getting equal votes both ways, I'll just stick with how it is now.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

33. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

Luke, that looks like the known bug from when Apple broke the drivers in 10.5.3. At least that is what happens intermittently on my MBP now.

34. rockstrongo

rockstrongo

I get the same artifacts on a 17" iMac (2Ghz RAM, Radion X1600) running 10.5.4 - other than that and the previously mentioned control refinements it's a great little game, definately scope for something really cool.

35. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Ouch ... I just tried it on a PowerBook G4 ... computer said 'no'! lol

It's great until I get 10+ zombies in there - since it's set to allow 50 zombies in the world at any time, it sure gets to crawl quickly!

Guess I need to:

a) optimize zombie models
    b) optimize zombie brains

!!

:)

36. Krise

Krise

Great game, even greater potential! The truck needs slightly slower acceleration I think, and the controls a very very sensitive to twitching ;) Would be great if some of the zombies stuck to the truck somehow. Why not have one dangling at the end of rope hanging from the rear for that extra handbrake turn reach?

Love it!

37. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Thanks, Krise!

Yeah ... I don't want to encroach on the awesome territory of Velociraptor Safari, so having things towed or dragged behind is something I'd prefer not to do because of that.

I do like the idea of zombies sticking to the car, though. I'll give it a try and see if theres any way I could get a joint to hook one up for a little ride ;)

Jeff.