Search Unity

[Zios] Editor Theme Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Brad-Smithee, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Unfortunately, in Unity's current design, the text color of selected/highlighted text is based completely on whatever the focused GUIStyleState's text color is. For instance, in the textField GUIStyle's focused state, this corresponds to Colors > Text > Text Button from the palette. It remains this color regardless if the text is highlighted or not.

I've not tested the Animator system. Styles have not been specifically built for it yet. Can you add this to the issues tracker?

Odd. The entries in the project panel should be top-left-aligned unless you are renaming them. What fontset/fonts are you using? The only way I was able to get something close to what you showed was to really ramp up the Fonts > Main > Size offset value.

2. AbhimanyuAryan

AbhimanyuAryan

It's not just about the animator section. Its about all the windows even in scene window when we select multiple things by drawing & stretching

3. AbhimanyuAryan

AbhimanyuAryan

can you make the sprite editor background little dark. White sprites are not even visible clearly. With light theme we get default sprite editor with light checkboxes.

But the dark theme spite editor has more clear visibility

& same thing for preview pane

Attached Files:

4. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Yes, you are correct. It looks like the SelectionRect GUIStyle is using an opaque background image for some reason. Until an updated skin file is committed, you can tweak it on your end by going to Simplicity.guiSkin -> SelectionRect -> Normal and set the background to something like ColorHighlight50 (which is a half-transparent version of the palette's highlight color). Shift+F1 to manually refresh/reload the skinset.

AbhimanyuAryan likes this.
  5. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

hi,

so my whole editor glitchesout when using this theme system, how do I fix this?

6. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Glitches in what way? Can you capture a video?

7. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

8. Ruchir

Ruchir

well then how the default style has support for different slected text text color??

9. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Yikes! That's definitely not something I've seen (or seen reported yet). This may relate to some of the NPOT issues that affected some Nvidia cards/drivers. Do both themes have the same issue?

The skinset is already set up to use a unique focused text color (Colors > Text > Text Button). As I explained, selected text color is not something Unity supports. The focused form text colors are controlled by the palette.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  10. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

not the defualt unity skin

11. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

What I meant was, does this issue occur with both of the provided themes "Simplicity" and "Classy"?

12. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

idk I deleted it out of project now

13. Alcarendor

Alcarendor

I've been use the Simplicity->Obsidian theme for a while, but I've a big problmen now with the profiler.

profiling error.JPG
    As you can see, the color labels of the left side have disappeared.

14. mysticfall

mysticfall

I just found that using Zios theme also affect how IMGUI controls look in the play mode. Is this an expected behavior? Is there any way to make them use the default skin (the dark one, which is shown in screenshots from the manual)?

15. AbhimanyuAryan

AbhimanyuAryan

When is the update coming with fixes?

16. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

I'll likely invest some time and make a large number of fixes (which are majority style-based) when Unity 2017 hits an official release.

Ruchir, Novack and Leslie-Young like this.
  17. AbhimanyuAryan

AbhimanyuAryan

ok, @Brad-Smithee that sounds cool :)
    Also, if possible try to make it look better on Retina Mac...Round corners mainly. Thanks

18. pachermann

pachermann

Thank you so much for this Skins, Brad-Smithee!

this is a great thing!
    Iam night owl and my eyes hurt wih white or bright skins, love your simplified dark skins!

C_p_H likes this.
  19. Hayden12

Hayden12

You are an absolute legend. Thank you so much.

20. Khaeops

Khaeops

Hey Brad,

Is there any way that we can retain the original Unity icons? Some of the original ones don't look as good, such as Boolean tick boxes. The dropdown menus, tabs, scrollbars and other things look cool, but I still prefer the default Unity ones. Customisation on these would be perfect!

Unity 2017.1 is out, and I've tried it out there, with a minor error (probably expected, it was built for 5.6). I don't know how to reproduce it, but it mentions something about "EncodeToPNG" or something like that. I assume it has something to do with the icons.

Other than that, great plugin!

21. Khaeops

Khaeops

I've encountered another issue. I can live with it, but it would be nice to fix:

When hovering over an input field or button, the field can highlight instantly for any Unity-native script. But for a custom script, the behaviour is heavily delayed. This persists even with hover response set to 'instant'.

For example, hovering over the Transform component's values will trigger instant highlight responses. But make a new script and give it some variables, hovering over them in the inspector will have delayed responses.

I have noticed that the first variable name in the script in the inspector seems to remain highlighted for some time. Moving the cursor updates it, before it quickly jumps back to the first variable name.

22. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

This is faken incredible!

23. Nemetex

Nemetex

JUST THANK YOU!!!

24. AbhimanyuAryan

AbhimanyuAryan

have you updated the plugins with known UI flaws. You said few months back that I'll update when 2017.1 will launch

Please do it now man :(

25. arvzg

arvzg

I am also hoping for an update for 2017.1 and beyond :) no pressure though, take your time, you're doing god's work

Loius and pachermann like this.
  26. methos5k

methos5k

I just installed this yesterday and have to say I'm really liking it.

2 small things to mention:
    1) a few of my folder and file names are cut off slightly at the beginning. Only a few and only part of a character usually.
    2) it would be really "cool" if I could toggle an option that would .. when I hover over an element it tells me to where that corresponds in the list of adjustable areas :) Or a cheat sheet that could help me know which is which lol

It's very nice, though. After about 30-40 mins of setting it up and designing a scheme to my liking, I'd say I got 97% perfection :)

Thanks for trying this and making it.

27. dozhwal

dozhwal

Thank you a lot for your work.
    i don't know why i didn't find it before today. it's so coooooooolllll !

A bug in unity 2017.1 and i don't know why it occured.
    i made some change in color palette in an empty scene. it was okay.

i added @Themes to an existing project.
    Fonts didn't show. UI was not usable.
    in the Log editor file, there was a error loop with : "Colors attempted build before initialized."

i created an other empty scene, i iadded @themes. it was okay. i switch for a premade theme.
    and so i could import @Themes in my existing unity project

Thank you a lot for this plugin, it changed the unity life ! (who wasn't so bad until now ;) )

Edit : timeline seems to bug with the theme but it is not a surprise because it's new.
    Edit2 : in 2017.1, the theme disappear during playmode and reappear after.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  28. Khaeops

Khaeops

So it would seem that my mentioned issue is solved if the [ExecuteInEditMode] attribute is added to the top of the Monobehaviour of a custom script. Unusual, but there's the workaround.

29. DavidJares

DavidJares

I want to say thank you thank you thank you thank you sir for pulling of this amazing masterpiece. It feels like putting off shoes that are too small all the time. ( Now after 2,5 years of using unity :)

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Timeline and console are not skinned in unity 2017.3

31. DeepSpaceMaster

DeepSpaceMaster

I'm using mac and after I downloaded the file to the assets folder and went to Unity preferences, Themes was not one of the options. When I moved the folder to the assets, I got a message saying that I don't have permission to use "mono" (I need to get that fixed) but that is the only idea I would have for it not working.

Attached Files:

32. DeepSpaceMaster

DeepSpaceMaster

Never mind. I deleted the file and put it back and it worked.

33. DeepSpaceMaster

DeepSpaceMaster

When I pressed themes, it wouldn't open and I found out why. :( None of the files are for my version (5.0.2)

34. methos5k

methos5k

Not sure if this is still being worked on. I really liked this theme.
    However, I just installed the f3 release of 2017.3.0 and any project (even a new , and empty one) with this package causes a fatal crash when closing Unity. :(

Novack likes this.
  35. Yahma

Yahma

I love it!
    You gave me happiness.

36. NotEvenTrying

NotEvenTrying

I normally never use the forums and am always logged out, but I'm making an exception today and logging in just to say I love you for this. <3 My eyes are eternally grateful

Novack likes this.
  37. NotEvenTrying

NotEvenTrying

Also, I second @methos5k's issue, I also have a crash when closing Unity

38. starfoxy

starfoxy

I tested this with 2017.3 and 2018.1. Both crash on closing Unity. Any updates or fixes for this? Otherwise, this is fantastic work!

39. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

I took a hiatus from development for most of 2017. I'm getting back into the swing of things now on various projects.

The crash issue was fixed quite a long time ago on the source repository, but no release build has been made. At this point, there are certainly plenty of new Unity Editors/styles that need filling in and a few other bugs that need squashing, but I will try to at least get a non-crashing release out the door soon.

C_p_H, starfoxy and SINe-DEPRECATED like this.
  40. methos5k

methos5k

Cool, looking forward to that..

41. starfoxy

starfoxy

Great Brad! I am looking forward to this as well.

42. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Download Zios.Themes-r603-Windows-2017.3.1.zip

This is a stopgap release for 2017.3.1 support on Windows.
    Make sure you delete all exists Theme assets/dlls before extracting.
    Comprehensive changelogs, repository sync, features, and style fixes will arrive after a bit.

I could use some additional testers to provide style examples and issue feedback more directly.
    Feel free to message me on Discord for discussion (Bradical#2561).

43. arvzg

arvzg

@Brad-Smithee Just had a quick go of it in Unity 2017.3.0p4 and most things are working fine, except Timeline is still unstyled (is this still WIP?), and seems to throw errors:

Attached Files:

44. SINe-DEPRECATED

SINe-DEPRECATED

Thanks for the update, my eyes are already feeling better.

I've been getting this error though. Tried deleting the "Assets/Themes" folder and trying again, but to no avail.

Attached Files:

45. C_p_H

C_p_H

@Brad-Smithee

Will you generate the macOS build also, when time permits?

46. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Right. I've yet to create replacement styles for the newer 2017 editors/windows/elements. I'll likely try to build an automation process based on style name (assuming Unity remains consistent with their style naming conventions). If nothing else, it'll give a foundation until manual replacement styles can be made.
    This has occurred in the past, but the AssetPostprocessor I have setup should be catching all images in the Themes folder and properly adjusting their texture format/settings. Do you have a script with your own importer settings that could be overriding it?
    I have no real way to test (still waiting on any forum users to reach out on Discord), but try this.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    C_p_H and starfoxy like this.
  47. SINe-DEPRECATED

SINe-DEPRECATED

Nope.

However, I did notice I only get the error when my build target is Android. No errors when the build target is Windows.

48. starfoxy

starfoxy

I have a mac and would like to help with testing. The build you posted here yesterday has issues in 2018.1.0b10 (Unity preferences window freezes up when clicking themes) but I have yet to try it in 2017.3.1. I will report back here once I do. Thanks Brad!

***update***

Seems to work great on El Capitan Macbook Pro Retina, Unity 2017.4.0f1 - Experimental Metal support enabled!

No crashes on closing. I will update once I have played around some more.

Really excited about this! Brad, you are awesome.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  49. D-nax

D-nax

Hi, right now i'm using the theme on 2017.3.1f1.
    THIS THEME IS AWESOME! Nice work!

Though something's bothering me.
    Is it normal behavior that you can apply different theme for edit mode and play mode?

50. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Only if you have Separate Playmode Settings enabled in theme preferences.

D-nax likes this.