Search Unity

Zero width assets and GI,PL

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by konsic, Jan 10, 2020.

1. konsic

konsic

Is it better to create zero width assets or with assets with thickness when using progressive lightmapper baked indirect and realtime GI in HDRP?

Assest which have thickness would theoretically produce more lightmaps and longer build. Is that correct?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Depends on the scene.

3. konsic

konsic

How do you mean ?

4. iamthwee

iamthwee

I always thought you NEEDED thickness to prevent light bleeding issues. That being said I don't intend to bake LMs anytime soon again lol .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. konsic

konsic

If I don't use faces which are infinitely close, then lightmaps should be smaller in size, right ?
    u2.JPG

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That's mostly for real time lights. For completely baked stuff, it's better without thickness, but again depends on the setup.

The best compromise is to model single sided face for the interiors and then enclose that whole environment with some dummy geometry that is there only to cast shadows and avoid bleeding and is set as static with a lightmap scaling of 0.

7. iamthwee

iamthwee

In my tests it doesn't matter . . . planes without thickness cause light bleeding issues regardless if they are seemless.

Well last time I tried enlighten. . .

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm not talking about enlighten (and I'm assuming konsic isn't either)

iamthwee likes this.
  9. iamthwee

iamthwee

hmm interesting, never knew that.

10. konsic

konsic

PL = progressive lightmapper

11. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

If you need a lightmap texture on both sides, then you'll need to use a thick mesh. Otherwise, you only have one set of UV coordinates and there's no way to store different lightmap information for either side.
    If you just need the geometry as a blocker that contributes to the GI calculations, but doesn't need a lightmap, you can use thin geometry, in most cases with a double sided material to avoid invalid ray queries.
    You can also setup thin geometry and only light it via probes now, but you'll need a current version of the editor for this feature.

12. konsic

konsic

In order to use it, I need to set geometry to static and in every mesh panel switch from lightmaps to light probes?

13. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

There's a blog post about how this feature works.