Search Unity

Feature Request Zed editor is now open source

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by ScottyDSB, Jan 27, 2024.

1. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Hello everyone.

Zed editor is now open source. As it seems a very fast and reliable tool, any chance that it could be integrated with Unity? As long as I know there is now direct integration now. And working with Mac makes me think of it, because Visual Studio for Mac is dissapearing. I know of Visual Studio Code but I'd like to get into another option.

https://zed.dev/blog/zed-is-now-open-source

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I'd say: don't get your hopes up.

VS and at a later point Rider, that's the only two IDEs that have been supported all along and both sufficiently provide everything a developer needs.

VS Code just happened to sneak in there a few years back simply because it was an employee's love-child, but has since been deprecated from Unity's side and MS is continuing to develop it but it is still in "preview" and remains unsupported by Unity.

VS for Mac is still going until August 2024 plus an unspecified period of maintenance updates. I'm sure you'll still be able to use it just fine going into 2026+. I would just wait this out until the last moment and let alternatives mature.

3. halley

halley

If you don't need single-step debugging, ScriptInspector3 is an awesome alternative to using external IDEs.

I hear rumors he's working on debugging support for SI4, maybe next year.

AasifHaque likes this.
  4. ScottyDSB

ScottyDSB

Thanks for the info. I'm using Rider starting four months ago and I'm very happy, but of course it's a month payment and I'm just another desperate game developer. But in the end I think I will continue with Rider as other tools are not available. Always talking about Mac of course.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Would be nice, I'm trying it now, it opens really fast. If I could find some highlighting for shader code, I could be tempted to use it to replace sublime.