Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

zbrush tutorials for a non artist begginer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enzoravo, Oct 24, 2019.

1. enzoravo

enzoravo

hello, i'm a coder guy who wants to enter into the modelling world.

i know about zbrush, mudbox and others software; but i want to learn zbrush.

anyone here can share with me some easy tutorials for non artists guys to start modelling on zbrush?

thanks in advance for all your help.

2. iamthwee

iamthwee

3. enzoravo

enzoravo

4. Martin_H

Martin_H

Why? There are good reasons to pick zBrush over all others, but it's one of the least intuitive (3D) programs in the world, and you should actually have a good reason to start with this instead of e.g. Blender. Blender is a lot easier to learn to use than its reputation promisis, and imho zBrush is a lot harder to learn than its widespread use by professionals might make you believe.

Be aware you're looking at two hurdles: mastering a new tool/software, and learning to know what to do with it. If you lack the foundational skills of an artist, you need to catch up on those too, and those take a lot longer than figuring out how to use a sculpting program. Many tutorials do a terrible job at making that distinction when they promise to help you "learn zBrush/Blender/Mudbox/3DCoat" and show the results of someone who clearly learned more than just using that tool.

5. enzoravo

enzoravo

i choosed zbrush because it seems to be easy to work with, tried blender many times, but i had found a big wall, the interface is kind of terrible, that is the main reason for me to go for zbrush.

about the part you talking for the basics for the artist part, i'm aware of it, just want to learn something new, i love coding and will never stop doing it, but want to learn other stuff related to the game developing world.

thanks for your advices @Martin_H

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Have you tried blender 2.8? Clearly you havent based on what you said about the interface. Everything is entirely different and massive studios are now using it including ubisoft.

I suggest you look into it instead of buying zbrush. Zbrush isnt any easier anymore. Good luck :)

@enzoravo https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-80/ take a look at that. Its like its a new program, literally everything is different and interface now matches most DCC apps :) Just saved you $299, Your welcome! :D

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Olmi

Olmi

I would not touch ZBrush now that Blender 2.8 is out, especially if you are new to 3D. I've used ZBrush since early versions and I only need a two week break to forget some of the hacky things you have to do to achieve thing x, and then I have to go check it in docs/google it. Not a good place to learn 3D. Blender is much better nowadays for that.

And I would split that process of learning 3D into two things like @Martin_H said, there's that technical part of learning the new tool, and then there's the artistic skill part. Both are equally important to learn well, but the latter is a lot more important as you can transfer your fundamental skills (like drawing, understanding composition, shapes and forms, lighting, color theory, anatomy and so on) to another application/medium. If I were you, I would probably start by watching (digital) art tutorials similar to what ctrl+paint does, so that you start to get good grasp of the art basics, instead of diving head first to ZBrush...

Martin_H and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Just to balance it out, zbrush is still industry standard though, if you're looking for jobs, and has a great auto retopo tool, more features etc, though nothing beats manual retopo IMO.

Still my expertise is with blender sculpting so obv I'm gonna plump for that.

9. Martin_H

Martin_H

Well... it isn't. :)

Blender 2.80 received a new interface that likely will make more sense to you than the interface it had when you last tried to learn it. It's a hell of a lot simpler than zBrush's interface for sure.

I recommend you learn Blender, because overall it will be the most usefull to a gamedev, but if you really are only interested in sculpting right now, and willing to put up with some severe limitations, I suggest you try out the free tool "sculptris", which was bought by pixologic: https://pixologic.com/sculptris/

zBrush is great, I bought it and used it on projects, but imho good reasons to pick it over Blender are its ability to push around more millions of polygons than other tools, lower reliance on the GPU power of your rig (almost none at all iirc), bigger & better toolset, different feel to the sculpting tools, possibly better support for integrating it with other tools in the pipeline etc., but NOT "ease of use".
    Pick zBrush if you "need" something of the things that make it unique or if you want to "get serious" as a 3D artist and want to be more employable in the industry. But don't fool yourself into believen zBrush would be easier to learn than e.g. Blender, it isn't.

10. enzoravo

enzoravo

thanks for all the advices, i will give a blender 2.80 a try this weekend.

Martin_H and iamthwee like this.
  11. hard_code

hard_code

Best free tutorials to learn the software side of Zbrush are from the master himself Michael Pavlovich https://www.youtube.com/user/Pavlovich2005/featured

He has a new playlist that goes over all the major features

There are a lot of specialized paid tutorials on gumroad, udemy, and pluralsight.