Search Unity

ZBrush news

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by holmeren, Jun 11, 2009.

1. holmeren

holmeren

2. Scrat

Scrat

Wow that makes me want to be an artist :p

the developers behind ZBrush are pretty genius!

3. jbuck

jbuck

They are true pioneers in many ways. Zbrush has opened up digital 3D to traditional 3D artists the same way Wacom/Painter/Photoshop opened up digital to traditional 2D artists. It's an amazing program and I use it daily but from the perspective of a 3D artist the learning curve can be steep. It's almost easier to learn if you have no 3D experience! :)

What I love about Pixologic is that the upgrade to Zbrush 4 is FREE to all registered users of Zbrush 3.

4. fivearchers

fivearchers

O..M..G..

I have a big problem with this folks - whenever Pixologic releases cool new updates, my productivity tanks. I mean I may need to be working on AI for a tank, but when this hits I will lose precious hours screwing around :)

Of course when I'm done screwing around hopefully I'll be able to make a much nicer looking tank whenever the AI gets done :)

5. fivearchers

fivearchers

HOLY CRAP

GoZ

:eek:

6. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

Wow, nice.

One thing that springs to mind though - how does it deal with the various levels of copyrighted images on the web? Does it somehow only allow access to libraries where the copyright status is explicitly stated? Or does it keep a record of the sources of the images you used, and leave it up to you to check that you haven't infringed anything?

Seems like a problem that might arise, if the app gives you unlimited access to any images off the web, a la google image search.

- Ben

7. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Where's the bit where the software automatically imparts artistic ability? :wink:

8. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

That's nice. But I've just noticed GoZ.

... :eek:

Wow!

9. melmonkey

melmonkey

When I heard the upgrade to 4 was free, I was shocked. I bought ZBrush 1.5whateveritwas, two weeks before 2.0 was released so I got it for the best price and the free upgrade to 2.0. Since then I have gotten 2.1, 2.5, 3.0, 3.1, and now 4. all for free.

I guess either Pixologic has some ridiculous continuous sales numbers, or Ofer is just rich enough, and decided he has a big enough pile of money :D

Either way, I love me some Pixologic. They are good to me.

10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Yeah - I'm a little worried about this, too.
    It surely is great for their users but how do they generate income that way?
    We saw where 3DRealms went like this a few weks ago. Not that I mind getting upgrades for free - definately not. But I'd hate it more if ZBrush vanished and only left Mudbox out there. I learned to prefer Zbrush over Mudbox. :?

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

For modellers, the most important thing at the time is creating buzz.
    If they get the stuff to the user, they get more mouth to mouth prop (as this and the other threads on Z4 show) which will generate more sales.
    The next step would be an affiliate program to actively get people to advertise it among interested parties.

12. maxfax2009

maxfax2009